New Skin Portal "Cell" Website

Friday, July 6, 2001 by jumbles | Discussion: WinCustomize Talk

Currently almost finished,for my own skins.
May consider adding a similar one to Teknidermy,
for everyone to submit their skins too,IF you first lemme have constructive comments on above - be they good,bad,indifferent!! If we have free4all site at Teknidermy, which progs would you want in the various sections?? Bear in mind, that wincusto,devart,skinbase, and hopefully today LOS,carry the major players.
craeonics
Reply #1 Friday, July 6, 2001 3:28 AM
Hmmm... I think you should display the images of skins inline (as in: in the list of skins).
DavidK
Reply #2 Friday, July 6, 2001 3:29 AM
Wow! Another skin site!!

Very Nice jumbles! I signed up Looks like a very well thought out site.
DavidK
Reply #3 Friday, July 6, 2001 3:33 AM
Will there be a message board?
jumbles
Reply #4 Friday, July 6, 2001 3:39 AM
Crae: That would be done on Tek site, if I decide to add one.
David: Again, a forum/messageboard would be added to teknidermy portal. No real need on my own site.

kenray
Reply #5 Monday, July 9, 2001 9:40 AM
Jumbles is way cool!
plastic
Reply #6 Monday, July 9, 2001 4:55 PM
Uhhhm, I missed this, while this has some potential!

Am I getting it right, a skin site where you can submit a preview/download, but not hosting the actual content ? This way relieving Tek of providing loads of bandwidth etc ?

Pretty cool, and opening the way to have sections for every "smallware" effort being made and/or done in the past.

Ofcourse, Skinbase has those sections too. Then again, this could be about history too. Like I've got this little thing for download, "Console". Skinnable dos-box, by Alazorn (QX). He lost the source code, doesn't plan on doing anything with it anymore (not on his pages either). Tek links to download, possible skins/previews. If someone picks it up, it's ok, if not, ok too. It's there, part of the whole story.

Confused though on "criteria", what could/should be featured. Same people that make that nice Greybook, XXlog skin might have a WinAmp matching skin etc... maybe have all (fully skinnable) stuff (not counting stuff like powerarchiver, tclock, screenshots, icons etc) ?

Take Scarebears list (he would be glad), skip a few, add a few. Since it's destined to be a more "inside(rs)" site, I'm sure the small things would stand up next to the big things here, I would welcome this very much!

(Btw, Ann, very nice design!)
jumbles
Reply #7 Tuesday, July 10, 2001 1:26 AM
Very positive feedback judging from reaction on my site so far, plus comments here.50 members signed up in just two weeks,over 26000 page views,and 8000 visits,not bad for a personal site.
Plastic, my idea for a similar site at Teknidermy, would not only include skins, but small apps developers could also submit their latest programs for download.
Because Tek does not actually have any skin/image/file on our server, possibilities are endless, and we are always open to constructive suggestions/ideas from anyone willing to contact the mag.Sections can be opened for anything, be they themes,skin sets,news,information,apps etc.
flummox
Reply #8 Wednesday, July 11, 2001 12:23 AM
another link on da top to fill in a void. can't wait to check it out this weekend nice work
flummox
Reply #9 Wednesday, July 11, 2001 12:54 AM
I was curious I was kinda checking the site out just now and I'm bothered by the idea that some of the skins for win amp were made with skinner. I mean it's your site and all but just thought skinner was frowned upon around these parts.
Otherwise it is a nice site and you did a great job. the colors are kinda growing on me already!
jumbles
Reply #10 Wednesday, July 11, 2001 1:30 AM
A few of my winamp skins you refer to flummox, were designed for my friends,family, using Skinner.Only added them to my site as thought visitors may find them useful.Don't use winamp often myself, so skin it rarely.Glad you approve of my efforts re site - thanks, and BTW, the colours;you can change them to another theme of your choice, by becoming a member:D
kenray
Reply #11 Wednesday, July 11, 2001 10:29 AM
flummox cracks kenray up!!!!

Jumbles is on her lonesome, trying somehting that, to my knowledge, has never been tried before...and doing a fine job.

great work, J. You are apparently, the bravest of the brave. Mucho successo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(oh, and my MMJB skin at dezina has more DL's than anywhere else it is posted to the web...)
flummox
Reply #12 Thursday, July 12, 2001 12:21 AM
Now now I meant no disrespect. Perhaps being around devart I've managed to jump on people for going that route (skinner) too soon.
I was really only curious about that idea. Hell I have obviously used skinner or I wouldn't have known about it
But really I meant zero disrespect and if I sounded that way then I do apologize. these 80 hour weeks are killing me and while that is not an excuse it's a good reason why I type then logout then think...well you know the rest.
Anyway sorry if I offended.
Istari
Reply #13 Saturday, July 14, 2001 11:56 PM
What is skinner?
jumbles
Reply #14 Sunday, July 15, 2001 3:42 AM
Skinner - since you asked Tandis, tho' will prolly get shot for posting this URL,which house similiar prog.
jumbles
Reply #15 Saturday, July 21, 2001 5:28 AM
Site Completed, could do with a few Wallpapers, as don't design those myself, if anyone would be so kind as to let me display them
jumbles
Reply #16 Saturday, July 21, 2001 5:30 AM
Save you going all the way back to top of this post, http://www.dezina.co.uk/index.php
for wallpaper submissions. Thanks.