Trillian Astra goes public

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 by ShelbyGT_The_Car | Discussion: WinCustomize Talk

Cerulean Studios' newest instant messaging application Trillian Astra is closing in fast but while work is still being done on it, a public beta version has been delivered and is awaiting testing. After being years in the making, Trillian Astra can brag with featuring hundreds of featuring including support for AIM, ICQ, Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger, Jabber/XMPP, Google Talk, MySpaceIM, IRC, Skype, Twitter, and Facebook, stylish themes and skins, tabbed text and video chats, animated widgets, and more.

Those interested in what Trillian Astra can really do can download the 109 build for Windows XP, Vista and 7 from this page.

ZubaZ
Reply #1 Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:40 AM

Have you used Pidgin?  How does this compare?

PoSmedley
Reply #2 Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:04 AM

I like my Meebo and the Meebone desktop app.

G3mpi3
Reply #3 Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:36 AM

I use digsby as an aim client because it is really easy to skin. However, I have really been looking forward to trillian astra because i've seen some great skins for that too.

ZubaZ
Reply #4 Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:41 AM

PoSmedley
I like my Meebo and the Meebone desktop app.
I like Meebo too but last I checked they didn't support IRC and that's a deal-killer for me.

ShelbyGT_The_Car
Reply #5 Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:20 PM

Only reason I will not use pidgin is it is a security risk at work and not allowed. Astra is allowed and so is another irc I have for my pda. All others are blocked to include MSN live messenger! I got everything I need with astra - oh ya plus I've gotten a redesign or Modified version for my Iron Key and it works very well even at work in the domain. Usually I so busy it is hard for me to find time to use it for like Stardock irc and as such. But we have our own little group of employees that use irc with celphones and pda. Thus we can find each other without a phone call. I like astra!

RomanDA
Reply #6 Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:32 PM

Been using Astra for about a year or more (alpha and up).  If you use multiple services it works very well.  Not pleased with the facebook chatting (it dont work).  But IRC/AIM/MSN/GOOGLE CHAT all work seemlessly in 1 list of names.   I like it.  But try it out and see.

The__Goo
Reply #7 Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:40 AM

The most anticipated application on the web, this thing has been alpha for years...  lol..

I have been using pidgin for many years because the old trill skins sucked and never matched my windowblind scheme so i went to pidgin because of it, I am going to give it a shot and see what the hold up was for sooooo long.  with pidgin i was able to connect to all my chats including FB and Myspace, it seems that Astra has this too...

Nimbin
Reply #8 Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:51 AM

same thing here, i am a licenced owner of trillian pro 3 and was invited to participate in the astra tests from the very start. Astra is a very very good application and all the different plugin work flawlessly.

RomanDA
Reply #9 Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:23 AM

visually Astra is very nice, the notifications are great too..

PoSmedley
Reply #10 Thursday, July 16, 2009 5:38 PM

Okay . I gave it a shot. As I was having problems with webcam in Digsby and Meebo. Here's my take.

It's sleek. Nice lay out. The add-ons seem to work a lot better than they do in Digsby. (Twitter, etc)

But alas...webcam is good only if your contacts have Yahoo Messenger or Trillian. And I have to say..I am quite confused about what you get with the Pro-version. Finally..it took me a long time to find the webcam button at all and it is severely lacking in 'Help', tutorials, etc.

I'll hang onto it for now as I have become more of a user of IM than I have ever been in the past. Hopefully, the updates for this will sove a lot of these minor issues.

*it would be nice, though I don't know if possible, if they make this skinnable in the final version. There's a lot to play with.

vStyler
Reply #11 Thursday, July 16, 2009 5:45 PM

MSN ftw.... Trillian emotes are weak... weak i say!!

PoSmedley
Reply #12 Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:53 PM

I ended up having to install Live Messenger. I can't even begin to tell you what a bad taste that left in my mouth. I have never cared much for messenger and it's continued efforts to be so invasive upon my system. And I won't even get started on all the m@therf$@&ing advertisements. You would think they could afford to leave that crap out and just make a clean app. As soon as I can work out the video bugs with Digsby, Live Messenger is gone, gone, gone.

I would love to see the folks at Mozilla come out with a messenger service.

RedneckDude
Reply #13 Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:23 PM

I wish someone would help me get IRC working in Trillian so I can access stardock IRC from there.

ShelbyGT_The_Car
Reply #14 Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:12 PM

Here you go Red Neck...

and channel settings are here... click the settings button to see this and much more...

RedneckDude
Reply #15 Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:55 PM

Thanks, Dude!!!!

vStyler
Reply #16 Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:07 PM

www.apatch.org oughta fix u right up there buddy    I would also suggest installing 8.5 from microsoft.. much better than the recent pile of crap they released.

ArileenDesign
Reply #17 Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:30 PM

Will give a try

The__Goo
Reply #18 Friday, July 17, 2009 12:09 AM

Pidgin is the cleanest and best multi-protocal IM application.  You can get it here

Pidgin, the universal chat client

find plugins to customize

PoSmedley
Reply #19 Friday, July 17, 2009 4:24 PM

Pidgin is the cleanest and best multi-protocal IM application.

No webcam support.

I would also suggest installing 8.5 from microsoft.

It is what it is, I'll play with htis until one of the others established better webcam support. Meebo and DIgsby are okay, but the other person has to open a webpage cause the they go thru tokbox. I can't belive no one has come up with something that is all in one like MS. Thanks for the patch link. I'll check it out.

StaindOneal
Reply #20 Friday, July 17, 2009 4:34 PM

Trillian in itself is Awesome it combines them all and the type of work i am in it is nice to have because i can keep up with all my clients be it they have Aim Msn Yahoo.i love it.i Suggest looking into it HIGHLY.