What is a 'skin'?

Monday, August 24, 2009 by Snowman | Discussion: Community

No, I've gone completely mad... (at least, not yet)
I do offcourse know what a skin is

But a friend of mine have asked me, after seeing some shared links on Facebook, if I could explain her what these 'things' were.
I happen to know that just referring her to a bunch websites for the info, wouldn't do her diddle, and it's frikkin' hard to explain a total and complete computer newbie what the hell skinning is about, and what skins are, just on text.... (at least for me)

The best way, that I can come up with, of defining a skin is:

A set of graphics applied to an application to alter it's appearance.

This does offcourse make all sence to US, but to someone without the faintest clue it's just not enough.

How would you explain it?!

Wizard1956
Reply #1 Monday, August 24, 2009 10:20 AM

It's like remodeling your bathroom. The function of the room  remains the same but everything can have a fresh new look. ODNT is much cheaper than tile,paint and wallpaper however.

CarGuy1
Reply #2 Monday, August 24, 2009 10:28 AM

Along the same lines... Is a wallpaper or a Dream a skin?

Reply #3 Monday, August 24, 2009 10:32 AM

With two pictures....one of regular Windows....the second with a skin applied. You can always add screenies later if the person wants to learn more, or just send them to the Galleries (after suitable psychological preparation)

OR, you could make a vid about it....I think showing what you mean GRAPHICALLY would make all the difference....maybe using remote desktop to go to websites with your friend and audio conference at the same time...assuming you aren't neighbors...to show what you're talking about.

Maybe a trial copy of WB, and using remote desktop with it on his/her computer...showing your friend the differences.

A picture is worth 1K words.

Jafo
Reply #4 Monday, August 24, 2009 10:54 AM

Altering the Graphic Interface.

That about covers it...

tazgecko
Reply #5 Monday, August 24, 2009 11:06 AM

Noun: skin

(computing) a collection of colour schemes, sounds, artwork, etc, used in the interface of a computer program, usually interchangeably.

or like me you could just say "it makes your windows look cool".

ZubaZ
Reply #6 Monday, August 24, 2009 11:27 AM

or like me you could just say "it makes your windows look cool".

Fuzzy Logic
Reply #7 Monday, August 24, 2009 12:42 PM

How would you explain it?!

Like taking stuff without the side effects. Your screen goes all nicely coloured...

Snowman
Reply #8 Monday, August 24, 2009 1:10 PM

Altering the Graphic Interface.

That about covers it...

Yeah, but guess what her next question would be?
"What's a Graphic Interface?"

Snowman then goes

Fuzzy... I wouldn't have expected a different answer from you...

Mirsguy
Reply #9 Monday, August 24, 2009 1:50 PM

What I usually tell people is: a skin is something that makes my Windows on the computer look cool and unique. That explanation along with seeing my screen usually gets the point across.

RedneckDude
Reply #10 Monday, August 24, 2009 2:05 PM

No, I've gone completely mad... (at least, not yet)

Just omitting words don't make you mad.

IMO, a skin is something that changes the gooey into something different.

2of3
Reply #11 Monday, August 24, 2009 5:47 PM

Once I've explained what it is I do (and I know that they get it) they usually look at me like I'm nuts anyway.

Snowman
Reply #12 Monday, August 24, 2009 6:03 PM

Hell yeah, I hear ya, brother.
I've gotten "that look" many a time.

BONEHEADdb
Reply #13 Monday, August 24, 2009 6:13 PM

I just tell 'em "skins keeps your insides in".

HG_Eliminator
Reply #14 Monday, August 24, 2009 7:54 PM

Skins change the way your Desktop looks.

bk13GarbageMan
Reply #15 Monday, August 24, 2009 8:12 PM

"What's a Graphic Interface?"

Try telling Her that it is all the pictures that make up the program, buttons, window borders, etc.......that worked for Me once.

I just tell 'em "skins keeps your insides in".

HG_Eliminator
Reply #16 Monday, August 24, 2009 8:54 PM

skins be them things ya peel off taters..

RedneckDude
Reply #17 Monday, August 24, 2009 8:59 PM

Condoms are sometimes called "skins"...lol....did I say that?

mickeko
Reply #18 Monday, August 24, 2009 9:07 PM

Well, skins are like clothing for your software. While they change the appearance, what's underneath remain the same.

voidcore
Reply #19 Monday, August 24, 2009 9:08 PM

Banned for being a redneck!..... ooopps wrong thread

Skinning performed on live humans as a form of corporal punishment, known as flaying. As the removal of all (or most) of a person's skin is terminal, as well as extremely painful, this is a brutal method of capital punishment.

Make sure the person not google skinning and finds the wiki page... then you might have trouble.

Mirsguy