Can I Uninstall Impulse Now?

Monday, July 11, 2011 by LightStar | Discussion: Stardock Support General

Since Gamestop now owns Impulse and it is evidently no longer being used to provide updates to Stardock customization products, can I uninstall it now? I only use it for Stardock customization products, no games or anything else.

Island Dog
Reply #1 Monday, July 11, 2011 12:23 PM

Wizard1956
Reply #2 Monday, July 11, 2011 12:36 PM

It appears to still be useful for verifying installations, although it won't apply the update if required. It is also is handy for checking installed version numbers.

Side note: Impulse says ODPlus2 is not installed correctly. Do I need to redownload it from the new location to repair it?

Phoon
Reply #3 Monday, July 11, 2011 12:43 PM

According to https://forums.wincustomize.com/409931/page/4/#replies, betas are not available without impulse. Does the response in this thread indicate that betas are not available in impulse either? If so, then where are we to get them?

Island Dog
Reply #4 Monday, July 11, 2011 12:46 PM

Wizard1956:  New or renewed subscriptions won't work going forward for desktop apps.  Downloads for desktop apps need to be made from here only.

Wizard1956
Reply #5 Monday, July 11, 2011 12:48 PM

That's a great question, Phoon. I don't see DX4 anywhere.

Phoon
Reply #6 Monday, July 11, 2011 12:56 PM

Wizard1956
That's a great question, Phoon. I don't see DX4 anywhere

Yeah, THAT one is in a class all by itself! It is in the FUBAR classification.  LOL

Looks like we may be caught in the "cart before the horse" syndrome for awhile.

Island Dog
Reply #7 Monday, July 11, 2011 1:00 PM

RedneckDude
Reply #8 Monday, July 11, 2011 1:12 PM

DX4 is a beta. It shows for me in Impulse.

Philly0381
Reply #9 Monday, July 11, 2011 1:13 PM

Island Dog, I can still get the expiration dates for my Object Desktop and WinCustomize subcription using Impulse.  Is there another place that I can get that information?

ZubaZ
Reply #10 Monday, July 11, 2011 1:20 PM

Philly0381
Not at this moment.  If there is a question, you can bug support (but please don't).  Expiration dates should show up at some point.

Philly0381
Reply #11 Monday, July 11, 2011 1:24 PM

Okay

RedneckDude
Reply #12 Monday, July 11, 2011 1:25 PM

I can see all my stuff in account at JU, but no download links for software. Only links for skins I bought.

c242
Reply #13 Monday, July 11, 2011 2:14 PM

...

Island Dog
Reply #14 Monday, July 11, 2011 2:26 PM

So Impulse is dead and You are telling me there is no alternative aside from going to a webpage and looking everything up ??? Don't tell me this is true and I misread that. I sweared to myself I didn't want to get upset again.

Pretty much yes for now.

Interestingly, that is what people have asked for regarding the desktop apps for a while.

c242
Reply #15 Monday, July 11, 2011 2:36 PM

Island Dog: Sorry, I didn't read another post first, which made mine then quite obsolete. As a side note : I really loved Stardock Central.

Uvah
Reply #16 Monday, July 11, 2011 2:45 PM

I'm going to uninstall impulse. When the new app is ready, up and running hopefully by that time I'll be in a better position to take advantage. No sense in keeping something I won't be using.

LightStar
Reply #17 Monday, July 11, 2011 3:15 PM

Island Dog

Thanks ID, getting rid of Impulse then.

Erlend
Reply #18 Monday, July 11, 2011 3:47 PM

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOUUUUUU!!!

RICHIE31
Reply #19 Monday, July 11, 2011 6:09 PM

I tried that link to Stardock, but it wouldn't accept the password that they sent me or the original one either.

Bebi Bulma
Reply #20 Monday, July 11, 2011 7:33 PM

Wait a minute, what? Now I can't update my ODNT apps through Impulse anymore? It doesn't even list any dates on that stardock link further up. How am I supposed to know if there are new updates and install them? Argh this is getting ridiculous. Sure isn't like the good ol days anymore.

Should have at least had a second method available to ODNT customers BEFORE selling out to GameStop. *shakes her head*