Xymantix releases Wallpaper XChange

Saturday, July 17, 2004 by Xymantix | Discussion: WinCustomize News

Wallpaper XChange is a image browser/viewer program that's used as a convienent and powerful way to set your Windows wallpaper. It has a host of useful features, including:

It allows you to set .bmp, .gif, .jpg, and .png images files as wallpaper
It has a graphical image browser to help select a particular file, with customizeable image sizes
It offers a listview of image files and allows you to sort by name, size, date, or resolution
It color codes the image resolutions to easily identify those with the same ratio as your screen
It has a preview area complete with monitor effects such as inner shadows and a glare
It has an optional caching system to make loading directories lightning quick
It allows you to easily remove/copy/rename files, and supports drag and drop
It offers high quality bicubic interpolation to resample images to your screen resolution
It has an image viewer mode that shows the picture in its own window, resizable to zoom in/out
It's resizable so make the directory browser and preview area large or small

Goto http://www.xymantix.com/programs/wallpaper_xchange.html for more details and the download link
Frogboy
Reply #1 Saturday, July 17, 2004 9:39 PM
This looks relaly cool!
BoddhiC
Reply #2 Saturday, July 17, 2004 9:45 PM
This looks great. The feature that samples the wallpaper in such a way as to not create jagged edges upon resizing is fantastic
bp_ronjon
Reply #3 Saturday, July 17, 2004 9:58 PM
^^
Nomad529
Reply #4 Saturday, July 17, 2004 11:35 PM
~ Very nice little app! I think the greatest thing about it is the resampling option. I use 1600x1200 screen res and a lot of the wallpapers I have are either 1024x768 or 1280x1024, the resampling options clear up all the distortions from stretching the image. Everything I've tried it with has come out looking fantastic! Great job!! I'd recommend this to anyone who switches their desktop as much as I do...which is VERY often!!
hangar-8
Reply #5 Sunday, July 18, 2004 7:48 AM
Excellent stuff. Thanks again for another top quality app
Fuzzy Logic
Reply #6 Sunday, July 18, 2004 10:47 AM
Stunning little program. Works perfectly
Valhalla
Reply #7 Sunday, July 18, 2004 2:56 PM
Congrats Nick.
I love this
Keith Perry
Reply #8 Sunday, July 18, 2004 3:29 PM
Very nice program...No more distortion

One to hit the PayPal button for.
ragtech
Reply #9 Sunday, July 18, 2004 5:23 PM
I was just thinking last night I needed to look for a WP-Changer and look what turns up today!

Only thing is I can't seem to get the inner shadows and the glare alpha-blending to take affect just changes the wallpaper only... any ideas? Am I doing something wrong?

I've a Dell Inspiron 8600 (has a 1680 x 1050 res) using the Nvidia GeForce FX Go5200 video chip which btw as given me other issues at this odd resolution before... I've tried all the video drivers out there using a beta now which seems to have made no difference

Any help/hints would be appreciated.
CerebroJD
Reply #10 Sunday, July 18, 2004 5:31 PM
I cant see the effects either, but its still an awesome program!!
ragtech
Reply #11 Sunday, July 18, 2004 5:54 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply it wasn't an extrordinary piece of software... it certainly is "Awesome"... I love it!
Xymantix
Reply #12 Sunday, July 18, 2004 6:38 PM
I know it's subtle, but the shading and glare are effects on the virtual monitor on the upper left - not your desktop. If you check/uncheck those options, you should see the monitor with the preview change by showing/hiding the effect. I intentionally made those external files, so you can modify the .png images to change the glare and shading to whatever you like. Since they're just .png images that support alpha-transparency, you can do anything you want with them - they don't have to be used for glare or shading if there's another overlay effect that you'd prefer. They do have to stay the same size, though, or they won't fit on the monitor correctly.
ragtech
Reply #13 Sunday, July 18, 2004 8:10 PM
Got-it... Thanks! I do see the subtle changes via the virtual monitor and just thought the app would apply them to the desktop WP... thanks for clarifying Xymantix.

Although it would be a nice add for the app... hint, hint,
ragtech
Reply #14 Sunday, July 18, 2004 8:22 PM
Another nice add would be the ability to adjust width and height of the virtual monitor to match your desktop... for those of us with non-standard res.

Just some thoughts I really do like this changer a lot and will use it often.

Making a $30.00 contribution through PayPal now so you can keep up your great work.

Thanks again!
Koasati
Reply #15 Sunday, July 18, 2004 9:06 PM
This is great! Might we see dual monitor support soon? That would make it Fantabulous!
Pacific
Reply #16 Sunday, July 18, 2004 11:26 PM
What an awesome piece of software...!!!!
Wet Monkey
Reply #17 Monday, July 19, 2004 12:33 AM
Another brilliant and amazing program from Xymantix!! This is incredible. Thanks so much
hashonboat
Reply #18 Monday, July 19, 2004 12:04 PM
I have quite a few walls in my wall directory..It only displays about half of them..Is there a limit to how many it can display?
Fuzzy Logic
Reply #19 Monday, July 19, 2004 12:54 PM
Since the initial reaction to this program it's caused me serious problems. For one, no matter how many times I change the wallpaper, it always reverts to the first set wallpaper on re-boot. Secondly, and more serious, every single image on my pc has appeared under wallpaper in display properties. In my case that's over 10000 images....!!!
Fortunately I did a full back-up before installing. I've now restored from back-up and everything is fine. I won't be installing this program again.
Xymantix
Reply #20 Monday, July 19, 2004 1:28 PM
Hi Fuzzy,

The program does absolutely nothing with extension registration or anything shell related. All it does is save a copy of the specified image as a .bmp in the program directory, set the current wallpaper to that image, and send the system message that the wallpaper has changed. Are you *sure* that something else couldn't have interferred? If the problem is in any way related to the program, I'd definitely like to solve it. But, I've tested on 2 XP systems, 3 Windows 2000 systems, and a Windows 98 without seeing any of these issues.