The Community That Gives Back

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 by DaveBax | Discussion: Community

Hello Everyone, I have been a member for a little over two years. I joined after my wife became ill in order to have something to be active in and follow the different events in customization and to help keep my mind on something else. I have made a few right click skins and some very bad wallpapers but was having fun. Than in May my wife passed away that I was with for 46 years. This isn't about that, as it's about Stardock and the Community, however it was necessary to say that so you can know why you have helped me. I haven't been very active over the last 6 months except for the fact I do get on the computer and follow what is going on every day from work and home. I just want to send out a personal "Thank You" to Stardock and this wonderful Community. I know others have done this in the past and I can see now it was with very good reason. Have never been anyplace where you are accepted with open arms so to speak by total strangers. There are always so many people here to help with questions and try to resolve the situation one is having. It's about how this Community has helped me over the past and is helping me now to keep my mind onto something else and especially during this time of the year. You all don't know me, but I feel like I know many of you and it has been my pleasure to do so. Last, this Post isn't to have anyone feel sorry for me, as life isn't fair sometimes but I'm not alone with that. It's from me to "Thank You All" for just doing what you do best and some of that is having fun on here, which has brought many a smile on my face, making the wonderful graphics that many of you do, helping so many people, and just being you.

Reply #1 Tuesday, November 24, 2009 11:52 AM

You're a really nice guy, Dave...and having you as a member of our Community is something we all should be thankful for.

This Holiday season is the toughest time of the year for those who mourn...you and I know that. The folks here have provided me a wonderful alternative to feeling sad. It can't (nor should it) replace our missing loved ones or eliminate our sorrow completely. But it, and the wonderful and weird denizens of this virtual zoo go a long way to ameliorate sorrow...

As Ed and Mark suggested I do, I'll pass it on to you...when you feel that overwhelming, crushing and searing pain...try to think of the wonderful times and if you do this assiduously, there will be slow but definite improvement.

Give yourself time. Make allowances and if you feel something...don't deny it...let it flow through you and leave.

Helen sounds like a person I would really loved to have known, and you're so lucky to have had those years, as I was to have known Carmela and had what time I had with her. Honestly, they will always be with us, and we will always speak with them. I believe that in their way they still hear us and speak back. Listen to her. She loves you still.

As I said, Dave ... as you were lucky with your time with her, we are lucky for our time with you....so, "Thank you Dave for being our friend."

angus1949
Reply #2 Tuesday, November 24, 2009 11:55 AM

We as a community Dave want to know when our friends need support.  We all are sympathetic for your loss and are honored that you consider us as one of the choices you turn to in times of need.  It makes no difference if you've had some time away.  That would only be expected.  The main thing is ultimately how you are coping.  I know you have made a lot of positive comments on poats I have made and I appreciate the support you have shown to me.  Plese feel free to express you feelings either to the community through posts like this or through PMs to individuals.  The health of this community is a sum of all of it's members.  Know you are valued.

DPCloud
Reply #3 Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:03 PM

I was only with mine for 12 years; she passed from Leukemia in February of 01. I was lucky in that we had a 5 year old daughter who kept me going; now it’s almost nine years later and I’m with someone else. I still think of her daily but it no longer hurts. Time heals.

HG_Eliminator
Reply #4 Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:16 PM

It is good to hear the community has a positive influence on people. Keep a chin up dave, time will ease ur pain.

Lantec
Reply #5 Tuesday, November 24, 2009 1:23 PM

We're happy you're here Dave and I'm very sorry to hear about your wife. My condolences.

DaveBax
Reply #6 Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:46 PM

Thanks for all your thoughts, but it is really all about all of you.

k10w3
Reply #7 Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:51 PM

I hope you know if you ever need to talk, you can PM me, Dave.  I know that you're going through some of your darkest days, and I think of you often.  Your openness and bravery at sharing your life is a testimony to all of us about the sort of upstanding character you have.  Thank you for letting me get to know you a little bit better than just an avatar at a website.

Skinhit
Reply #8 Tuesday, November 24, 2009 3:11 PM

Excellent thread. Thank you Dave, as you are part of that very Community you speak of!

Wizard1956
Reply #9 Tuesday, November 24, 2009 5:05 PM

We are all so different here,yet  have so much in common too. Be it in a good way or bad we all have a chance to touch others here in the forums.(Doc,warm those hands up first,will ya!)   Every member has a story to tell which serves to bring us a bit closer together.Thanks for sharing your story with us Dave. I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.

Vampothika
Reply #10 Tuesday, November 24, 2009 5:17 PM

im sorry to hear about your loss Dave, but im glad your keeping posative and active, its the best way.

Gammeldansk
Reply #11 Tuesday, November 24, 2009 5:49 PM

And a thank you from me to you Dave. It's no nonsense folk like you who are the backbone of this community.  By the way I like your walls and screensavers. Nothing "bad" there.

pjdark
Reply #12 Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:46 PM

I am very sorry for your loss Dave. I hope your doing well. And i agree with Vampothika, that you have a positive attitude and are keeping busy with other things. That's great man. I wish you nothing but the best for you. Take care my friend.

DaveBax
Reply #13 Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:09 PM

You are all so kind with your comments. My wife would not have wanted me to give up and I just got done telling her about you all. Yes it's only to her pictures but I like to think I can see her smile when I'm done.

DaveBax
Reply #14 Thursday, November 26, 2009 10:48 AM

Hope you all have a wonderful Holiday.

Wizard1956
Reply #15 Thursday, November 26, 2009 10:53 AM

Same to you Dave.

CarGuy1
Reply #16 Thursday, November 26, 2009 10:57 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss. Hope you have a good holiday also.

Reply #17 Thursday, November 26, 2009 11:36 AM

Dave...from the heart: Happy Thanksgiving, my friend!

DaveBax
Reply #18 Thursday, November 26, 2009 12:01 PM

Thank you as I will use your heart, mine isn't feeling very well.

starkers
Reply #19 Monday, November 30, 2009 10:06 AM

Tell you what, Dave, this community has given me hope and strength throughout the years I've been coming here and I'm grateful, like you, to all the fantastic people who comprise this great and wonderful community.  I don't frequent to many online communities, but I doubt there is another quite like this one... another that cares and rallies around those who need that extra bit of support every now and then.

I also want to thank you, Dave, for putting up this thread.  Every now and then we need to reflect on the human condition to better appreciate our lives, the lives of our friends and family... all that we have and all that we are.  Your thread has helped to remind us there is another feeling human being behind the text.... thank you.

Reply #20 Monday, November 30, 2009 10:25 AM

DaveBax
Thank you as I will use your heart, mine isn't feeling very well.

And welcome to it! Always!