Do MDI buttons display in Windows 7?

Friday, August 31, 2012 by k10w3 | Discussion: Skinning

I keep skinning the MDI buttons (Edit Controls-->Edit Menus and Menu Bars-->Menu Bar Items-->Min, Restore, Close buttons), but I don't ever see them during my work day.  Is this another item that's gone the way of the dinosaur in Windows 7?

LightStar
Reply #1 Friday, August 31, 2012 2:13 PM

Good question!  Wish I knew.

gmc2
Reply #2 Friday, August 31, 2012 4:42 PM

can't remember the last time I saw one???

k10w3
Reply #3 Friday, August 31, 2012 5:09 PM

This is the exact reason that I asked Neil to give us a Windows 7 base skin in Skin Studio, (so I would know what doesn't need to be skinned for Windows 7--you know, with all the "not 7" items removed), but I guess I wasn't clear enough with my request.

LightStar
Reply #4 Friday, August 31, 2012 5:14 PM

I have been telling them they need a separate SKS for each OS for two years.  But no one wants to invest in it I guess.  Maybe with Windows 8 they will have to, I sure hope so.

neone6
Reply #5 Friday, August 31, 2012 5:34 PM

LightStar
I sure hope so.
Sweden do to

Neil Banfield
Reply #6 Friday, August 31, 2012 6:37 PM

Those buttons appear in mdi apps like mIRC.

k10w3
Reply #7 Friday, August 31, 2012 8:06 PM

Thanks, Neil.  I'll keep skinning them, then.

danioc
Reply #8 Friday, August 31, 2012 10:15 PM

Neil Banfield
Those buttons appear in mdi apps like mIRC.

Also mIRC is a good app to keep, to test MDI controls in general, once you restore the window

using the MDI buttons, you can also see how the UIS2 frames and minimized window caption looks.

You can download it and run in trial mode with no time limitations (just a splash screen)

k10w3
Reply #9 Friday, August 31, 2012 11:36 PM

Thanks, Dani.  I appreciate your input and will heed your advice.