Dock Switching in OD free version

Switching between Docks in OD free version

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 by Gammeldansk | Discussion: ObjectDock

I use the free version of ObjectDock, but I have too many apps (docklets) to fit visually on one dock, so I have two docks. OD free allows me to create and save several docks, but only one can be displayed and therefore used at any one time. To switch docks I have to open the OD Properties window, select Themes, select and open the new dock. Apply the dock and finally close the window. This is cumbersome to say the least. Is it possible to string these mouse clicks into one "meta" click that could then be assigned a shortcut I could place on the Quick Launch Bar to one-click dock switching. Two mini programs would be needed to change from Dock1 to Dock2 and vice-versa. Is such a thing possible? I remember hearing ages ago that multiple key presses could be assigned to one key press - but I think that was back in the MS-DOS days!
Bichur
Reply #1 Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:05 PM

rocket dock is comparable and will run along side object doce - then you have 2 docks

Gammeldansk
Reply #2 Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:36 AM
Thanks for that. Will certainly try Rocketdock.
Mirsguy
Reply #3 Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:47 AM

$20 bucks will get you ObjectDock Plus. Sounds like you are a user that wants more than what the free version can give.

I highly recommend +.

messiah1
Reply #4 Thursday, July 23, 2009 10:17 AM

I highly recommend +.

yeah, you get TABBED Docks, which is probably the biggest plus for the plus version.

inc0gnito
Reply #5 Thursday, July 23, 2009 3:27 PM

messiah1
Yeah, you get TABBED Docks, which is probably the biggest plus for the plus version.
But please bear in mind that tabbed docks take ages to load compared to standard docks.

Mirsguy
Reply #6 Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:12 PM

Mine have always popped up rather quickly.

Gammeldansk
Reply #7 Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:54 PM

Thanks folks for all your help. I'm trying out Rocketdock now. Its good and does what I wanted, but you know it looks a bit different to OD even with the same background in use. I'll go for OD Plus when the next paycheck comes in.

Mirsguy
Reply #8 Thursday, July 23, 2009 5:00 PM

I'll go for OD Plus when the next paycheck comes in.

You won't be sorry!

scorpNZ
Reply #9 Thursday, July 23, 2009 5:22 PM

OD Tabbed & OD  in general can be made to move faster or slower with the sliding button to increase or decrease speed when mousing over, it's in the performance settings,there's also a setting for using more RAM if you have it to spare,however i only use 1 tabbed & 1 normal dock so i can't say what the performance would be like when multiple docks are on screen,but yeah maaaan go plus it's D'a bomb,life ain't worth liv'n without it  or cfx,wb,ip,rc aghhhhh hell just do what the rest of us do & become yearly subs share holders in all the goodie software, don't ask me why i'm preaching to the converted

Cavan1
Reply #10 Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:01 PM

Ages is over stating a bit, my tabbed dock takes about 8 to 10 seconds longer to load than my standard dock. Not including system tray items, the tabbed dock has 56 shortcuts and 1 weather docklet compared to 12 shortcuts on standard dock. Only makes sense to me that this will take a little longer to load.

messiah1
Reply #11 Friday, July 24, 2009 7:20 AM

It all depends on how many icons you have on there.  Remember, OD is out there trying to establish a link to each of those while loading.  If you've got 5, it's fast.  If you've got 50, well...

inc0gnito
Reply #12 Friday, July 24, 2009 4:45 PM

messiah1

I actually have 83 different items in my tabbed dock (incl systray tab). The problem is that OD tries to look for both the file to which the docklet is linked to and the image for that docklet. This slows the loading process by a lot. The reason I have a grudge is because I have a couple of apps that lauch minised when I fire up Windows and I have a dock that shows those apps, but until my tabbed dock has fully loaded I can't get access to those apps.

Why not have it so first the tabs of a tabbed dock are loaded and then populated with docklets? In a way, that's what happens with the weather feed docklets. First, there's a blank icon and then, when it gets the weather info, it shows the appropriate image.

P.S. I remember, most likely in this forum, reading a user saying that he specifically doesn't have OD loading at start-up because it adds a considerable amount of time to the loading process. All in all, it can be quicker and running on a Core2Quad with 4GB RAM and loading off a 10k WD Raptor it definitely should be.

Cavan1
Reply #13 Friday, July 24, 2009 5:04 PM

This slows the loading process by a lot.

How much is a lot. including sys tray my tabbed dock has 73 items, on my 2.4 gig Celeron 1 gig 333 ram that only runs at 266 due to the Celeron, it only takes 8 to 10 seconds longer for it to load than the standard dock.

inc0gnito
Reply #14 Friday, July 24, 2009 8:05 PM

Cavan1

Well I didn't time it with a stopwatch, but next time I shall. For the sake of comparison, Photoshop CS4 Extended starts up in 5 seconds and we're talking about a software package of several hundred MBs and uses 2.5 times as much memory as OD. 8-10 seconds extra is a lot, especially when you're aiming to be up and running ASAP.

Cavan1
Reply #15 Friday, July 24, 2009 8:46 PM

running on a Core2Quad with 4GB RAM and loading off a 10k WD Raptor

Without knowing what CPU, your system should be at least 10 times if not more like 15 - 20 times faster than mine, so 8 - 10 seconds would be 1 - 2 for you.?

inc0gnito
Reply #16 Friday, July 24, 2009 10:12 PM

Cavan1

Except it's not. Admittedly, it does take longer if OD is set to run during booting, but the delay is still noticeable if started cold.

Mirsguy
Reply #17 Saturday, July 25, 2009 12:27 AM

Except it's not.

Besides hijacking this thread, you have also established the fact in this and other threads that you hate ObjectDock. We get it. Now let it go. Thanks.

inc0gnito
Reply #18 Saturday, July 25, 2009 2:22 AM

Mirsguy

I don't hate OD, I love it. But it can be better. If you and messiah1 have put two arguments in favour of OD, why is not fair for me to somewhat balance the scales by saying that there is a performance issue with tabbed docks. After I sait that there's an issue the thread got carried away, I'm not the only one who added fuel to the fire.

Mirsguy
Reply #19 Saturday, July 25, 2009 9:35 AM

Every program can be tweaked and improved.

I don't have issues with OD+. My wait time is very minimal, and I tend to have a lot of shortcuts on my tabbed dock. I am not saying you don't have issues or that your arguments are invalid; I'm just saying that not everyone experiences the same problems you do. It appeared as if you were saying that your problems were the OD+ standard.

All in all, OD+ is an awesome program, and it will only get better in 2.0!

inc0gnito
Reply #20 Saturday, July 25, 2009 10:46 AM

FYI, I just rebooted and it took 14.8 seconds from when the first normal dock appeared to when the tabbed dock appeared. Clearly, that's not normal. If a member of the support team wishes to take this issue further with me they can PM me here.