Purchase 32 or 64 windows 7

Sunday, October 25, 2009 by DaveBax | Discussion: Personal Computing

I have been using the 32 bit version of windows 7 for 6 months now. Going out to get the full version of 7 home premium. I have a Dell xps 720 thatcame with Vista 32 on it 1 1/2 years ago. When I installed 7 I also added a second hard drive that works great. I have 4 GB of memory but can add more, Video card is nVidia 8800 GT 512MB, Core 2 Q6600 quad-core 8mb L.2 cache, 2.4GHz, 1066FSB processer.

Does anyone know if I upgrade to 64 bit will I be able to find drivers for my system? I called Dell and they were no help. Thank You.

DaveBax
Reply #1 Sunday, October 25, 2009 10:27 AM

ADD TO ABOVE. I don't do what a lot of you do as no video, not much music, and only have maybe 4 windows open at any one time. I have been happy with this system but if 64 bit will make it better that is what I trying to find out. I have read the differences and read all the many post on here but just not sure if I need it.

Ausvet
Reply #2 Sunday, October 25, 2009 10:33 AM

Most drivers are supported now, TV cards seem to be main problem. I think the install will find all the drivers for you.

Win7 64bit found all drivers for my 4 year old Dell desktop. What other peripherals do you have ?

DaveBax
Reply #3 Sunday, October 25, 2009 10:44 AM

Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card, 22" wide screen monitor and 2 hard drives a 320 Seagate and a 1TB seagate. I do have a TV card but don't use it anymore as I'm alone not since my wife passed away in May and just don't need to watch any TV on here. I have the other normal things like Optical drives, etc. Just trying to find out if it will be better for me going with 64 as I know the 4GB of memory won't be enough.

Trigeminal
Reply #4 Sunday, October 25, 2009 10:45 AM

Keep in mind you aren't getting all 4gb of ram in a 32bit os.

Ausvet
Reply #5 Sunday, October 25, 2009 10:53 AM

All the drives will have drivers available, as will printers in last 4 years, it will run like a dream on 4 Gb. I think you will be fine and with an extra Gig approx available than the 32 bit can use. Search the sites of your peripherals to make sure drivers available if you are worried.

DaveBax
Reply #6 Sunday, October 25, 2009 11:05 AM

Thanks, I know I don't use 4GB with 32 bit. Just tying to see if I would actually run better than I am which is fine for what I do. going to buy 7 and it's the same price for 32 or 64 that is why I'm asking all you fine people here.

lbgsloan
Reply #7 Monday, October 26, 2009 3:28 PM

I thought Win7 discs came with both versions?  You should be able format and try again if the 64-bit version gives you issues.  64-bit is preferable, even without 4GB of RAM.  32-bit programs run fine, while software optimized for 64-bit will run quite a bit better.  Only ancient drivers with 16-bit install packages tend to cause issues.  Vista 64-bit has been out long enough now that any serious hardware company will have 64-bit drivers for any supported product by now.  Plus if you ever add more RAM, you won't need to format the OS to make use of it.  The only real x-factor is Win7 itself, as some drivers may not work on it 32 or 64 bit.

The Sound Blaster is the only thing I'd be concerned with, but if it worked in 32-bit Win7 you shouldn't have a problem.

JSW_Ballz
Reply #8 Monday, October 26, 2009 4:07 PM

I have 4 GB and a dual-core, so I've been using the 64bit Win7 RC (my preorders haven't arrived yet).  Thus far, I've had little to no trouble from switching to 64 bit.  My biggest issue is that Google Chrome doesn't work for 64 bit Windows, but I usually use FireFox, anyways.

And yes, I think they both come on the same disc.  I'd suggest you just use 64 bit and switch if you have issues.

Spooky__
Reply #9 Monday, October 26, 2009 4:15 PM

Unless you need to use some old 16-bit application or other applications that do not run on a WoW32 and unless you have to use hardware for which no 64-bit drivers are availalbe, you should always go for the x64 version.

OMG_Jongalt26
Reply #10 Monday, October 26, 2009 4:40 PM

I agree with Spooky, there's little reason to go with 32 bit unless you Have to use a TV tuner.  The only thing i've had trouble finding 64 bit drivers for is printers.

Please keep in mind that 32 bit can only address a Total of 4 gigs of ram, that includes your video card. It is recommended that if you have 3 gigs of ram (or more) or plan to add more later then go with 64 bit. You should see performance increases by going with 64 bit.

As far as the ram goes you are best off using only 2 sticks of ram.  Adding more that 2 sticks will result in your ram being "underclocked" as latencies are increased.  Assuming you have (2) 2 gig sticks, the best upgrade path for ram would be (2) 4 gig sticks and removing the originals entirely.  That's a $300 upgrade though so i wouldn't recommend it.

I've been running 64 bit  win7 on my primary system since mid summer without problems and i just installed it on my wifes laptop this past weekend without problems. (well except tracking down that damn printer driver, but i had problems with that for vista 64 bit)

Good luck!

j

Vad_M
Reply #11 Monday, October 26, 2009 5:17 PM

Keep in mind you aren't getting all 4gb of ram in a 32bit os.

Hmmm... Please look below:

I've used this already on Vista x86. And now I made the same changes with my Windows-7 x86. The system see 4GB ram and all programs are working perfect...

Several words about x64. I've tested Win-7 x64 during 1 week and I'm really like it. However some of my programs which I use every day does not support the x64 Windows. So I returned back to x86.

And finally. The results of Performance Tests and WEI are approximately equal for these both systems... At least on my PC.

CobraA1
Reply #12 Wednesday, October 28, 2009 1:44 AM

However some of my programs which I use every day does not support the x64 Windows. So I returned back to x86.

I'd be curious to know what they are. My experience is that 32 bit support is excellent in x64 Windows. With the exception of some firewalls and antiviruses, the transition was very smooth. And by now, the antiviruses and firewalls all have 64 bit support.

Well, except maybe Sunbelt, I don't know what's taking them so long when every competitor has already moved. I had to drop them, and moved to COMODO.

I have a Core 2 Quad, runs 64 bit Windows 7 very well .

Every DirectX 10 card I know of supports 64 bit, that's unlikely to be a problem.

The only CPUs I know of that don't have 64 bit support are pre-Core 2 CPUs and Atoms.

. . . and oh, yeah, even though my netbook with its Atom doesn't support 64 bit, it does run Windows 7 very well . I was surprised it even supported Aero (although it has a miserably low Aero score, lol).

And Microsoft has really improved their desktop graphics performance. That thing they did to make it more concurrent, scalable, and use less memory? Paid off in spades IMHO. Even over Windows XP, it feels very responsive. Even on a netbook you notice it.

Jafo
Reply #13 Wednesday, October 28, 2009 1:58 AM

The system see 4GB ram and all programs are working perfect...

It may list the 4gig but it won't be able to address all 4.  It is a physical limitation of 32bit...which must address system ram as well as GPU ram.

Jafo
Reply #14 Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:05 AM

As an addendum...my Sysmetrix is currently showing 4gig of available...1.58 used...and a swap file of 4.

I hate to tell it but I have 12 of each, whilst running 4 Virtual Machines...2 of XP, 1gig and 2gig, 1 of win98 256meg and 1 of win 7 ultimate of 4gig.

Win 7 64bit sees and addresses it all ...it's just that Nick coded Sysmetrix back when no-one had more than 4gig anyway....

TucoBenedicto
Reply #15 Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:07 AM

There isn't any single good reason to keep buying a 32 bit OS today.

Neilo
Reply #16 Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:16 AM

I thought Win7 discs came with both versions?

Correct, though not the entry level version, Basic i think its called.

carlobee
Reply #17 Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:19 AM

nice information here. useful!

Vad_M
Reply #18 Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:35 AM

I'd be curious to know what they are.

For example my converter for *.tga 32-bit to *.png 32-bit, Photoshop plug-ins, all sidebar gadgets created with DesktopX and several other small but very useful tools and utilities which I uses every day...

It may list the 4gig but it won't be able to address all 4. It is a physical limitation of 32bit...which must address system ram as well as GPU ram.

This make sense Jafo. However there is one way to bypass the memory limits. I will not talk here about the details because I'm not sure that this way is totally legal... But in brief I made two simple steps:

1. I've modified ntkrnlpa.exe (no comments...)

2. I've increased the user-mode virtual address space (to help applications like Photoshop use more ram): bcdedit /set {current} increaseuserarea 3072 (tipe in the command prompt) LINK: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa906211.aspx

Now look at the screenshot abow (Resouce Monitor):

Available Memory: 3054 MB

Cached Memory: 923 MB

Total Memory: 4044 MB (4096 minus 74 MB Hardware Reserved)

Installed Memory: 4096 MB

Now lets calculate: 74 MB (Hardware Reserved) + 901 MB (In Use) + 67 MB (Modified) + 856 MB (Standby) + 2198 MB (Free) = 4096 MB. You may trust me or not but now all of 4GB ram can be used on my Win-7 x86.

CobraA1
Reply #19 Wednesday, October 28, 2009 10:13 AM

There isn't any single good reason to keep buying a 32 bit OS today.

I have a netbook with an Atom.

But, other than that, you're right.

Well, and apparently people with Photoshop:

For example my converter for *.tga 32-bit to *.png 32-bit, Photoshop plug-ins

humm, strange, but okay, Photoshop must be doing something at low levels of the CPU (at the register level) for something like that to be affected. I guess they're probably doing oprimizations in ASM or something.

I've been using the GIMP, seems to be fine. Not as powerful as Photoshop, but it'll perform conversions fine. Although I'm not sure if you're talking 32 bits overall (8 bits/color, RGBA) or 32 bits/color?

The GIMP, unfortunately, doesn't support HDR yet .

In your situation, yeah, that makes sense.

all sidebar gadgets created with DesktopX

That's likely to change in the near future. Stardock is pushing hard to bring their stuff up to 64 bit.

OMG_Jongalt26
Reply #20 Wednesday, October 28, 2009 10:21 AM

Vad, you should turn off utorrent when sharing pictures of your tasks

Also Vad, that's pretty interesting.   have you tried running any benchmarks comparing 64 versus 32?  Im curious to see what you come up with.

Dave, Here is more info for you:

Pros & cons of 64 bit.