Colour substyles connundrum for Knot Aero

or when is too much too much ?

Sunday, July 18, 2010 by I.R. Brainiac | Discussion: WinCustomize Talk

I have teeny problem.

I am ready to update Knot Vista to Knot Aero for XP,Vista and 7.

I went cuckoo and made 9 styles for the OS's, plus 7 color subs for 8 of those styles.

WBconfig is starting to choke on the previews a little.There are 37 without the color presets for Win7.

Add them and it ends up at 65 subs total and it takes WBconfig a bit to show all the preview thumbnails.

In my madness I blundered into a solution...make 2 different .WBO7 files.37 subs on the one for XP and Vista, and 37 on the ones for Win7.

Both can be renamed and just sit there in the folder.Bad news is,the user would have to rename the file to use whichever color subs he needed.All the regular styles would be available from either one,only the extra colors would be split up.

So if it will package properly,is this an acceptable solution or should I just put all 65 on one .WBO7 file? (it takes nearly 2 minutes to generate the thumbnails...on my POS emachines W3107)

Xiandi
Reply #1 Sunday, July 18, 2010 10:57 PM

Another option, I think.... Make 2 seperate skins, name them #1 and #2 (or something else) and zip them together when you are done. The end user unzips it, and has 2 WB to choose from.

I.R. Brainiac
Reply #2 Sunday, July 18, 2010 10:59 PM

That would work if the upload will allow for zips instead of .wba...but would make the download over 10 MB.

A looksee...

Jeff T
Reply #3 Sunday, July 18, 2010 11:06 PM

There are many zip files in the Master Skin category.

I would like to see 3 .wba files. One for each OS. Makes it so much nicer when going through all those substyles.

The file size doesn't matter much (I'm told).

I.R. Brainiac
Reply #4 Sunday, July 18, 2010 11:29 PM

Yeah,filesize dosnt matter as much as it used to but old habits are hard to break.

So what I'm hearing is...I...should cut the whole shebang apart and seperate it out as 3 WB's...cleaning out the unused images,fixing the color subs for all 3 and somehow NOT screwing it up. Thanks a lot . (and hope SKS dosnt bugger me)

Yes it could be done.

Some greenlite 7

Mirsguy
Reply #5 Sunday, July 18, 2010 11:39 PM

To me that just sounds like way too many subs. I'd be inclined, though, to make separate versions for each OS and upload them separately. Or, at the very least, make the 3 separate versions and them package them all together into a zipped folder.

Love that wall, btw (the one with the Angel in it, that is).

Xiandi
Reply #6 Sunday, July 18, 2010 11:46 PM

ooo, I like the green

I.R. Brainiac
Reply #7 Sunday, July 18, 2010 11:47 PM

Thanks,that wall is something I've been playing with...but I cant upload it even as a PS composition...I cant remember where I got the stock images from. (even tho I have photoshopped them into unrecognizability nearly)

The funnest part was clone brush sculpting the faces on the rocks...that and the license plate.

Got green,blue,gold,copper,grey,steel,purple and black cherry Xiandi.

starkers
Reply #8 Monday, July 19, 2010 5:52 AM

I would like to see 3 .wba files. One for each OS.

Yes, this would be much preferable for me also... being i don't run XP anymore it means I'm not cluttering up my WB folder with subs I'll never use.

Yup, for that idea... and on the fantastic update to this fantastic skin.

Can't wait to have it in my collection.

I.R. Brainiac
Reply #9 Monday, July 19, 2010 2:13 PM

Ok...It will be a lot of extra work but I am going to attempt to seperate them.I hope I dont break anything.

JoDa
Reply #10 Monday, July 19, 2010 2:25 PM

This is awesome.

Wizard1956
Reply #11 Monday, July 19, 2010 3:13 PM

Add them and it ends up at 65 subs total

I.R.B., you  are certifiable .

I never had this one so it will be on my wish list!

I.R. Brainiac
Reply #12 Monday, July 19, 2010 8:27 PM

Oh my...the operation was a complete failure.SKS just isnt robust or accurate enough I dont believe to handle a job that involved.

By the time I got an XP only version sliced out and cleaned it had color changes,missing titlbar buttons etc...

I went back to 7 to start over and see what I might have done wrong and both versions were messed up and WB locked up the pc.

Thank Michael for backups.(me)

I may try again but the main problem isnt XP...thats the primary sub...but making new WB's out of the others and cutting the XP one out may be impossible.

I can break out individual subs on their own but I dont know how to combine them back together.

Its starting to look like my first idea of just using the text files is a lot easier and more reliable.(and it dosnt duplicate a lot of graphics)

Win7 users are bright enough to rename a file right?

Thanks Joda and Wiz.

I.R. Brainiac
Reply #13 Monday, July 19, 2010 8:30 PM

What is needed here is something I need to suggest to Neil...I shouldnt need color subs for EVERY main sub...just the 7 color presets in a dropdown list that can be applied to ANY sub.(as in NOT tied to a substyle at all...just color settings)

RedneckDude
Reply #14 Monday, July 19, 2010 9:06 PM

Oh, so this is AeroKnotics?

I.R. Brainiac
Reply #15 Monday, July 19, 2010 10:32 PM

I.R. Brainiac
Reply #16 Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:19 PM

So I couldnt slice and dice reliably and just made new text files for the .WBO7 colors.

Works like a charm,nothing to it...except  WB isnt recoloring everything ...most importantly the window background bmp.

My head hurtz.

I.R. Brainiac
Reply #17 Tuesday, July 20, 2010 11:07 PM

Its the normal background bmp...its not recoloring on Any of the OS's.

Text colors dont work on glass backs on Win7.

Its a crapshoot sometimes...things dont even stay transparent across the OS's...stuff thats trans on 7 may not be on Vista.A window color and text may be ass backwards from 7 to Vista.There just isnt enough consistency...even the taskmanager is using different colors from 7 to Vista.

Its bad enough to have to skin 3 OS's and add all the new parts without the same parts on each OS behaving differently.

I.R. Brainiac
Reply #18 Wednesday, July 21, 2010 5:28 PM

Ok...text files done...here are half the subs...the other half are XP and Vista colors.

[URL=http://img704.imageshack.us/i/37subs.jpg/][/URL]