Twas the night before

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 by OldMsgt | Discussion: Life, the Universe and Everything

TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS, HE LIVED ALL ALONE, IN A ONE BEDROOM HOUSE MADE OF PLASTER AND STONE. I HAD COME DOWN THE CHIMNEY WITH PRESENTS TO GIVE, AND TO SEE JUST WHO IN THIS HOME DID LIVE. I LOOKED ALL ABOUT, A STRANGE SIGHT I DID SEE, NO TINSEL, NO PRESENTS, NOT EVEN A TREE. NO STOCKING BY MANTLE, JUST BOOTS FILLED WITH SAND, ON THE WALL HUNG PICTURES OF FAR DISTANT LANDS. WITH MEDALS AND...... BADGES, AWARDS OF ALL KINDS, A SOBER THOUGHT CAME THROUGH MY MIND. FOR THIS HOUSE WAS DIFFERENT, IT WAS DARK AND DREARY, I FOUND THE HOME OF A MARINE , ONCE I COULD SEE CLEARLY. THE MARINE LAY SLEEPING, SILENT, ALONE, CURLED UP ON THE FLOOR IN THIS ONE BEDROOM HOME. THE FACE WAS SO GENTLE, THE ROOM IN SUCH DISORDER, NOT HOW I PICTURED A UNITED STATES MARINE,  WAS THIS THE HERO OF WHOM I'D JUST READ? CURLED UP ON A PONCHO, THE FLOOR FOR A BED? I REALIZED THE FAMILIES THAT I SAW THIS NIGHT, OWED THEIR LIVES TO THESE MARINES WHO WERE WILLING TO FIGHT. SOON ROUND THE WORLD, THE CHILDREN WOULD PLAY, AND GROWNUPS WOULD CELEBRATE A BRIGHT CHRISTMAS DAY. THEY ALL ENJOYED FREEDOM EACH MONTH OF THE YEAR, BECAUSE OF THE MARINES , LIKE THE ONE LYING HERE. I COULDN'T HELP WONDER HOW MANY LAY ALONE, ON A COLD CHRISTMAS EVE IN A LAND FAR FROM HOME. THE VERY THOUGHT BROUGHT A TEAR TO MY EYE, I DROPPED TO MY KNEES AND STARTED TO CRY. THE MARINE AWAKENED AND I HEARD A ROUGH VOICE, 'SANTA DON'T CRY, THIS LIFE IS MY CHOICE; I FIGHT FOR FREEDOM, I DON'T ASK FOR MORE, MY LIFE IS MY GOD, MY COUNTRY, MY CORPS.' THE MARINE ROLLED OVER AND DRIFTED TO SLEEP, I COULDN'T CONTROL IT, I CONTINUED TO WEEP. I KEPT WATCH FOR HOURS, SO SILENT AND STILL AND WE BOTH SHIVERED FROM THE COLD NIGHT'S CHILL. I DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE ON THAT COLD, DARK, NIGHT, THIS GUARDIAN OF HONOR SO WILLING TO FIGHT. THEN THE MARINE ROLLED OVER, WITH A VOICE SOFT AND PURE, WHISPERED, 'CARRY ON SANTA, IT'S CHRISTMAS DAY, ALL IS SECURE.' ONE LOOK AT MY WATCH, AND I KNEW HE WAS RIGHT. 'MERRY CHRISTMAS MY FRIEND,! AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT.'

teddybearcholla

Reply #7 Tuesday, December 6, 2011 8:45 PM

ElanaAhova
Reply #8 Wednesday, December 7, 2011 11:03 AM

total agreement  ...

LightStar
Reply #9 Wednesday, December 7, 2011 11:31 AM

If you wrote that OldMsgt, you should be very proud. I know it brought tears to my eyes as my older brother was a Marine in the Vietnam Era.

But lets not forget all those who serve or have served in any branch of service.

OldMsgt
Reply #10 Wednesday, December 7, 2011 1:38 PM

I did not write it, I modified it as the one I found referenced Soldiers, Since I was a Marine  before my final career in the Air Force I thought it appropriate.

I posted it on one board and was called the bastard son of Tom Clancy by a liberal from Canada who really is a wannabee American.

LightStar
Reply #11 Wednesday, December 7, 2011 5:37 PM

OldMsgt

Well, heck of a fine job then! As far as the guy in Canada, there are people like that everywhere unfortunately, ignore him and all others like him.

Kantok
Reply #12 Wednesday, December 7, 2011 6:34 PM

OldMsgt

Bravo to you sir.  There are far worse things to be called than the bastard son of Tom Clancy.

Do you happen to have a copy (or a link) of the Soldier one?

OldMsgt
Reply #13 Wednesday, December 7, 2011 6:50 PM

There are many variations of this poem

if you Google soldier night before Christmas you will them

Jafo
Reply #14 Wednesday, December 7, 2011 6:54 PM

OldMsgt
I did not write it, I modified it as the one I found referenced Soldiers,

Thought so....was going to break it into verses but found a few bits that didn't quite rhyme so thought best to leave as is ...

seanw3
Reply #15 Thursday, December 8, 2011 10:17 AM

Lol, we also protect Canada so screw him!

OldMsgt
Reply #16 Thursday, December 8, 2011 10:38 AM

seanw3
Lol, we also protect Canada so screw him!

I know we protect Canada as I was stationed there from 1976 t0 1980 at North Bay Ontario, I was with the 22 NORAD Region Head quarters.