Impulse sold my personal info?

Sunday, July 24, 2011 by Yedly | Discussion: WinCustomize Talk

I have used my name along with my wifes email in order to purchase stardock items with credit card with her name on it. This was at least 4 years ago. This is the ONLY time I used my name connected with her email. Recently my wife has been getting spam emails on her account titled in MY NAME. I have read in the wincustomize TOS that they would never release this information. Recently stardock has split away from impulse, which some of my purchases were through, not by my choice, but by stardocks. I don't right off suspect stardock of any monkey business, but rather wish to assume the trouble starts with impulse. But is anyone else noticing these spam emails now? What can I do to stop it? My wife is now pissed to the gills about the whole matter.

GreenReaper
Reply #1 Sunday, July 24, 2011 3:51 PM

Could you be more precise about "spam emails"? For example, are they advertising a specific class of products?

Yedly
Reply #2 Sunday, July 24, 2011 4:02 PM

There were emails regarding plus sized clothing, shoes, a dating service, braziers.

navigatsio
Reply #3 Sunday, July 24, 2011 4:45 PM

I was getting all kinds of ads and crap mail from them until I noticed the opt out paragraph (below). Since I 'clicked it' nothing else from Gamestop. Just a thought...

Click here to unsubscribe from receiving email communications from Impulse.

Nimbin
Reply #4 Sunday, July 24, 2011 5:03 PM

navigatsio
Click here to unsubscribe from receiving email communications from Impulse.

seeing as i never subscribed to receive emails from impulse in the first place and during the impulse install there is no section that asks this question, how does gamestop have the right to spam me or anyone with emails. I have been receiving emails as well but i just changed my mail settings to set them as spam and now they don't even download into my mail program. It is a bit arrogant of gamestop to think that just because they buy impulse that we will automatically want emails advertising their crap. on a side note has anyone noticed lately that impulse takes twice as long to login (when it actually does login) than it used to. Hopefully stardock will release a standalone updater for object desktop subscribers because that's what i want.

Hankers
Reply #5 Sunday, July 24, 2011 5:30 PM

I don't believe the OP is saying that the spam emails are originating from GameStop/Impulse but rather he is questioning if his email info was sold or not to bulk emailers.  I doubt GameStop/Impulse would have anything to do with that.

Bichur
Reply #6 Sunday, July 24, 2011 6:57 PM

Yedly

Hankers

I doubt GameStop/Impulse would have anything to do with that.

might make an interesting game....

HG_Eliminator
Reply #7 Sunday, July 24, 2011 7:01 PM

Bichur

Quoting Yedly, reply 2

Quoting Hankers, reply 5

I doubt GameStop/Impulse would have anything to do with that.

might make an interesting game....

I think the latest Sim's game covered that..

Reply #8 Sunday, July 24, 2011 7:10 PM

Too bad no one's invented a zap button on a browser to fry the server which sends that spamcrap (or posts it here).

Zoomba
Reply #9 Sunday, July 24, 2011 7:44 PM

I just looked into this, and your account (Yedly) was not transitioned to GameStop.