Invisible title bar and no roll-ups

Thursday, February 2, 2012 by LizMarr | Discussion: WindowBlinds

How's that for a name. I think my Aero is goofed up, but I'm not sure. I vaguely remember having this happen before.

I loaded a skin that didn't let me roll up the windows by clicking the title bar. So I looked all over in editor to try to find where to adjust it. I actually found it - once - but the adjusting I did never worked. I couldn't for the life of me find it again.  In the midst of all my cussing and theme tweaking the desktop crashed and Windows stopped working (except the mouse). So, Windows was restarted.

Then, after everything was settled, I notice that the title bar is clear on the applications, not the windows or message pop-ups. The problem with clear, I have noticed on my machine, is that it doesn't "click". No dragging, no closing, no nothing.

So, how in the world do I fix it? I've cleared everything to default. I've poked around in the "Personalization" settings. I've tried a slew of themes.  I started excluding affected apps until I realized they are all. Sometimes I hate this program <vbg> I WAS having fun before that. I actually started to understand the editor. BTW, why is it some skins have very few  selections for editing and others have a ton? (left hand side)

I just noticed Firefox is half the skin I turned on to see if that helped the title bar (not) and half the current theme. Dark blue bars horizontal, faded blue bar where the tabs are that I can see my wall paper though. And green vertical slider. Mouse pointer is permanently frozen on whichever window that has focus - default mouse is happily running around.

LizMarr
Reply #1 Friday, February 3, 2012 1:15 AM

Well, the default Aero themes that came with Window work - after I turn back on a service called "usxms" I checked the log and this was the message, "The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because a composited theme is not in use"  What the? I can't think of anything I've added to the machine, but there was a bunch I uninstalled. I don't see how outdated programs have to do with anything. Besides, that was hours before the crash.  My alter-ego works fine, but this account has everything under the sun for the last forever years. The title bars show up when Aero is off, and then go nearly completely clear when it is turned on - just the applications, not the windows.

Uvah
Reply #2 Friday, February 3, 2012 4:46 AM

Wow. Try uninstalling WindowBlinds after reverting back to the default Aero skin, reboot and run CCleaner or similar app the re-install WindowBlinds and reboot. Files the app uses may have been corrupted by all the playing around. Hope this helps.

gmc2
Reply #3 Friday, February 3, 2012 6:25 AM

I'm more than a little bit confused however sometimes when you apply a skin it doesn't paint correctly the first (and sometimes second) time and the blind needs to be reapplied.

not all blinds will roll-up. it has to be a part of the coding that the author uses. I don't find an option for roll-up when right clicking on the window's title section, what is it that you see.

BTW, why is it some skins have very few selections for editing and others have a ton? (left hand side)

what program are you referring to?

jazzymjr
Reply #4 Friday, February 3, 2012 6:48 AM

There is an option in  WB config > Settings that you can enable for rollups.  Down at the bottom of that window, there are options for double-clicking and right clicking.  I have my double-click option set to rollup the blind.  I just double click on the titlebar and the window rolls up.  It works with all blinds, whether the author made a button for rollup or not.

gmc2
Reply #5 Friday, February 3, 2012 8:15 AM

thanks for the info MJ, I'm glad that I set my roll-up height even though I usually don't include a roll-up button.

Wizard1956
Reply #6 Friday, February 3, 2012 8:15 AM

jazzymjr
I have my double-click option set to rollup the blind. I just double click on the titlebar and the window rolls up.

That method is what I use and it works well exept for a time when I had a bad mouse that wanted to double click with every click. I had to disable roll-up until the mouse was replaced.

LizMarr
Reply #7 Friday, February 3, 2012 5:51 PM

I use right click for my roll up. In WB you can choose what you want for double and right click. Big long list.  As for programs with clear title bars in Aero mode. That would be all of them. Anything that uses .exe to start.  Windows are fine. If I cranked the opacity really high, I could just see the title bar. Nothing I did would let the roll up work.

Before it really blew up it was working. I switched to another theme and it wasn't. So I thought I would check it in Skin Studio to see if there was something that turned it on and off. While I was looking I was trying to make some text larger and a couple other tweaks (never got that text either) then the computer had a heart attack when it was doing that cloud over while it applies the skin. It flashed and blinked and then it reapplied the skin again. Then Aero quit permanently.

I have been running the themes and gadgets and even some wallpapers (except they overheated the GPU and I quit using them) Nothing has happened until now.  Microsoft site says "go back to your restore point". Now that I'm using MS virus scan I might actually have one of those.  Then to reinstall some software. Sigh.

Since I am on the subject of software, which of the following is no longer necessary or just a total waste of time? (copied the list from a web site) It seems that some are crazy redundant and if you have one you don't need another.  WindowBlinds-Colors-ThemeManager   IconPackager-ThemeManager  Which would you skin with and why do you need more than one.

1. DeskScapes
  16. Multiplicity Pro
  17. ObjectDock
  18. Colors
  19. Fences Pro
  20. WindowFX
  21. Tiles

I know I'm lazy and could have posted another, but since I'm going to clean out some software while I troubleshoot this...  (and no, I don't own all of them just what you get from the package deal plus a couple like Multiplicity Pro)

DaveBax
Reply #8 Friday, February 3, 2012 6:31 PM

Greg you don't need a roll-up button. Just double clicking on the top of the window will roll it up. You may already know this so sorry if I jumped in for no reason.

Wizard1956
Reply #9 Friday, February 3, 2012 6:46 PM

Try running Aero Repair.

gmc2
Reply #10 Friday, February 3, 2012 10:55 PM

DaveBax

Quoting gmc2,
reply 5

actually no, I didn't know that. but I do include a roll-up button as part of my current project.

I just tried this on ie8 and it maximized and minimized on double click, so did several other programs, no roll-up???

LizMarr
Reply #11 Friday, February 3, 2012 11:28 PM

Wizard1956
Try running Aero Repair.

That seemed to be something new (for me, anyhow) It didn't find anything. I did, however, uninstall and reinstall WB. Things are running Aero now, but I am certain that there is more wrong.I guess it is stable enough to edit a skin again. After trying out about ten icon packs looking for "just the right one" to go with my skin I'm thinking it might be time to learn to make a piece of paper and a folder in my graphics program...

I did discover that if someone installs the free version of Icon Packager and didn't uninstall it when they upgraded they would have two links in the Programs Control Panel. Also, if they try to remove the free one and leave the other it doesn't work - it removes both. Now I am missing the "icon" options in Explorer.  I'm eyeballing that WindowsBlinds 5.5 uninstall and trying to decide if I want to run that or not with all the problems lately.

jazzymjr
Reply #12 Saturday, February 4, 2012 5:17 AM

I use IE 8 as well, and it rolls up just fine.

Did you check Settings in WB config to make sure you had the double-click set to roll up the blind?

gmc2
Reply #13 Saturday, February 4, 2012 7:45 AM

jazzymjr

ah, I'll check, nope thanks

LizMarr
Reply #14 Saturday, February 4, 2012 6:05 PM

WB has to be TSR. I've been having fun settling the arguments between WB and WinFX. The two special actions actually get along. I just hold the right mouse a little longer to spawn the WinFX menu. It does, however, do weird things when I save settings. WB rolls right up when I tell it to save a window size.