Attn. Techies: Is this normal?

Saturday, December 19, 2009 by jscogg | Discussion: Personal Computing

I was looking at my Task Manager, just browsing and looking to see how things were going, and I found this:

Is this normal?

sViz
Reply #1 Saturday, December 19, 2009 12:38 PM

Mine's about the same. Dunno if that makes it right or not.

tito_defekt
Reply #2 Saturday, December 19, 2009 1:07 PM

I have only 5.

The Svchost.exe file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services part of the registry to construct a list of services that it must load. Multiple instances of Svchost.exe can run at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services. Therefore, separate services can run, depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This grouping of services allows for better control and easier debugging.

Daiwa
Reply #3 Saturday, December 19, 2009 1:34 PM

I agree with tito - I think it's normal & the number of instances varies with your setup & activity.

AG3
Reply #4 Saturday, December 19, 2009 1:46 PM

I've got 11 as well, the biggest one taking 106MB of memory at present. This is on a clean (less than a month old) Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit install. I take it that it's pretty normal. At work we use Vista (bleh), and those computers usually have around 6-8 instances of svchost running at a time, from what I remember.

Gammeldansk
Reply #5 Saturday, December 19, 2009 2:26 PM
AgentNihilist
Reply #6 Saturday, December 19, 2009 3:28 PM

You can use Sysinternals process explorer to see what each instance is running.

werewolf
Reply #7 Saturday, December 19, 2009 6:16 PM

you can right click on each one and choose "Go to Services" and it will show you what each is running

Daiwa
Reply #8 Saturday, December 19, 2009 6:49 PM

I think we ought to leave it at that - werewolf closing out fr4nk3nstein's thread.  Has a certain internal logic to it.

(I know, now his is not the last reply)

Nuttygamer