I blew it..... Trying to get access to WIFI. SOLVED

Thursday, September 22, 2011 by IROKONESS | Discussion: Community

[e digicons]:karma:[/e]     Hi folks, I have a problem that's been bugging me for weeks..... I recently reinstalled my Window's 7. When it came to the question about allowing WiFi connections on my PC I answered no. Cuz I have a PC. Why would I need WiFi???

Well as life would have it I am now in a position where I can only get WiFi to get on the internet where I'm living. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

I have tried everything I can think of but, still can't get that darn pc connection to accept anything. It doesn't even acknowledge that it exists....{wifi}

If anyone can help I will be such a happy gal!!!!!!!!!!   I have to go to the library to access the internet so, if I dont't answer right away know that it's not my fault and will reply as soon as possible.

Thanks for your time.

Anna

Solved [e digicons]:karma:[/e]

Wizard1956
Reply #1 Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:50 PM

If all else fails, you could do this: LINK

Before you went that route, however, I'd wait and see if yrag shows up.

IROKONESS
Reply #2 Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:01 PM

Hi Wizard1956, I have printed out the Win 7 no-reformat and will hold on to it for awhile. If it comes to that I will use it.

Thanks alot.

Wizard1956
Reply #3 Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:49 PM

You may also want to edit your post to give more info in the title about what help you need. It may get overlooked otherwise.

RedneckDude
Reply #4 Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:12 PM

Obvious question......Do you have a WIFI adapter connected via usb? Or are we talking laptop?

gmc2
Reply #5 Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:45 PM

I'd go to the "network and sharing center" in the control panel. looks like there are options to establish a connection from there.

hope this helps.

Frankief
Reply #6 Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:34 PM
vStyler
Reply #7 Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:56 PM

Bebi Bulma
Reply #8 Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:05 PM

vStyler

That was my thought as well.

vStyler
Reply #9 Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:27 PM

I try not to mind read.. all.. the time.

RedneckDude
Reply #10 Thursday, September 22, 2011 11:03 PM

Bebi Bulma
Quoting vStyler, reply 7Chances are Anna... if you have a PC, and have never used Wireless, your PC doesnt have a USB or PCI wireless adapter, quick trip to Wal-mart can fix that.

That was my thought as well.
vStyler

RedneckDude

Pretty much what I said...

gmc2
Reply #11 Friday, September 23, 2011 6:41 AM

vStyler

wish it had of been my first thought.

Wizard1956
Reply #12 Friday, September 23, 2011 9:17 AM

wish it had of been my first thought.

Ditto, I skipped that part and assumed she had a service disabled that she couldn't get started.

If buying an adapter, consider where the PC is going to be. An internal card with a fixed external antenna is good if you have a PCI slot open or a USB adapter will work great if you have an extra port. Both of these will  need the computer positioned for best signal. If it's in a cabinet or if you have walls or other obstructions, especially metal ones , in between you and the signal, you may get a very weak connection. Both of these conditions applied in my case.

Since you may not want to put your computer in a window, an alternative is to get a card or USB adapter with an antenna that can be positioned for best signal. One with at least 3-4 feet of wire will give at least some "tweaking" for best signal.

I'm using a cheap $35 USB adapter on a 3 meter USB extension cable ($10) with the adapter taped up in a window. It works great and I get 90% signal to and from the router I connect to which is two mobile homes away.

Hopefully, that's a bit more helpful.

Wow, what a long-winded reply. I got my typing practice in for today.

IROKONESS
Reply #13 Saturday, September 24, 2011 3:54 PM

Wizard1956
That's gonna be what I need right thar.

Greetings all  ,

RedneckDude
Do you have a WIFI adapter connected via usb?
        Nope

Wow, had no idea it was so complicated..... All I have is the name and password for access to wifi. The pc was purchased a little over a year ago. It was only $500.00 so maybe I do need the card or adapter. I will phone my dealer when I get home and get confirmation. I do not have a wireless modem or router. oChee Wawa!  Who knew I'd need all this. Oh yeah, everyone but me. With this new info though I have direction and will get what's required.  {Yay}

Gmc2, as for network and sharing center, I have pc and internet. I do not have the multiple networks in between..? Hope this won't affect anything..

Your all AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thank-you so much.

IROKONESS
Reply #14 Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:39 PM

I received my usb wireless port adapter. No extension as of yet. {Had to order by mail..... and she couldn't find any....} I have access to someone's wireless, but, apparantly it's a restaurant 2 doors down. And I haven't any idea of their password..   Two addresses should be at my disposal but, my pc said they had different hookups or something like that,,,, that didn't work with mine.   OMG

I'm not giving up, almost.  If worse come's to worse, I'll hire someone. Everyone else is OK with their wireless.. It's driving me nuts.

Hope your all doing better than me.  Anna

Uvah
Reply #15 Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:08 PM

Try asking if the restaurant will give you the password. Worked for me. Especially if you eat there from time to time.

IROKONESS
Reply #16 Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:15 PM

You know what. I do frequent their Great little Chinese place.  Believe it or not I'm kinda shy to ask. I like that idea though. I'm gonna have to try.

Thanks Uvah

RedneckDude
Reply #17 Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:36 PM

Just a heads up, I can access the wifi signal from the store behind my house. It adjoins my backyard, so it's close. But it is an extremely slow connection.

Just saying, I would suspect the same in your restaurant's case. Maybe not.

gmc2
Reply #18 Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:51 PM

also, a secure network will not be accessible without the passwords

RedneckDude
Reply #19 Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:14 PM

gmc2...

IROKONESS

LightStar
Reply #20 Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:21 PM

Anna,

You don't have a wireless service provider (ISP) in your area that could hook you up?  Of course, it would require a monthly fee though.