How to disable the skinning of IE8 toolbar in WB7?

I don't like it!

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 by Vad_M | Discussion: WindowBlinds

I found the alternative method for skinning Internet Explorer 8 more than half of year ago. It worked fine until I've updated my WindowBlinds to version 7.1 (build 273 - Windows 7 Edition). Now toolbar looks ugly because of it has been repainted to gray color without my consent... And I don't want to see any grey parts in my IE8!

So I want know how to disable this option in WindowBlinds settings. Or I need to reinstall the previous version and ignore this update?

I'm sure that WindowBlinds must help us to make our desktop better. But at the present I'm seeing that it disturb me to modify IE8 toolbars as I want.

Please, fix this annoying  bug!!!!!!

Neil Banfield
Reply #1 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 6:50 AM

This isn't a bug.

WindowBlinds now alters the toolbar to closer match the current WindowBlinds skin rather than using the baby blue toolbar which looked pretty terrible on most skins.

Vad_M
Reply #2 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 7:17 AM

Hi Neil!

Ok. This isn't a bug. But this looks like a BUG because it really disturb me!

So please, tell me how to disable this option.  I'm using the modified ieframe.dll which contains my own set of images to customize IE8. And these images are not gray...

tintin67
Reply #3 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:13 PM

Hi,

there's an option in the WindowBlinds settings which allows you to exclude apps from being skinned. I recently had a bad issue with WB and one thing Stardock Support suggested I should do is exclude one program from being skinned (it gave me an error message before).

These are the instructions I got from support: "Please open the configuration for WindowBlinds, click on the "Settings" button at the top. Click the "Per Aplication tab" and then click "Add...". Browse to the location of..." - in your case IE - "...and select it. Once you do, in the window that appears, under the "Total Exclusion" section check the box that says "Ignore this application and do not skin it"

I believe you do not even have to exclude IE completely but I can't check that out as I'm not running WB at the moment. I hope this works for you!

Vad_M
Reply #4 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 2:18 PM

Thank you tintin. I know about this but the exclusion of IE8 couldn't help me...

My problem is that I made a perfect skin for IE8 by modifying bitmap resources in ieframe.dll. The skin worked fine until I've updated WindowBlinds to the last version.

Now I'm seeing some ugly grey area instead of Metal Toolbar with Pearl Shine. So I need one little thing to be happy - DISABLE THE SKINNING OF IE8 TOOLBAR IN THE WINDOWBLINDS or SKINSTUDIO.

And finally. I don't like when someone decides what color should be applyed to IE8 toolbar on my own computer. I want to decide this by myself!

LightStar
Reply #5 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 2:32 PM

Agreed!

RPGFX
Reply #6 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 2:35 PM

You are deciding yourself.  When you decided to install Windowblinds.

Fuzzy Logic
Reply #7 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 2:42 PM

I'd like to skin the whole damn thing...

I'd also like it if Stardock apps would skin instead of being that awful blue or blue/grey with crappy glassy buttons (or yellow for CursorFX). Heck. it's not even consistent from app to app.

Oh, and Windowblinds with its microscopic scroll bar (it's a good job the skin preview scolls...).

Xiandi
Reply #8 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 2:42 PM

If that can be done....why can't Windowblinds do that?

Vad_M
Reply #9 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 4:13 PM

You are deciding yourself. When you decided to install Windowblinds.

I'm using WB more than 6 years but this is the first time when I can't understand why Stardock's developers made so strange feature for this program... Seems they just try to find the easy way to replace the colors of IE8 toolbar. But this is a wrong way! If they really want to allow us reskin Internet Explorer they must pay attantion to ieframe.dll.

On the other hand I'm not a Stardock employee. And this is not my deal to give them any advices... There is only one simple answer on one simple question that I want to know at this moment: How can I turn off this damn grey color?

And, if this is impossible, I just still use the previous version of WindowBlinds untill this problem will be corrected or until I'll find any way to bypass this...

If that can be done....why can't Windowblinds do that?

There are 19 bitmaps (toolbar and tabs backgrounds) and 5 xml-files (tabs gradient) which must be changed. Besides the HEX colors of Favorites tree view (backround gradient) must be changed too! It's so easy! And I can't understand too why WindowBlinds can't do so easy things...

Neil Banfield
Reply #10 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 4:33 PM

WindowBlinds 7.1 does not provide the option to disable this.  I will see about the next beta introducing the ability for a skin to opt out of this.

You should be aware we do not recommend the hacking of Microsoft dlls.

Neil Banfield
Reply #11 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 4:42 PM

Fuzzy Logic

I'd like to skin the whole damn thing...

The WindowBlinds scrollbar isn't that small.  It is in fact 16 pixels tall which is exactly the same as the default OS scrollbars typically are.

If you click above the bottom 16 pixels you scroll the list by click & drag / throw.  If you click in those 16 pixels it you are interacting with the scrollbar which works in the same way as the normal windows scrollbar.

LightStar
Reply #12 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 5:28 PM

I just took a screen shot of of WB and measured the scroll bar height Neil, it is 7 pixels.  Where is this 16 pixels at?

Vad_M
Reply #13 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 5:30 PM

WindowBlinds 7.1 does not provide the option to disable this. I will see about the next beta introducing the ability for a skin to opt out of this.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! I'll be waiting for next update but now I decided reinstall the previous version.

You should be aware we do not recommend the hacking of Microsoft dlls.

Do you really sure that this is "hacking"? I think - this is CUSTOMIZATION some parts of Graphic User Interface which can not be realized with WindowBlinds!

Ok. We will not touch any dlls when WindowBlinds begin to skin all parts of Windos-7 GUI. Otherwise the kind of some applications is faraway from perfect... The slogan of skinning must be: replace all or don't touch nothing. I.E. this make no sence to change the Start Panel and Window Borders if the other parts of GUI can not be changed.

I can't understand why I must see the white tree view (left panel of Windows Explorer) on the window with black borders and dark blue background... On the same reason I don't like the grey color of IE8 toolbar ih the other parts of skin are Metalic with Pearl Shine...

Neil Banfield
Reply #14 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 5:34 PM

LightStar

The bottom 16 pixels are the scrollbar clickable area.  You do not need click directly in those 7 pixels.

LightStar
Reply #15 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 5:38 PM

The bottom 16 pixels are the scrollbar clickable area. You do not need click directly in those 7 pixels.

Well then why not make the entire 16 pixels visible?  Would make a lot more sense and stop users from complaining.

Neil Banfield
Reply #16 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 5:41 PM

LightStar

Because it would look visually terrible.  Too close to the bottom of the list with the stars.

I have spoken to dani to see if there is anything we can do to make them more obvious.

Lantec
Reply #17 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 6:49 PM

Easy fix...switch to Firefox

Fuzzy Logic
Reply #18 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 8:10 PM

Because it would look visually terrible. Too close to the bottom of the list with the stars.

Plenty of room if you get rid of the stars.

I don't understand their purpose. If I've downloaded a skin and choose to keep it, it means I like it. Why then would I need to rate it and filter it?

Bebi Bulma
Reply #19 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 8:26 PM

Fuzzy Logic

Plenty of room if you get rid of the stars.

I never use them either.

LightStar
Reply #20 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 8:28 PM

I never use them either.

Never use them here either.