Win 7 UAC is driving me crazy

Saturday, October 17, 2009 by CarGuy1 | Discussion: Personal Computing

I have a bit of an problem with UAC and was wondering if any of the experts in the community could help me resolve it.

I've got a few programs set to load at Windows start up and UAC refuses to let them. Speedfan, Steam, and the EVGA precision graphics tuner will not load automaticly at start up no matter what I try. I've tried putting shortcuts in the startup folder, set them to run as administrator, and setting them to start at start up within each of the programs.

Is there a way to tell UAC to ignore a program and allow it to start? Perhaps something in group policy that I'm missing?

I have a few other programs that will not run correctly with UAC also. Particle Illusion has a problem when I try to render, UAC blocks access to the project file so it will not allow it to progress. Since it's not an executible, I can't set it to run in admin mode.

If I turn UAC off, all of my issues are resolved. I was looking to leave it on with Win 7 but if it doesn't allow me to control what boots or what I can run, it's no better than Vista's version to me.

So...are there any UAC experts out there or is every one just turning it off, like in Vista?

crashmatusow
Reply #1 Saturday, October 17, 2009 10:50 AM

hmm. if you have an administrator account, then anything you install should be able to set itself to startup as administrator.

As for the programs that require elevation, some were just poorly programmed and modify files in places they shouldn't be stored.

sounds like you have your UAC cranked way up? they added new settings levels for UAC, try the one that only prompts when something wants to change your computer.

LightStar
Reply #2 Saturday, October 17, 2009 10:59 AM

Just turn it off if you know what your doing, I did.

vStyler
Reply #3 Saturday, October 17, 2009 11:48 AM

thought 7 was supposed to fix all this.. bah

CarGuy1
Reply #4 Saturday, October 17, 2009 12:13 PM

Forgot to mention...running as an admin account with UAC at the lowest setting before turning it off.

LightStar, that's pretty much where I'm at.

I'm savvy enough to run without it so it's not that big of a deal but I was under the same impression as V, I thought 7 was supposed to have these problems worked out.

WebGizmos
Reply #5 Saturday, October 17, 2009 12:27 PM

Glad I never had this problem with XP.

yrag
Reply #6 Saturday, October 17, 2009 12:48 PM
Kitkun
Reply #7 Saturday, October 17, 2009 1:04 PM

Even setting it to quiet mode via TweakUAC doesn't stop some of the annoying things. Found out the hard way that if you manually modify some files within the Program Files, UAC will silently make a backup and use that. Only way to disable it was to turn UAC off completely.

skibadee
Reply #8 Saturday, October 17, 2009 2:32 PM

turn it of

Wizard1956
Reply #9 Saturday, October 17, 2009 3:03 PM

Useless AnnoyingCrap.

ogham
Reply #10 Saturday, October 17, 2009 4:30 PM

Click the Windows button, type secpol.msc and hit enter/return.  On the left, expand 'local policies' then go into security options submenu.  On the right, scroll down to the bottom and you'll see 10 different options for User Account Control.  You can make it do whatever you want from here, including never to prompt you again.

Expand windows and columns as needed to see these options.  Be careful if you don't know what you're doing.  Read the eplanations for each security option twice before deciding to change anything.

CarGuy1
Reply #11 Saturday, October 17, 2009 5:42 PM

Quiet Mode

Reboot

I wish it were that easy. Actually Tweak7 has the ability to set UAC to a non prompt elevation mode but thats not the issue. With UAC on, Windows 7 just ignores loading the programs altogether...no prompts at all. Well, thats not entirely true, the EVGA tuner prompts me for permission but it fails to load even after that.

What baffels me is that you would think that Steam would be one of the first that would be Win 7 freindly. It's not as if they don't have a update budget.

Yet another area that Impulse outshines Steam...it loads at start up with out a problem.

Click the Windows button, type secpol.msc and hit enter/return.

Thanks but I've been through the security policy UAC setting and just don't see a catagory that covers the problem.

I do appreciate the feedback but so far it looks like I'll be leaving it off for now.

yrag
Reply #12 Saturday, October 17, 2009 8:01 PM

If that didn't work, you have something else going on.

You have two options:

1- Turn it off

2- Setup an Elevated  Privilege  Startup in Task Scheduler.

Reply #13 Saturday, October 17, 2009 8:35 PM

Cars....you just got a subscription on Technet, right? Maybe there's something on there about it in their Forums?

Worth a try?

LightStar
Reply #14 Saturday, October 17, 2009 10:46 PM

I thought 7 was supposed to have these problems worked out.

Actually, the only thing Windows 7 does is allow the user to set the level of UAC.  If you turned off UAC in Windows Vista, it complained all the time.  If you turn it off in Windows 7 though, it does not mention it again once you have made your decision to do it.  Those are the only UAC changes that I know of.

Savyg
Reply #15 Sunday, October 18, 2009 3:18 AM

That is a really odd problem.  One of those 'shouldn't happen whether you're using UAC or not' things.

*ponders*

Savyg
Reply #16 Sunday, October 18, 2009 3:43 AM

LightStar

The default is vastly different though.  If it believes the action was user initiated, it doesn't prompt you.  If it believes the action was program initiated, it does.

9009892789574% less annoying.

CarGuy1
Reply #17 Sunday, October 18, 2009 10:29 AM

Thanks to all.

Gary's suggestion of setting up an elevated  privilege  startup may be the solution if I want to spend more time trying to get it work. For now, I'll just leave it off.

Doc, thanks.. the Microsoft forums was the first place I looked. This is such a great community I decided I would have better results here.

I didn't bother posting the question on the MS forums because I would have gotten 10 replys on why  Win 7 's UAC is superior to Vista's, 10 counter replys to why Vista's sucks, 10 more on the pros and the 10 on the cons, 10 more discussing the creation of UAC, 10 on how it should be outlawed and Microsoft sued over putting it in, and at least 1 troll saying that if I was running Mac OS 10, I wouldn't have this problem. Out of all of the replys, maybe 1 would have a suggestion of a cure or work around.

I think Wizard had it right to begin with...

Useless AnnoyingCrap.

starkers
Reply #18 Sunday, October 18, 2009 8:26 PM

I didn't bother posting the question on the MS forums because I would have gotten 10 replys on why Win 7 's UAC is superior to Vista's, 10 counter replys to why Vista's sucks, 10 more on the pros and the 10 on the cons, 10 more discussing the creation of UAC, 10 on how it should be outlawed and Microsoft sued over putting it in, and at least 1 troll saying that if I was running Mac OS 10, I wouldn't have this problem. Out of all of the replys, maybe 1 would have a suggestion of a cure or work around.

You forgot the Linux fanboi reply: "Linux doesn't have these permission issues... and it's FREE!"

Obviously kona hasn't seen this... YET.

ShelbyGT_The_Car
Reply #19 Sunday, October 18, 2009 9:51 PM

More like if you use it and do it right you are ok. Doing things wrong and it will go wrong... till all drivers are signed properly things will go wrong for win7. Just as vista started out with just so much signed drivers. You will have to live with how you want to use uac. But my best suggestion is to use it - if a program does not run right ... reinstall it while logged into admin. There are some tweaks; but each to his own. Things are different for each machine and for each way you setup that machine.

UAC is needed; but how to completely use it is up to the user. So most do as you are " turn it off " . Thus making things work or so it seems they do. Really I think it delays the problems till a later time. So I really have no idea where to go on or off you have a os which reguires things you can't give it.

I just love the new os and the old. Never does everything but what it wants too. Fun with computing!

kona0197
Reply #20 Sunday, October 18, 2009 9:56 PM

Obviously kona hasn't seen this... YET

I have. I choose not to reply. I'm not into Linux as much as you think.