Arriving at My Place Monday

new case & mobo to keep up with the times

Saturday, July 7, 2012 by starkers | Discussion: Personal Computing

This.....

arrives at my place Monday.

It's the new Thermaltake Chaser Mk 1... see external link for more info.

The main reason I'm upgrading my case is to have access to 2 front USB3 ports and an eSata port up front as well.  More importantly, however, is the HDD dock on top, allowing me to plug in any SATA drive [HDD, SSD] without power or USB cables... and I do have several drives without cases, so it saves me having to swap drives in and out, etc.

To enable these new features, though, I have to get this....

It gives me the header to connect the external USB3's my current board doesn't, plus it gives me x 8 internal Sata's and x2 eSATA's on the back panel... meaning I could have a total of 11 SATA devices.. not to mention 10 rear USB's and 4 front USB's, so there's plenty of room for expansion should I need it.  Besides, the black mobo will look rather grand in that case, eh?

And to juice this up I'm getting the 8 core AMD FX8170 CPU.  Total cost [case, mobo, CPU]... AUD$540.00

Will post some pics once I've got it all together.

neone6
Reply #1 Saturday, July 7, 2012 12:08 PM

Cool

RedneckDude
Reply #2 Saturday, July 7, 2012 12:10 PM

neone6
Cool

Very!!!!!!

Reply #3 Saturday, July 7, 2012 12:46 PM

Mark... wishing you years of health to enjoy real fun and joy with your speed demon! Enjoy!!!!!

Wizard1956
Reply #4 Saturday, July 7, 2012 1:29 PM

That's a real beauty of a case! Have fun.

starkers
Reply #5 Sunday, July 8, 2012 3:31 AM

neone6
Cool

RedneckDude

Quoting neone6, reply 1Cool

Very!!!!!!

Wizard1956
That's a real beauty of a case! Have fun

Thanks guys, I sure will enjoy this beauty... I'm SOOOOOOO looking forward to the parts arriving tomorrow... then putting it all together, which for me is the fun part. While it is all tool-less assembly, I always enjoy the challenge of cable routing to have the least inside to block airflow, etc... which reminds me.  This case has great cooling with x2 22cm fans on top; x1 22cm fan on the side; x1 120cm fan rear; x2 1210cm fans front and x1 120cm fan on the bottom. I took the optional fans as well because of the heat factor here in summer [sometimes up to 42c - 44c] and if they're anything like my current Thermaltake fans it'll still run quite quietly, almost silently.

mrs_starkers
Reply #6 Sunday, July 8, 2012 3:39 AM

[quote who="starkers" reply="5" id="3188098"] I took the optional fans [/quote

I knew you was full of air lol

Uvah
Reply #7 Sunday, July 8, 2012 4:24 AM

That was a steal @ AUD$540.00! Here in the states that might be like 6 or $650.00 (guessing here). A speed demon like that all together off the shelf would be like......a thousand bucks! I'll do what you did and save the rest. lol

starkers
Reply #8 Sunday, July 8, 2012 8:29 AM

mrs_starkers
I knew you was full of air lol

You should know... having to retrieve  the bed covers from the ceiling fan once or thrice.

Uvah, the CPU alone is in the vicinity of $320 in the US, and I think that's just for the FX8150... link.  I'll be getting the FX8170, a latter version, for $189.00 AUD.  The case is around $169 in the US, I'm getting it for $145.00 AUD, and that's with 3 optional fans installed as well.  The mobo cost me $204.00 AUD, and I've seen it going for around $239 - 260 in the US.

Hehe, it's about time we Aussies got our PC parts cheaper than in the US.  I used to look at US component prices and cuss like all f**k that we'd be paying anything up to 35% - 40% more for ours, so yeah, I'm tickled that the boot's on the other foot right now.  I'm getting more bang for my buck and I don't have to save as hard to get what I want/need... and at these prices I can do it more often, too.  My next purchase will be a 1200w PSU to replace my 800w, but that'll be a couple of months or more away, me thinks.  US price $309, I will pay $286.

Anyhow, just one more sleep and it'll be here... then the fun begins putting it all together.

harpo99999
Reply #9 Sunday, July 8, 2012 9:54 AM

starkers, you will enjoy working in the case as I have already built two systems with them for customers.

the only issue with the side fan is it will push DUST into the case which will build up and block the cpu/gpu fan/heatsinks.

the top two fans and the back fan SHOULD be blowing OUT, with the side and front fans blowing in, the front fans have a dust mesh in front of them and it is easy to pull the front/top  fan covers off .

anyway ENJOY the new system

harpo

Savyg
Reply #10 Sunday, July 8, 2012 10:10 AM

Arriving at my place Tuesday

damn holidays

Jafo
Reply #11 Sunday, July 8, 2012 10:49 AM

starkers
x1 120cm fan rear; x2 1210cm fans front and x1 120cm fan on the bottom.

Must be one effing big case..... Spell checker

Do you sit inside it too?

Reply #12 Sunday, July 8, 2012 11:00 AM

Do you sit inside it too?

lol!

Wizard1956
Reply #13 Sunday, July 8, 2012 11:18 AM

Starkers, if you turn that 1210CM fan on high, the whole room will fly away. Better tether down anything you don't want leaving with it.

starkers
Reply #14 Sunday, July 8, 2012 11:26 AM

harpo99999

anyway ENJOY the new system

harpo

Yeah, I've worked with Thermaltake cases before and liked them.  In fact, my current case is the V9 Black Edition, which is a nice case but it lacks the HDD dock and front USB3 ports I want for greater convenience.

As for the side fan blowing in dust, I have a rather fine mesh filter to hopefully keep the majority out. I've also had a bottom fan fitted to blow in, which should help with circulation and blow dust from the side fan up and away from the CPU/GPU, etc.  Well that's the theory, not that it'll replace a thorough regular cleaning... about every 6 - 7 weeks with a can of compressed air and a small brush to move those stubborn bits that can collect in the CPU heatsink fins.

Quoting starkers, reply 5x1 120cm fan rear; x2 1210cm fans front and x1 120cm fan on the bottom.

Must be one effing big case.....

Do you sit inside it too?

Bugger it....  damned typos... and I did a quick check, too.  Obviously not well enough.

Savyg
Reply #15 Sunday, July 8, 2012 11:33 AM

Back to pretending to be serious then...

I only use Antec Sonata cases myself.  Mesh lets the noise out when I've used it (CM-690)

starkers
Reply #16 Sunday, July 8, 2012 11:37 AM

Wizard1956

Obviously that was a typo and it's only a 120cm fan... but we do have a 600cm fan upstairs, which on full can blow stuff around the room if we don't batten down the hatches first.

The thing with this case is that there's a control panel to adjust fan speeds and LED lighting, so I will have some control to turn fans up or down as required.

I only use Antec Sonata cases myself.

I just had a look at the Sonata cases on the Antec site, and while they are aesthetically pleasing/easy on the eye, they still lack the HDD dock I require, and I noticed that not all have USB3 ports on the front, which is also a must as I collect more USB3 external drives

Wizard1956
Reply #17 Sunday, July 8, 2012 12:05 PM

starkers
Obviously that was a typo

Crap, there goes any chance of it landing at my place on Tuesday.

I recently replaced my front case fan with a blue led/ball bearing unit with a speed control, on sale it cost me 5 bucks. The controller alone was worth that. Adjustable fan speed is a good feature to have, imo.

impinc
Reply #18 Sunday, July 8, 2012 12:09 PM

starkers

While you're certainly getting better prices than the US there, where did you see $320 for the 8150? That's a downright ripoff. Look here .

EDIT: Congrats on your new system. I'm about to upgrade myself, and I've been an AMD fan for a long time. (Just make sure you get a better CPU cooler. While the stock one works ok, in warmer weather, I've found AMDs to run a bit hot with the stock cooler).

Reply #19 Sunday, July 8, 2012 12:20 PM

impinc - Not at all sure newegg ships to Australia.

starkers
Reply #20 Sunday, July 8, 2012 12:54 PM

Wizard1956
Crap, there goes any chance of it landing at my place on Tuesday.

Even if it had it still wouldn't have done you any good.

I still haven't figured out the parachute release mechanisms to make for a soft landing.

impinc
where did you see $320 for the 8150?

It is the price AMD put on it at release, and was linked to in the reply to Uvah.  Obviously there will be traders who can and will sell it cheaper than others, particularly those online, but that was the price recommended by AMD at the time the article went to print... and it's a price that frequently came up with brick & mortar retailers during my recent search.

I could probably have gone to a brick & mortar retailer and paid around $320 plus, but my purchases were all made with one of the best online traders, price-wise, here in Oz and I don't know that I could have done any better.

impinc - Not at all sure newegg ships to Australia.

Nope, but we can check out their wares and prices to get an idea of what's available and at roughly what price.