Trying to skin Objectdock

Friday, March 5, 2010 by ivnurse | Discussion: ObjectDock

I am very new at all of this and I have a few questions

First, where can I find the userguides, tutorials, help files, or anything like that for ANY of the Stardock products?

Second, how can I skin my Objectdock? I'm running Vista and I have the Objectdock running just fine. I have have downloaded the STRR TREK LCARS skin located at https://www.wincustomize.com/skins.aspx?skinid=14268&libid=29. The flie downloads as StarTrekLCARS.dockzip. I double clicked on the file and was told that my computer didn't recognize the file format. I associated the Objectdock program with the file and double clicked on the file which then apparently unzipped the file.

A new window popped up and told me, "The Objectdock Dockzip Package you've opened has ben added to you Objectdock Library!" So far, so good (apparently)

Next, I clicked on the "Take me to my Objeckdock Library and a Windows Explorer window opens in Documents/Stardock/Objectdock Library. I opened the Backgrounds/Tabbed files and found a file called Star Trek LCARS in which were the background PNGs.

Now what?

Thanks in advance for y'all's help!

ivnurse

Hankers
Reply #1 Friday, March 5, 2010 2:33 PM

Most of your questions can be answered here - WinCustomize Wiki

Mirsguy
Reply #2 Friday, March 5, 2010 4:26 PM

1. Press your "Configure dock" icon, or right-click on the dock and choose "Dock Settings."

2. Go to the appearance tab and choose a different background.

WebGizmos
Reply #3 Friday, March 5, 2010 4:30 PM

Now what?

Now you have 2 choices. First...you can just leave the folders in your "My Documents" folder and apply your backgrounds. But if you choose to use ObjectDock this way you will lose out on some of the graphics created to be used with the dock...such as Plus/Minus images. If your not familiar with what the Plus/Minus images are you can look in my gallery of docks http://webgizmos.wincustomize.com/skins.aspx and click on just about any screenshot in my gallery and then look at the tabbed docks. You will see the images on the right and left of the icons in the docks.

Also...not many people use the "dockzip.zip" method of packaging dock backgrounds..me being one of them. So most of the time you wil have to unzip your chosen backgrounds and then place them in each folder.

Your second choice...and this one works the best...since by doing this you reduce the clutter in your folders. Place "all" dock backgrounds...tabbed...non-tabbed...tiles and so on in the "Programs/stardock/ObjectDock/backgrounds" folder and be done with it. They will all work correctly from there and you will also have the use of the Plus/Minus images as well. If you choose this method you can safely delete the folders in you "My Documents" folder...but make sure you move everything you might want to save on those folders first to the "Programs/stardock/ObjectDock/backgrounds" folder first.

I should also add that should you come across another download that uses the dockzip.zip method it will automatically create the folders again in your "My Documents" folder. But you can just delete it again with no problems. If that should happen...as soon as you click on the dockzip file you can choose to open the folder it was placed in and then just highlight the dock folder and send it to the one I mentioned above. But as I said...not manyt people use this dockzip method.

Lastly...when you choose to try and skin ObjectDock feel free to PM or email me by clicking on my nick if you need help ot have questions on what to do.

ivnurse
Reply #4 Friday, March 5, 2010 6:49 PM

I got it! Thanks for your responces. But why is there no real support on the Stardock site, and even here on Wincustomize, who would think to look for the wiki site from the Wincustomize home page? Crazy. You guys are teriffic...and I just might be PMing you WebGizmos as I am trying to skin this whole machine for my wife who is a Star Trek TNG FREAK! (go figure)

WebGizmos
Reply #5 Friday, March 5, 2010 6:51 PM

No problem bud!

Mirsguy
Reply #6 Friday, March 5, 2010 10:56 PM

who would think to look for the wiki site from the Wincustomize home page?

Documentation is something that has always been lacking. It confused me when I was new, too. I never would have thought to look for a wiki.

WebGizmos
Reply #7 Saturday, March 6, 2010 4:57 AM

I never would have thought to look for a wiki.

Yeah...like..What the hell's a wiki! And who names these things!? Scuze me while I pop into this wiki! Not very manly if you ask me!