Why do people "need" spoilers?

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 by Jafo | Discussion: Movies & TV & Books

I know everyone sees them on racing cars, especially Formula One, where it's evolved into a science and artform......

....but in reality 'low-speed' [that's what it is] aerodynamics will show they are as beneficial as the proverbial 'tits-on-a-bull' at anything RESEMBLING a legal speed limit.

Yes, an F1 develops enough downforce at 120mph to drive upside-down on a ceiling....[which is totally impractical], and even the road car I drive has a rear 'spoiler' added because designers discovered the car wanted to 'wander' at speeds around 130-odd.

OK, so they look 'groovy'....like Starsky and Hutch's 'stripes'....but really....

The issue is with people who insist on SPOILING other people's enjoyment of a film or TV series, etc.... why?....to show off that they have seen it already...or what?

Here's a hint.

It's called a "spoiler" FOR A REASON!

What say you learn communication skills which enable you to talk ABOUT a movie  WITHOUT ruining it for anyone else, OK?

It's actually NOT THAT HARD.

And no, alerts are meaningless....and about as useful [usually] as warning someone you are about to shoot with..."this might hurt".

Remember the movie with the line "I see dead people"?  Imagine how that can be SPOILED.

Saying [about Titanic]..."oh, the boat sinks in the end..." isn't quite the same thing....and that's where common sense kicks in....along with consideration for others.

Reply #1 Wednesday, June 20, 2012 11:13 AM

What in the world are those who do it thinking?

WOM
Reply #2 Wednesday, June 20, 2012 11:20 AM

Yeah, I hate that also, ruins the movie.

ZubaZ
Reply #3 Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:03 PM

I know how this thread is going to end . . but I'm not going to say anythign about it.

Reply #4 Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:28 PM

Please. Just lend your.... supprot.

RedneckDude
Reply #5 Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:57 PM

You guys are nuts....that's why I like you.

neone6
Reply #6 Wednesday, June 20, 2012 1:04 PM

I was going to say something....but Jafo would  probably say that I SPOILED the thread

Heavenfall
Reply #7 Wednesday, June 20, 2012 1:25 PM

Mostly it's just people that want to discuss the whole thing with each other combined with the fact that the world doesn't revolve around you.

Nimbin
Reply #8 Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:18 PM

Well the way i see it. If you hate spoilers that much, no one is forcing you to read/watch them.

Wizard1956
Reply #9 Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:24 PM

Downforce.  Put one on my lawnmower, cut 3 minutes off my mowing time.

Satrhan
Reply #10 Wednesday, June 20, 2012 3:50 PM

I guess this is in part a response to our discussion yesterday. I can imagine it's annoying having to read spoilers about stuff you would like to see/read/do yourself. But that is part of your job isn't it?

Heavenfall

A little harsh, but I agree. If you just want someone's opinion whether something is worth reading/seeing/doing, you read a review. Forums are for discussing it afterwards. If those discussions couldn't go further than 'I thought the plot was good', 'I saw the plot twist coming from a mile away', 'I laughed so hard when the thing with the thing and the guy happened', or 'I think we haven't seen the last of you-know-who', there wouldn't be much point in having the discussion now would there?

RedneckDude
Reply #11 Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:07 PM

I wish my truck had a spoiler....

Jafo
Reply #12 Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:18 PM

Satrhan
there wouldn't be much point in having the discussion now would there?

So don't.

Satrhan
Reply #13 Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:51 PM

Well I'm sorry, unless you make it an official forum rule that the actual content of something cannot be discussed here, I will continue to talk about it with those that are interested.

starkers
Reply #14 Wednesday, June 20, 2012 7:52 PM

Hehe, I know how TV's season 2 of Once Upon a Time will end in 2013...

But then, how many people here actually watch it?

Probably not too many and the majority would not be perturbed by a 'spoiler'.

And those who do watch it would probably have forgotten I said anything by then

So it won't matter if I ramble on about the credits and shit like that....

Jafo
Reply #15 Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:40 PM

Heavenfall

The world does not revolve around exclusionists who believe they have the right to disclose plot details ruining the enjoyment of others.

If someone wishes to get indepth with minutae do it 'exclusively' via Personal Message.  ONLY your target audience will be affected.

Have you ever wondered about the subtext of "The first rule of Fight Club"?

How many of you out there have had the results of a race/match/tournament revealed to you/blurted out to you BEFORE you had sat down to watch it?

Was it fun?

How can the freedom of Stardock's Forums be equated with warnings 'excluding' members from accessing certain threads in case their enjoyment [of something] may be harmed?

Stardock's sites/forums are free to ALL, without fear nor favour [only limitation is to 13+ [COPPA]].  To attempt to exclude some members for any 'reason' IS against "Official Policy".

The forums are for the enjoyment of all, not merely some.

Jafo
Reply #16 Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:50 PM

An example....

Re ALIEN .... "only Ripley survived" [and the cat] is a spoiler.

"at least they didn't all die" isn't. [as much]

In this case it's not going to be an issue either way as the film is older than most of the people reading this thread. [33 years].

In the case of Prometheus ... it's been released a few weeks.  MOST people will not have seen it yet.

If it's SO IMPORTANT to someone that they MUST reveal details then it's reasonable to expect it will STILL be so important to them 12 months from now....when it may be fair to assume anyone likely to be wanting to see it - has.

ZombiesRus5
Reply #17 Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:17 PM

I find this thread really amusing considering Stardock specifically added a spoiler tag so people could openly discuss the content of a movie, show, etc. Anyone stupid enough to read the spoiler deserves to be disappointed.

Reply #18 Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:37 PM

The forums are for the enjoyment of all, not merely some.

Correct. That 'spoiler' crap is simply obnoxious, rude behavior. And spare me the 'coy' crap as well. Enough is enough.

starkers
Reply #19 Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:39 PM

In the case of Prometheus ... it's been released a few weeks. MOST people will not have seen it yet.

In this case, it will need to be 12 months or thereabouts... or at least until it's released on DVD or Bluray... reason: because I do not go to cinemas anymore due to being arthritic pretty much everywhere and finding them rather uncomfortable places to view movies... eg, not enough leg room, hard seats [for me anyway], and people yakking/moving around when there's important/good bits on, etc, etc, etc.

Nah, I'd rather wait 'til I can bring Prometheus home on Bluray and play it in my own mini cinema... projector, big screen and comfy leather lounges with oodles of leg room so I'm not as stiff as a honeymoon cock... um, I mean stiff as a board when the movie's over.

WebGizmos
Reply #20 Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:50 PM

Now that's a spoiler!

And yeah...movie spoilers suck!