Hehe, Just Started Downloading Win 8 Pro

should have it in about 20 minutes

Friday, October 26, 2012 by starkers | Discussion: Personal Computing

No, I didn't like it at first, but I've warmed to Windows 8 over the last few months, especially after Stardock's brilliant release of Start8, and now I don't mind using it at all.  In fact, I'm that comfortable with it I'm going to make it my primary OS and run it on my No.1 machine

Yup, given that I read AMD's FX series CPU's were designed with Win 8 in mind, I reckon it'll really kick some butt on this 8 core beasty, with 16gb of RAM and 2 Corsair 3 Series SSD's in a RAID0 array.  I mean, this rig is pretty quick with Win 7 on the SSD.s, but Win 8 totally flies, and that's just on an ordinary platter drive.  Hmmm, I don't imagine for one moment I'll have to take it to the edge of space t get it breaking the sound barrier, not on 2 RAID0 SSD's and 4.2ghz.

Anyhow, it's done downloading... see ya's.

DaveRI
Reply #1 Friday, October 26, 2012 12:42 PM

Have fun starkers   "May your installation be as smooth as a baby's bottom."  Crank that baby up

starkers
Reply #2 Friday, October 26, 2012 2:01 PM

I sure hope it's s smooth as a baby's... well, without issue, at least.  I've just completed all the groundwork in preparation for the installation, so everything is right to go, and I've done a full backup of my current Win 7 setup with Acronis... just in case I wanna put it back.  Nah, not really, but if I want to I can easily install it on my 2nd machine using Acronis' new 'Dissimilar Hardware' feature, meaning I won't have to reinstall all my proggies and skins, etc.

Also, I quite like the Windows 8 purchase and download setup.  Everything is done from the one window... the setting up of your hotmail/live email account details to log in with; the actual purchase; the download; the setting up of your installation media... either a bootable USB or an ISO image to burn to DVD or both.  I did both, t' be sure, t' be sure.

Anyhow, I just realised 's 4.00am and that I should have been in bed hours ago... but that's me, getting engrossed in something and losing all track of time.  Besides, I'll focus on the installation if I have a sleep and get stuck into it when I get up.

Niiight all.

Uvah
Reply #3 Friday, October 26, 2012 3:38 PM

Good luck and sweet dreams dude.

RedneckDude
Reply #4 Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:01 AM

My dual boot install went fine. Good luck, Mark.

Wizard1956
Reply #5 Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:38 AM

I am entirely underwhelmed by the performance gains in Windows 8.

Ugly, missing features, No WB's, needs third party help right out of the box.......for little to no gain.(or a loss)

I fail to be impressed.

But you have newer hardware than I so maybe you can get more out of it. I'll stick with 7, I don't feel the need to "keep up" with crap.

LightStar
Reply #6 Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:58 AM

Wizard1956
I am entirely underwhelmed by the performance gains in Windows 8.

My thoughts exactly Wiz. I see no performance gains over Windows 7 at all.

RedneckDude
Reply #7 Saturday, October 27, 2012 9:01 AM

I'm not viewing Windows 8 as a Windows 7 replacement. Not even as a tool or a useable OS.

I see it as a toy. And I got it for 15 bux....so I'll use it to familiarize myself with the OS for the upcoming repair jobs I'll be getting...hehe.

Uvah
Reply #8 Saturday, October 27, 2012 9:27 AM

Greedy!

I like greedy.

starkers
Reply #9 Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:05 AM

Well I have Win 8 Professional x64 installed and I'm in the process of setting it up to suit my wants, likes and needs.  I still have a way to go and I've had a few distractions, so I'm not as yet able to say how exactly I feel about it.  It is faster than Win 7 and it appears to be quite stable, but I'm going to need more time before I can truly assess it.

The one thing I can say without reservation is that the flat UI is bland and uninteresting to say the least.  Roll on Windowblinds for Win 8, that's all I can say, cos it's in desperate need of prettying up.

Oh, and thanks, Stardock, for Start8, it's really helping this OS behave the way I'd like it to.

RedneckDude
Reply #10 Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:18 AM

starkers
Ditto!

RedneckDude
Reply #11 Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:19 AM
starkers
Reply #12 Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:54 AM

RedneckDude
BTW, Starkers......

Yeah, I saw that the other day and thought how good it was that a few Stardock apps already run in Win 8, and it'll be better yet again when WB is Win 8 ready.  No doubt, Neil is working diligently to make that happen now the final release is out, and it'll be the icing on what is otherwise a very dull cake, UI-wise.

kona0197
Reply #13 Saturday, October 27, 2012 2:49 PM

Hey Starkers you do know that Windows 8 is tied into Google right? Just kidding. Honestly though I'm with the other guys in this thread. No reason to use 8 when it offers very little over 7.

taltamir
Reply #14 Saturday, October 27, 2012 2:57 PM

RedneckDude

I view it as an upcoming learning experience for MS.

Uvah
Reply #15 Saturday, October 27, 2012 3:22 PM

Would you believe I still have the eval version. A fat lot of good that is now huh. Its already expired.

starkers
Reply #16 Sunday, October 28, 2012 5:59 AM

kona0197
Hey Starkers you do know that Windows 8 is tied into Google right?

Dammit!!!   Well if that's the case I want my 40 bucks back.

kona0197
Just kidding.

Thank goodness for that...pheeew.

Thing is, kona, we have 2 Android tablet PC's that are tied into Google, so whether I/we like Google or not, it has become a fact of life for just about everyone who use the internet or a smart phone these days.  True, I'd prefer not to use Google products whenever possible, but there was no doing that in the case of the tablets.

It was either an iPad or an Android device because nothing else was available at the time, and the Android won hands down, price-wise and for the  extras out of the box over an iPad.... Flash, USB, HDMI, etc, etc. In fact, my niece, who's an ardent i-everything fan, saw what these tablets can do and ditched [and sold] her iPad to get for one herself.  Nope, no way was I going with an iPad, though I will probably look into one of MS' Surface tablets a bit further down the track.

kona0197

I thought that at first, and because of Metro, which I thought unavoidable at the time, there was no way I would upgrade to Win 8, either.  However, it occurred to me that MS is not likely to ever return to Windows as we know it, and that each successive edition is likely to depart even farther from it.  So with that in mind, and the likelihood that MS will cease support for previous OSes by Windows 11, I figured it was best to get on board now, before the gap broadens too much and it becomes too steep a learning curve when that time comes.

It's something to think about, and with Windows 8 Professional going for just USD$39.99 for a limited time, there's probably no better time than the present to get on board.

taltamir
Reply #17 Sunday, October 28, 2012 4:38 PM

starkers

I don't care about windows as we know it, I care about a UI that was designed for the device it is going to be used on.

Tablet UI for tablets, Desktop UI for desktops.

And MS will backpedal like its going out of style if people don't buy their "new and improved" product.

starkers
Reply #18 Sunday, October 28, 2012 6:37 PM

taltamir

I wouldn't count on it not selling.  A local electronics store near me had a rush on Win 8 Pro for $69.00 and sold out [200 copies] the first morning it went on sale.  Similarly, Officeworks in the same complex ran out that afternoon and advised its customers, that due to high demand, no more would be available from MS until mid to late next week.  And the PC store in the same complex, had 20 copies and sold out an hour after it opened.  We're talking around 500 - 600 copies from one suburban shopping centre... and that's just one of 7 complexes with electronics outlets in my regional city alone, not to mention all the independent PC and electronics stores city-wide

Oh, and those figures were just Windows 8 installation discs.  PC's with Win 8 pre-installed were not part of the discussions I had with staff while in those stores on Saturday, but it'd be safe to say several pre-installed machines were sold on day 1.

Nah, by the time you count the first day sales in my small city, the state capital, the 7 other state/territory capitals, and all the regional cities of Australia, not to mention 1st day sales for the rest of the world, me thinks MS will do quite well out of Win 8.  We'll soon see, cos MS will be crowing about it in a few days I'm sure.

So, when support ceases for Win 7 and all before it, well there's always a Mac or Linux if you don't care for the direction Windows has taken.  I don't particularly like the tile interface on a desktop, either, and there's a lot of other shitI don't like about Win 8, but I see the need to adapt sooner rather than later, because the learning curve will be too steep if one waits until Win 11 to give Win 7 the flick and upgrade.  By then I imagine Windows will be pretty much unrecognisable to anyone who stuck with Win 7 or older, so it's either get with the program now or get left behind.

DaveRI
Reply #19 Sunday, October 28, 2012 7:37 PM

So how's it doing on your processor?  I've forgotten which FX you've got? I'm kind of wondering if you're seeing any difference between the Win8 pre-release and final.  I didn't realize just how reasonably priced those FX's are

kona0197
Reply #20 Sunday, October 28, 2012 10:25 PM

starkers

Well to do that I would need a new computer. I don't have any income so I am stuck in Windows XP land or Linux land for the time being. I doubt Windows 8 would run well on a 10 year old Pentium 4 setup even after the upgrades.

Besides why would I want to use Metro? Or install Stardock software to make it go away?