My Customized Energy Drink

an energy drink that actually works! (hold the calories, sugar & carbs please.)

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 by VistArtXPosed | Discussion: Everything Else

A few weeks back, I discovered by chance a combination of two different products which combined to be quite tasty (and quite a kick too).  As an experiment, I combined MioEnergy Green Thunder and PowerPak Electrolyte packs to make a healthier alternative to an energy drink but without sacrificing the kick.  Here is a picture I took.

So, you might be thinking that because it lacks carbs, sugar, and calories that it's some kind of diet energy drink, right?  Wrong.  Well, kinda wrong.  It does contain a few artificial sweeteners, 5 grams of sugar, and 6 grams of carbs, including 40 calories.  So it is in a way, kinda dietish.

Now comes the fun part, what makes it kick.  The MioEnergy packs in Taurine, Guarana, Ginseng, and 120mg of Caffeine (for 2 squirts), while the PowerPaks (2 of them) hold 4000% Vitamin C, all 4 major electrolytes (Sodium, Potassium, Magnesium, Calcium) by contrast Gatorade only has 2.  7 different B vitamins, Zinc, Selenium, Manganese, Chromium and Boron.  These aren't minerals you'd find in your everyday Red Bull or Monster.

But what about the taste?  To me, it tastes like a flat Monster knockoff.  It really does taste like an energy drink (a watered-down one though), just without the carbonation.  It's goes down smooth like water or juice.

And the best part?  This beverage can be customized in different ways.  MioEnergy is the main product (the one that gives it it's kick), and the PowerPaks are to enhance the flavor and to help retain hydration better.  Marketed energy drinks do nothing but dehydrate you, but having all 4 major electrolytes in the same beverage helps cancel out some of the dehydration that is common with caffeinated drinks.

Another great benefit, which you won't get from standard energy drinks is that Vitamin C helps absorb Calcium faster, and calcium helps boost metabolism.  More so than from Caffeine alone.

If anybody's interested in trying it out, here's the link for the PowerPak Electrolyte Packets via Amazon.

These can't be found at most grocery stores, but MioEnergy can be found at most grocery stores, so no need to put a link for Mio.  There are also other flavors of PowerPaks available, but it might not taste very good with MioEnergy though.  I use Cherry-Limeade flavored packs.

The best part about all this is that you can customize how much or how little of each product you want, but proceed with caution.  Too much of either one can pose health risks, so try a small amount at first.  It's a shame that commercialized energy drinks don't allow for this kind of customization.

It's also much cheaper to mix up a couple of Mio squirts and PowerPaks together than to buy a can of Red Bull or Monster.  ($4 for MioEnergy bottle/9 servings per bottle=44 cents, + $0.23/pack (out of 32 on Amazon) *2=46 cents.  Add the 2, and 16oz of THIS stuff sets you back at $0.90.  You can have *THIS* 3 times for the same price as ONE 16oz. can of Monster or Red Bull)  And this stuff's better for you too.

And another cool tip, MioEnergy can be added to more than just water.  I mixed some with Greek Yogurt and Protein Shakes too for an extra kick.  But don't add any to already caffeinated beverages.  It's can be dangerous to do so.

This may not be the best "healthy energy/sports drink alternative" out there, but it's a start.

Would you try this, or come up with some alternative customized beverage of your own to try and outsmart the competition?
Comments would be appreciated.
Reply #1 Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:16 PM

Please be so kind as to list the ingredients and quantities of each ingredient per individual and then "combined" serving. Thanks.

LightStar
Reply #2 Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:18 PM

Beats me as to why people think they even need this stuff.

k10w3
Reply #3 Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:29 PM

LightStar
Beats me as to why people think they even need this stuff.

Because meth is illegal and you can't buy it at Wal-Mart.

VistArtXPosed
Reply #4 Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:37 PM

I'm sorry for posting this.  I think I just made a fool of myself. [e digicons]:'([/e]

Nobody has to try it.  I just wanted to express some customization in some other from than Windows or PCs.

tetleytea
Reply #5 Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:48 PM

MHO, but putting electrolytes in an energy drink is a BAD idea.   Excess electrolytes is an excellent way to raise your blood pressure, but without raising your energy level.  The point is to give yourself an adrenaline rush, and that raises your blood pressure enough as it is.  You want to give your brain a jump start--not a stroke.

k10w3
Reply #6 Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:54 PM

Sinperium
Reply #7 Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:54 PM

It's hard to maintain ADHD behavior when you aren't ADHD without some sort of strong stimulant.

Alternative Drink (main stimulant is nicotine)...

Reply #8 Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:00 PM

VistArtXPosed

It's a big deal asking for the ingredients from the label? You're kidding, right?

Who in his right mind would be convinced to try something without knowing what and how much of it's in the drink?

k10w3
Reply #9 Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:12 PM

It's a big deal asking for the ingredients from the label?

MioEnergy liquid water enhancer Incredients: Water, citric acid, propylene glycol,caffeine; contains less than 2% of taurine, guarana extract, ginseng extract (panax), niacinamide, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, natural flavor, sucralose, and acesulfame potassium (sweeteners), sodium citrate, potassium citrate, blue 1, yellow 5, potassium sorbate (preservative).

Nutritional Facts: Serv. size 1/18 bottle (2.5 ml/1/2 tsp), serving 18, amount per serving: Calories 0, total fat 0, sodium 10 mg, total carb 0, sugars 0, protein 0, niacin (vitamin B3) 10% DV), vitamin B6 (10% DV), vitamin B12 (10%).  Not a significant source of other nutrients.  Percent daily values (DV) are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

(VistArtXPosed - I occasionally drink MiO.  I don't think I'd want to mix it with anything else but water, though).

Sinperium
Reply #10 Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:17 PM

In his defense, a lot of people are really into this.

k10w3
Reply #11 Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:20 PM

Sinperium
In his defense, a lot of people are really into this.

I understand why that would be so.  It speeds you up and it tastes like green Jolly Ranchers!

VistArtXPosed
Reply #12 Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:22 PM

Okay Fine, i'll list the ingredients.

PowerPak Electrolytes Ingredients: Crysalline Fructose, Citric Acid, Sodium Bicarbonate, Natural Cherry, berry, & citrus flavors, stevia, silica, and 72 ionic trace minerals (they don't tell what they are).

MioEnergy Green Thunder: Water, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Caffeine, Contains less than 2% of: Taurine, Guarana Extract, Ginseng Extract (Panax), Niacinamide, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Natural Flavor, Sucralose, and Acesulfame Potassium (sweeteners), sodium citrate, Potassium citrate, Blue 1, Yellow 5, Potassium Sorbate (preservative).

I suppose you want all of the nutrition facts too?

If you're not a fan of the artificial stuff (what DOESN'T have artificial additives these days? besides plain water) then don't try it.

VistArtXPosed
Reply #13 Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:24 PM

oh, I didn't see your post k10w3.  So I ended up listing the ingredients for Mio anyway.

VistArtXPosed
Reply #14 Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:30 PM

@Sinperium.  Yes, a lot of people are into this because some of us like to customize our beverages to our own taste instead of buying the same canned or bottled beverages all the time.

Aside from the comment above, I thought everybody was flaming at me earlier (and maybe you are), which was why I said I was sorry for posting the article.  I guess it's not such a big deal if I get shot down for something I thought was unique.  But at least my article's generated it's own "buzz".

Sinperium
Reply #15 Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:57 PM

I wasn't flaming (if you meant me).  I know some people who spend a lot of time formulating recipes that work for them.  I have a lot of allergies to many things leafy--or extracts from them.  So things like chamomile, ginger, ginseng and others  I don't take.  They have an opposite effect on me.  I'm one of the lucky 1-2% of people in the world with a strong reaction to chamomile for example.

So ingredients are good to know.

And...it's always cool to have a thread I can post the Japanese Arnold commercials in.

k10w3
Reply #16 Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:59 PM

VistArtXPosed, I grant you karma for being creative with your beverages, and having the courage to post about it.

Reply #17 Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:10 PM

k10w3
yellow 5

Will trigger asthma symptoms in those who react asthmatically to aspirin and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories.

k10w3
caffeine

Speaks for itself. Adds to any other you might have... can cause arrhythmias.

k10w3
propylene glycol

Anti-freeze.

k10w3
I occasionally drink MiO.

Me too. Mango peach.

MiO is more innocent... doesn't boost "energy". Enjoy.

VistArtXPosed
Reply #18 Wednesday, February 29, 2012 6:04 PM

@k10w3, Thank you.

@Sinperium, no it wasn't you.  It may of just been all in my head because i'm not used to taking criticism from others. (It could of been just "imaginary criticism")

@DrJBHL, I already knew Mio had anti-freeze in it. But being the "young whipper-snapper" that I am, I drink it anyway.

I realize that not everybody at WinCustomize is a twenty-something male such as myself.  So this site wasn't the best place to post this article.  I just like to stand out and be different.  You only live once, so why waste it by conforming to what society wants or needs? (i.e. like buying stuff without tweaking it a little)  Conforming=No Imagination.

It's a good thing i'm not selling this. It would flop, partially because people are now flocking over to the next big thing, Caffeine inhalers.  It's not like i'm a huge energy-drink addict or anything (but sadly, I still enjoy my caffeine). In fact, the whole point of this experiment was to avoid the common energy drink, because i'm starting to think canned energy beverages are becoming obsolete (WAY too much sugar and carbs for people who aren't even active).  I've had Monster and Red Bull and others before, and they don't really do much for me.  They're just like soda on steroids.  Maybe it's just me.

Another reason I did this experiment is because simply put, I HATE being tired.  And other drinks out on the market don't do me justice.  However, Starbucks drinks do a good job at just keeping me awake, but they don't provide much of an energy boost.  I know my body's telling me to sleep, but when i'm working at my job, that's not an option.  I need to get through the day without crashing and burning.  And don't think that you coffee & soda drinkers are any different.  You drink those for the same reason I drink my stuff.  To get an energy boost and/or adrenaline rush to get through the day.  And I can go on an entire work day feeling great on under 6 hours of sleep.  I know, it's not the best idea.

Jafo
Reply #19 Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:49 PM

VistArtXPosed
You only live once, so why waste it by conforming to what society wants or needs? (i.e. like buying stuff without tweaking it a little) Conforming=No Imagination.

So take this crap and die young.

I saw 'propylene glycol' and didn't need to look it up.

I've lived long enough to actually KNOW what some of this shit really is.

Energy drinks are nothing more than [supposedly alchohol-free] JUNK they can market to the naive and impressionable......

....because it's illegal to market alcohol to them.  That comes later IF they live.

Like all those 'sports' drinks...

Simply open a can of coke....let it go flat...add a teaspoon of salt.....

...and you're done.

WebGizmos
Reply #20 Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:56 PM

Here's a tip for you. Slow down...take it easy...and you won't need all those energy drinks. And you'll probably live longer without all the stress. What's the hurry anyway? People always in a hurry to go nowhere fast. And if you need to wake up....smack your thumb with a hammer...that will wake you right up!