desktop watermark on windows 7 final

Sunday, November 15, 2009 by JavaFiend | Discussion: Personal Computing

I recently got my windows 7 disk for my sager laptop.  I did a clean install and all was good.  A few days ago, the desktop watermark appeated, windows 7 build 7600.  Should that be there?  I suppose I could run the same thing that got rid of that on the beta's, but why did it appear?  Anyone have any ideas, has anyone else seen this?

Thanks.

RPGFX
Reply #1 Sunday, November 15, 2009 11:54 PM

I don't have a watermark... I don't think it should be there on the release version...

JavaFiend
Reply #2 Monday, November 16, 2009 8:54 AM

That is what I thought.  It wasn't there originally, for probably 2 weeks or so.  Then, bam, I booted up one day and there it was.  Not sure if an update possibly did it?  I haven't looked yet at the recent ones I allowed.  I may uninstall those to see if it goes away.

Neil Banfield
Reply #3 Monday, November 16, 2009 9:00 AM

Have you activated it?

If not I think the version may show on the desktop.

Ausvet
Reply #4 Monday, November 16, 2009 9:53 AM

If you use TuneUp or Iolo Utils or similar type S/W some of them have options to enable show OS version on Desktop.

Otherwise there is a registry hack to enable/disable it here.

starkers
Reply #5 Monday, November 16, 2009 9:55 AM

Anyone have any ideas, has anyone else seen this?

Been a while since I played around in XP, but as I recall there was a 'show version on desktop' function somewhere in the options.  It may be that this function is in Win 7 also (not that I've checked/seen it) and possibly it was inadvertantly activated.

That ^ or maybe this v

Have you activated it?

If not I think the version may show on the desktop.

Vad_M
Reply #6 Monday, November 16, 2009 9:55 AM

Run Command Prompt as Administrator. Type: mcbuilder.exe and press "Enter". Wait until process will be finished (it may take about 1 minute). Then reboot your computer...

Hope you will not see the watermark on the desktop.

JavaFiend
Reply #7 Monday, November 16, 2009 9:04 PM

It is activated, and I wasn't using any extra programs that I have used in the past.  Not to say that isn't it.  I will poke around, and try what Vad_M said.  Thanks for the input.

I will report back.

I also bought the family pack upgrade dvd so I will be installing 7 on a few computers, so I will see if it happens again to me.

JavaFiend
Reply #8 Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:25 PM

Ausvet

Otherwise there is a registry hack to enable/disable it here.

checked that, already set to 0

JavaFiend
Reply #9 Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:26 PM

Vad_M

Hope you will not see the watermark on the desktop.

Tried this too, nothing.  It sat there a bit, I rebooted, but still there.  Anyone else have a suggestion?

wallstop
Reply #10 Thursday, November 19, 2009 12:44 AM

Does that work?

JavaFiend
Reply #11 Saturday, November 21, 2009 8:25 AM

wallstop

Does that work?

I will give that a shot.  Thanks for all the help, it is appreciated.

JavaFiend
Reply #12 Monday, November 23, 2009 10:50 AM

wallstop

Does that work?

That worked perfectly.  Thanks a ton.