'And another computer dies'

Sunday, October 14, 2012 by Philly0381 | Discussion: Personal Computing

Oh yeah, just like it has happened to some of you folks, there I was, minding my own business when my computer just started acting up and doing strange and crazy things.  I ran all the anti-virus and malware scans and came up finding nothing.  Only problem was that each time I rebooted something else was going wrong.  After the third reboot and not being able to get to Control Panel from the Start Menu I kind of knew there was a problem.  Had it looked at and was told the PSU was going bad and doing bad things to the Motherboard, and here I thought it was just a virus.

So I salvaged the harddrive and video card, which seemed to be okay (got my fingers crossed) and ordered me a new computer.  Not alot of money to spend so I got what I thought was the best for the money.  I ordered this,  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2767786&CatId=4928  .  I ordered 12 GB more memory to take to the max of 16GB.  I have 2 1TB HD's for movies, music and pictures that I access through a docking station and the 640GB drive from the other computer that I will use for back up.  The 500GB drive in the new system is more than enough for the small amount of programs I have.

Strange that this just seemed to happened with Windows 8 being released shortly, hmmm.

This system will satisfy my needs, just need to figure out how to take better care of it.

It's been around two weeks but I sure don't like using my back up XP computer, old and slow, but it fits my personality.

Napean
Reply #1 Sunday, October 14, 2012 5:29 PM

Solid rig.  Specs are more than enough for my purposes.  Hope it works out for you.  Not sure what a PSU is, but after your post, I'll look it up

16GB of RAM...how things have changed!

Philly0381
Reply #2 Sunday, October 14, 2012 5:42 PM

PSU = Power Supply Unit

Adding ram is still one of the least expensive upgrades that will help your system work better.

Reply #3 Sunday, October 14, 2012 6:12 PM

Good luck with it Philly.

If it was only the PSU... replacing that should solve all the problems.

Philly0381
Reply #4 Sunday, October 14, 2012 7:04 PM

It had all ready done bad things to the motherboard Doc or I would have looked at doing that.  I'm not much with the hands on fixing stuff when it comes to computers.

Jafo
Reply #5 Sunday, October 14, 2012 8:14 PM

If you toasted your PSU, leading to your MoBO carking it.... invest in a UPS while you're at it.  Nothing beats 'safe' electricity....

MarvinKosh
Reply #6 Monday, October 15, 2012 12:08 AM

Goes without saying that if you buy more PSU capacity than you need, you may spend a bit more but it's less likely to overheat and become inefficient,  Generic power supplies, despite their low cost, tend to give a false economy except on low-end computers.

The GPU I eventually settled on is so mid-range it doesn't need the extra power connector, never mind coming close to taxing the more-than adequate power supply that I got.  But I have the option to upgrade if I really want to.

Philly0381
Reply #7 Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:29 AM

The new computer should arrive by UPS this afternoon.

I've tried to go over in my head what should be the first things to do, here is what I've come up with.

1.  Take it out of the box and make sure it boots up before adding things like the extra memory and video card.

2.  If everything is okay go online and download anti-virus and anti-malware programs, CCleaner, etc.

3.  Make sure I have current Windows updates.

4.  Once that is done, shut it down and open it up and add the additional memory and video card and update the Windows information.

5.  If that works then it's on to downloading some programs and transferring the data from the old harddrive.

6.  Once I'm satisfied I'm back with everything it's wiping the old harddrive and setting it up to use for back up.

Well what do you think, did I miss anything?

kkunderwood
Reply #8 Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:05 PM

I hope the computer comes well packaged as my experience with UPS brings a whole new meaning to "drop shipment"! UPS delivered an oxygen concentrator for my wife's jewelry business that had obviously been dropped. When I stated that I wanted to open and inspect the contents to see whether there was any damage, the driver said he wouldn't wait. Well, it was damaged and UPS wouldn't accept responsibility, so I had to pay to have it returned to the manufacturer who very nicely sent me another one at no charge.

Philly0381
Reply #9 Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:19 PM

I know what you are talking about kku, about a year and half ago I order and 47in LED TV through Amazon.  It wasn't UPS that delivered it but the TV needed to be replaced.  This stuff does happen so over time I've learned to handle it.

Jythier
Reply #10 Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:22 PM

UPS - we're not responsible for what we do.

DaveBax
Reply #11 Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:41 PM

You better get that thing up and running soon. Themes are backing up you know.

Wizard1956
Reply #12 Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:07 PM

Philly0381
Well what do you think, did I miss anything?

If you don't have a good surge protector (not to be confused with a power strip), get one. Don't skimp on it, good ones are worth the money.

Before installing anything at all, make the system recovery discs and a repair disc. This will take 3-5 blank DVD's and one CD

If you wish to be cautious: Download the AV you want to use now, save it on a flash drive and install it before even going on the 'net.

Check the manufacturers website for any updates to your rig. Some may have been released since the unit was built.

I would wait until the rig has been used at least a week before cracking the case open, btw. It will function fine with what it came with for that long.

Most electronics will either fail or display any issues by that time and if you need warranty service, it's best that it hasn't been opened up and modified/upgraded.

Philly0381
Reply #13 Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:23 PM

Wizard1956

Now that's the kind of advice I was looking for, thank you Wizard.

kkunderwood
Reply #14 Tuesday, October 16, 2012 3:05 PM

Not to be confused with my earlier comment regarding UPS the shipper, get an Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS). A UPS will keep the tower from being crashed due to a short power outage and it provides surge protection as well. The bigger UPS have a serial USB interface that will notify the computer when the battery is getting low which then will allow a proper shutdown or hibernate.

I have two UPS units, one on the file/print server which also powers the network hardware and the wireless. The other powers the media center in the great room.

Jafo
Reply #15 Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:13 PM

Not to be confused with my earlier comment regarding UPS the shipper, get an Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS). A UPS will keep the tower from being crashed due to a short power outage and it provides surge protection as well. The bigger UPS have a serial USB interface that will notify the computer when the battery is getting low which then will allow a proper shutdown or hibernate.

If you toasted your PSU, leading to your MoBO carking it.... invest in a UPS while you're at it. Nothing beats 'safe' electricity....

Hawawaa
Reply #16 Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:10 AM

That sucks... Ya I just lost another harddrive, all my homework was backed up. Man this 2nd custom was hungry 1 mb and 2 hard drives. Hopefully its done eating parts.

Jafo
Reply #17 Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:21 AM

Hawawaa

2 HDs within a short time?  Last time I had such an issue [it was a P100] was caused by the case being 'live' .... the soldered PC speaker  [that thing that used to give you the post beeps] was shorted to the chassis....

LizMarr
Reply #18 Friday, October 19, 2012 12:45 PM

Philly0381
The new computer should arrive by UPS this afternoon.

3.  Make sure I have current Windows updates.

Well what do you think, did I miss anything?

Get a UPS. A surge protector helps only if there are surges. An Uninterruptable Power Supply will keep the computer running if the power fails keeping the hard drive from landing so that it is messed up and a few other dozen things bad. They will keep things up long enough for the power to come back on, or the software to turn the computer off, or for the human to turn the computer off. I once survived a two week power outage (lived way up in the woods) by using my computer conservatively. That was back in modem days.  If you live in an area with crappy power, like I do now, get a line conditioner/UPS. This way if the power goes down, you are covered. If the power goes brown, you are covered. If the line goes hot, you are covered. Both of these devices have surge protection but I get a surge protector too because I'd rather the surge strip got burned up than my line conditioner. The sad thing is that from 2 to 5 years after you get a UPS or conditioner the battery starts going bad and you gotta buy a new battery or device. *eyeballs 5 year old line conditioner* I got mine on sale at NewEgg quite some time ago, dunno who has the sales ATM. Amazon looks to be even better source now.

The 1350Va 850W is mine. Use more or less the same selection rules as for a UPS. Generally you can get a few less watts.

The 1,000W has nine, count them, 9 receptacles in the back. Remember, this is also a surge protector. Some had front, some have rear plugins. (not going to spell that other word a second time) I see at least one that looks like a beefed-up power strip.

Jafo
Reply #19 Friday, October 19, 2012 7:37 PM

LizMarr
Get a UPS.

Clearly my comments are invisible....

LizMarr
Reply #20 Friday, October 19, 2012 8:16 PM

I wanted to make SURE they were seen. Besides, nobody nags like a woman.