Yeah, I'm old but I know how to ....

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 by MadDeez | Discussion: WinCustomize Talk

<rant>

I'm going to go with a wild assumption that a vast majority of the folks who post on the WC forum are older than 12. Can we please not use '2' for 'to' or 'too'? Another one is '4' for 'for'. Let's add 'R' for 'are' while we're at it.

I'm sure I'll get trashed by some but seeing people use "2", "4", and 'R' because they're too lazy to hit one or two more keys or trying to look "cool" (you don't) is a pet peeve of mine. I'm old school, I know, but come on!

If you don't want to capitalize, that's fine. e e cummings never did and he did fairly well for himself. I highly doubt using '2', '4', or 'R' constantly will win any awards for anyone.

</rant>

Skinhit
Reply #1 Wednesday, July 6, 2011 9:53 AM

laugh out loud

IROKONESS
Reply #2 Wednesday, July 6, 2011 9:59 AM

As long as I can read it. I don't mind at all.

Jafo
Reply #3 Wednesday, July 6, 2011 10:01 AM

I'M 9O1NG t0 9O wiTh 4 wIld 455UmP+10n +h4+ 4 v45t M4J0r1TY OPH +hE f0LK5 wh0 P05t 0N +EH WC F0RUM 4r3 oLDeR +h4N 12. C@n W3 ple@$3 N0T u53 '2' PhOr 'T0' 0r 'T0o'? 4NO+HEr 0N3 i5 '4' PH0r 'phOR'. Let's 4DD 'r' phOR '@R3' wHIle W3'r3 @T 1t.

1'M 5Ur3 I'Ll ge+ tr@5hED By soME Bu+ 533INg PE0PL3 u$E "2", "4", @ND 'R' 8Ec@u5e tHeY'Re +00 LAZy +0 H1T ONe 0R +W0 MoRE k3y5 0R try1Ng +0 lO0k "c00L" (yOU D0N'+) 15 @ PE+ P33VE OF M1NE. 1'M oLd 5ChO0l, I kN0W, bUT c0Me On!

Iph J00 d0n'+ W4NT +0 C4p1T4LiZe, +h@+'5 Phine. E 3 cUmMiNg$ n3V3r D1D 4ND H3 DID Fa1rLy W3LL For H1M5ELpH. I hi9HLY dOUb+ u5ING '2', '4', OR 'R' C0N$T@Ntly WIll w1n 4NY @W@rd$ FOR 4nYoNE.

Snowman
Reply #4 Wednesday, July 6, 2011 10:10 AM

That's my opinion too, John.
I also find it utterly ridiculous that, what seems to be the majority of the English/American speaking (adult) population doesn't know the difference between "their/there" and "your/you're".
That's what I would expect from minors/pre-school children, not from people who fully *should* know their own language.

Reply #5 Wednesday, July 6, 2011 10:12 AM

or

doc agrees with Snowy and MadDeez: Not necessarily in that order.

doc is also older than dirt.

Philly0381
Reply #6 Wednesday, July 6, 2011 12:14 PM

MadDeez it's not the age nor how old you are, it's whether or not you came out of an environment that though enough about teaching you.

Now I'm showing my age.

I can't figure out what Jafo said in reply #3 so I know I'm old.

DaveRI
Reply #7 Wednesday, July 6, 2011 12:30 PM

I don't mind the occasional word-swap like their/there/they're, heck I do it myself sometimes, kind of a mental typo.

But if I have to run a post through my friggin' magic decoder ring to try to make any sense of it, well, I'm not going to bother.

neone6
Reply #8 Wednesday, July 6, 2011 12:30 PM

So we ARE going TO go THERE now ?

starkers
Reply #9 Wednesday, July 6, 2011 12:55 PM

doc is also older than dirt.

You're so old.... Moses borrowed a quill and a piece of parchment from you to do a few test runs before chiseling out the 10 commandments...

... after that he told you where the bulrushes

Anyhow, BOT, and I agree with you John, Snowy, I just h8te it too... condensing down words cos their too lazy 2 push a few xtra keys.  Yea, it's fucken disgusten orright

Seriously, I do prefer English written correctly and always use it in a formal sense. Informally I may play with words to suit a mood or attitude, but other than that the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain

Or was that plane?

Whalecore
Reply #10 Wednesday, July 6, 2011 1:18 PM

Yeah I hate when people do that. It was cool when you we're 12 but if you're any bit older than that and you're using those it makes you look like an idiot

Not that much related to this but another one is 'there' and 'they're', makes me so mad when people mix those up. It's like they never even went to school

Uvah
Reply #11 Wednesday, July 6, 2011 3:40 PM

Then I are guessin' mine english not so good huh. I are knowin' that. Oh twell.....what ya gonna do?

neone6
Reply #12 Wednesday, July 6, 2011 3:51 PM

Reply #13 Wednesday, July 6, 2011 3:52 PM

Whalecore

and 'their'.

lecajef
Reply #14 Wednesday, July 6, 2011 4:05 PM

laugh out loud

laugh out loud... mort de rire ( French ) ... m2r ...

But better to write allows be understood in several translations.

k10w3
Reply #15 Wednesday, July 6, 2011 4:15 PM

I rarely use 133t, but I understand the usefulness of it, if you happen to be in a hurry, or if you never learned to type.  It's really agonizing for me to watch my husband try to answer a simple e-mail (He never learned to type).

Uvah
Reply #16 Wednesday, July 6, 2011 5:37 PM

I never learned how to type. I'm a one finger bandit or maybe two...I use one finger per hand.

So there - ier - y're - dere. I done it. Now some coco milk and cookies...p'ease...he he.

MadDeez
Reply #17 Wednesday, July 6, 2011 5:53 PM

Paul, you're hilarious! That was a great reply.

Frosty, Doc, and Philly: I'm with you. You're all right (correct) in what you're saying.

As for not learning how to type, ..........well, I'm not buying it. I never learned how to type in high school. That was decades ago, too! Also, due to an industrial accident, most of the fingers on my right hand are quite a bit shorter than they were before February 10, 1977.

By the way, another pet peeve of mine is people saying "warsh" in stead of "wash".

tazgecko
Reply #18 Wednesday, July 6, 2011 9:01 PM

Language is dynamic, it's the more mature generations which are static.

"2","4","R" ... Yep, get that a lot with text messages. Can't understand anything my niece sends me.

L8r

CarGuy1
Reply #19 Thursday, July 7, 2011 6:19 AM

MadDeez...I'm from the South, is redneck ok?

ah's a-gonna hoof it wif a wild assumpshun thet a vast majo'ity of th' folks who post on th' WC fo'um is older than 12. Kin we please not use '2' fo' 'to' o' 'too'? T'other one is '4' fo' 'fo''. Less add 'R' fo' 'are' while we is at it.

ah's sho'nuff I'll git trashed by some but seein' varmints use "2", "4", an' 'R' on account o' they're too lazy as a houn'dog t'hit one o' two mo'e keys o' tryin' t'look "right fine" (yo' doesn't) is a pet peeve of mine. ah's old skoo, ah know, but come on! Fry mah hide!

Eff'n yo' doesn't be hankerin' t'capitalize, thass fine. e e cummin's nevah did an' he did fairly fine fo' hisse'f. ah highly doubt usin' '2', '4', o' 'R' cornstantly will win enny awards fo' ennyone.

neone6