DesktopX 4.0 Pro Beta 1 bug reports

Questions, Complaints, issues

Saturday, November 7, 2009 by Littleboy | Discussion: DesktopX

Update: A new build has been released with some fixes (along with availability of the standard version). Bug reports should now be made in this thread.

DestkopX 4.0 Pro Beta 1 has been released on Impulse.

Zubaz is relaxing on his private island today (he will tell you he's sick, don't believe him!), so here is a thread to post issues.

There is no official changelog yet, but here are a few changes:

• Plugins and data can now be found in "%ProgramData%\Stardock\DesktopX\SDPlugins". If you have custom plugins installed, you will have to manually copy them from the DesktopX folder in Program Files for your objects to work.
  • Themes, objects & gadgets are now in Public Documents\Stardock\DesktopX
  • DesktopX right-click menu to create new objects

Post anything that looks odd.  Make sure to give your system information including your OS (including 32 or 64 bit), Service Pack version and if it's hard to explain (or even if it isn't) a screenshot.

Littleboy
Reply #1 Saturday, November 7, 2009 3:45 PM

Export of gadgets (simple or custom deployment) seems to be broken. When trying to launch the exported exe, a dialog box pops up complaining about a missing IE6.

---------------------------
IE6 not found!
---------------------------
This application requires Internet Explorer 6.0 or later on Windows 98 systems.

Please update your Internet Explorer installation from http://www.microsoft.com/ie.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

DesktopX Pro 3.89 (clean install)

PurrBall
Reply #2 Saturday, November 7, 2009 4:22 PM

Not seeing it in Impulse.

Vad_M
Reply #3 Saturday, November 7, 2009 4:37 PM

In general I cannot find any differences between 3.50 and 3.89 except three things:

1. I see: "DesktopX Builder 4.0" on the configuration window...

2. Export to Sidebar Gadgets has been removed...

And finally...

This application requires Internet Explorer 6.0 or later on Windows 98 systems.

3. I see the same on Windows-7 x86...

The other known bugs and issues which I saw in 3.50 still without any changes. As a result I'm very sad...

Littleboy
Reply #4 Saturday, November 7, 2009 4:39 PM

PurrBall: it seems it's only the Pro version at this time.

Vad_M: They also updated it to be Vista/7 compliant (moving plugins & data to user folders instead of keeping them in %Program Files%). I haven't tested all the bugs I reported yet, so I don't know how many are fixed. The scripting host dll (DXAxHost) is still the old one, so this one hasn't be updated (yet). We'll probably know more on monday.

Vad_M
Reply #5 Saturday, November 7, 2009 4:40 PM

Not seeing it in Impulse.

Rejoice!

Otherwise you would be disappointed already today...

Littleboy
Reply #6 Saturday, November 7, 2009 5:02 PM

Ok, here is the list of my reported bugs and their status with DX Pro 3.89

• Object rotation broken: not fixed
  • Objects with running script on exit crashing DX: not fixed
  • Object rotation showing the last frame of animated objects: not fixed
  • ActiveX controls show through hidden layer after moving parent objects: not fixed
  • Size limit for remote pictures (and System.DownloadFile) and crash when viewing properties: not fixed
  • Corruption with 8-bit png files: not fixed
  • Crash when loading a jpeg with the png extension: not fixed
  • Cycles in object parent/owner causing infinite loop/crash: not fixed
  • ActiveX cloning problem (parent/child and z-order): not fixed
  • Crash on export with high coordinates: not fixed
  • Objects with more than 50 custom files crash DesktopX: not fixed

Also some of the previous bugs that would crash DesktopX or go into an infinite loop are now locking the explorer process

Vad_M
Reply #7 Saturday, November 7, 2009 5:13 PM

One little question before I'll go to sleep: "Why the hell we have spent so much time participating in this discussion?": https://forums.wincustomize.com/345094

Littleboy
Reply #8 Saturday, November 7, 2009 5:23 PM

Well, it's only the first beta so there is plenty of time to fix broken things before the final version.

BTW there is a way to run DesktopX 3.50 and DesktopX 3.89 side-by-side (ie. both "installed" and able to run, but not at the same time). Before installing the new beta, go to %Program Files%\Stardock\ and make a copy of the DesktopX folder (and rename it to DesktopX3). Then install the new version (doing a clean install if preferable). Plugin path seems to be hardcoded, so you will then have to copy the SDPlugin folder to the new version folder.

RedneckDude
Reply #9 Saturday, November 7, 2009 5:53 PM

The load desktop dialog box contains only the desktops that come with DX. None of my desktops are there. They are in the directory, but not in the dialog box, which means I have to browse to the DX directory to load. This remains true even after I save desktop as....still not there.

Anyone else having this trouble?

Littleboy
Reply #10 Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:06 PM

RedneckDude: Did you make a clean install? Is the folder where you saved your desktops in Program Files?

The location of all theme & objects has changed. They can now be found in the public documents, along with IP themes, WindowBlinds skins, CursorFX cursors, Bootskins, etc. If I put my desktops in the new folder, they appear in the load theme dialog box.

Stardock probably needs to add the same feature as in WB that copies your themes over when updating.

RedneckDude
Reply #11 Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:44 PM

Littleboy

Anyone else having this trouble?

I did not clean install, I updated. The skins are still in the directory, where they've always been, just not showing in the dialog that results when you choose Load Desktop.

Littleboy
Reply #12 Saturday, November 7, 2009 7:05 PM

Yep, I think that directory is no longer used by DX, so you need to move your themes to Public Documents/Stardock/DesktopX/Themes

RedneckDude
Reply #13 Saturday, November 7, 2009 8:39 PM

Ahh..   Thanx!  No new plugins? I had a bunch, only 5 or so now....

Littleboy
Reply #14 Saturday, November 7, 2009 8:57 PM

See the post (I updated it slightly): your plugins haven't been moved either, they go to a folder in %ProgramData%/Stardock/SDPlugins now

sViz
Reply #15 Saturday, November 7, 2009 10:26 PM

Thanks for this post Littleboy; I've been trying to find where the DX folder is, never would have thought to look in Public (?!). I have the same issues already mentioned.

• Silica weather is still included in widgets
  • Accept Drag and Drop still not working after export

Aside from the switch up in folder locations and the r-click on desktop to create new object, I'm not seeing anything new.

---

Windows Vista Ultimate, Service Pack 2,  32-bit

RedneckDude
Reply #16 Saturday, November 7, 2009 10:27 PM

I must ask what the % means.

edit....nevermind.

RedneckDude
Reply #17 Saturday, November 7, 2009 10:29 PM

Silica weather is still included in widgets
Accept Drag and Drop still not working after export

---

Windows Vista Ultimate, Service Pack 2,  32-bit

DITTO....

Littleboy
Reply #18 Saturday, November 7, 2009 10:36 PM

The two % means it's a special folder environment variable (there is a list here). If you copy & paste it in the folder path in explorer, it will expand to the ProgramData folder on your computer (usually it's C:\ProgramData).

It's especially useful if you need to point people to their Application Data folder (it has their username in the path, so you cannot give them a full path directly): %AppData% and %LocalAppData% will expand to their roaming application data folder and local application folder when pasted in explorer (or cmd.exe).

edit: now everybody knows

RedneckDude
Reply #19 Saturday, November 7, 2009 11:31 PM

Thanks, Dude!  As before, choosing Toggle Object Palette when right clicking the DX icon in the systray does nada.

sViz
Reply #20 Sunday, November 8, 2009 12:48 AM

RedneckDude

Works for me. Are you on Win 7?