WB Crashes When I attempt to Recolor Skins

Help

Friday, April 24, 2009 by DrJBHL | Discussion: WindowBlinds

When I attempt to recolor skins....any skin....the HSL part of the WB Config shows double images and then becomes nonfunctional. In all truth, I've noticed this for a couple of months but figured this would straighten itself out on update...but it hasn't.

Ive followed I.D.'s instructions in the external link to the letter, but it's a "no go".

Any ideas?

WindowBlinds version : WindowBlinds 6.4 (build 123 x86 - Vista Edition)

WindowBlinds is installed correctly on this PC

WindowBlinds appears to be activated on this PC

(Generic PnP Monitor) 1 is attached to NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Wblind.dll     2009/02/10 15:37:20

Wbsrv.dll     2009/02/10 18:27:44

Wbconfig.exe     2009/02/10 18:28:20

Wbload.exe     2008/04/28 12:35:14

Wbhelp.dll     2008/04/28 12:35:07

Tray.dll           2008/04/28 12:35:21

Wbload.dll           2008/12/15 16:07:26

Screen.exe     2008/07/22 11:10:09

MadDeez
Reply #1 Friday, April 24, 2009 10:37 AM

yay!!! it's not just me!!!

Wizard1956
Reply #2 Friday, April 24, 2009 10:41 AM

Doc and iwas,please try this:

Open Impulse and go to the Desktop tab. Right click on WindowBlinds and select "Verify Installation" If it says it is installed incorrectly,it will say an update is available.

To update:First select another app (Impulse bug) then return to the WindowBlinds update and install it. Reboot, then try it out to see if that fixes it.

Reply #3 Friday, April 24, 2009 10:42 AM

Whew! Thought I had vermin in my 'puter....I understand how you feel, iwas, but the cheering?

I do hope someone can help with this...

Reply #4 Friday, April 24, 2009 10:59 AM

Did what you suggested, Wiz and it did a "minor update" (19.71 mb) and the problem...persists, sorry to say. OT...if there are updates, why don't they update...isn't that what the little guy in the systray does?

*edit: Retried and still has the original crash. Opened a ticket @stardock support.

Wizard1956
Reply #5 Friday, April 24, 2009 11:19 AM

Impulse Now will show new updates. The update you just ran was actually re-applying the last update,a "repair" update, so to speak.

Reply #6 Friday, April 24, 2009 11:22 AM

*sigh...wish it did. Karma for the try, old friend.

Lantec
Reply #7 Friday, April 24, 2009 11:35 AM

Uninstall Windowblinds > reboot > turn off any anti-virus or anti-spyware > open Impulse > install Windowblinds > reboot > make sure to re-enable any anti-virus or anti-spyware

Reply #8 Friday, April 24, 2009 12:22 PM

Tried what you suggested, but it still has the same crash.

highlander
Reply #9 Friday, April 24, 2009 12:26 PM

Did you include your dxdiag as well as the WB info when you e-mailed us? If not, it would help.

Did this just start happening? where you able to recolor before?

Reply #10 Friday, April 24, 2009 12:29 PM

1. No...I didn't. I'll send it to amend that message...or just post here.

2. I did, once or twice, but not recently because of the crash.

3. Where's the dxdiag?

DISREGARD.....sent the dxdiag in the email to you! Thx highlander!

DjiRate
Reply #11 Friday, April 24, 2009 1:00 PM

i have had the same issues and also when i apply a skin it sometimes crashes and says unexpected error then proceeds to send out info on the crash...etc......i have very latest updated version too

Reply #12 Friday, April 24, 2009 1:10 PM

jojo25...I suspect your issue might be different. Send the info along with the dxdiag to support@stardock.com

yrag
Reply #13 Friday, April 24, 2009 3:45 PM

I'm one of those pesky detail people........

What is the error??

Reply #14 Friday, April 24, 2009 4:59 PM

When I tried to recolor the skin WB froze and gave double images as in the screenshot. Then Tried to update wb thru impulse. sent in dxdiag and learned a couple of patches didn't want to install via impulse. was advised to use the zapper and did then reinstalled wb.

still can't recolorize skins.

lost the vista desktop (taskbar/orb). tried to switch to it via mycolors and failed (got the classic theme) and when i tried via wb, the app closed and went to classic. all my other skins work.

thanks for pitching in, yrag.

Lantec
Reply #15 Friday, April 24, 2009 5:11 PM

are you turning off Windows Defender Doc?

sounds like the same kind of problem I was getting when I left defender on while updating.

Reply #16 Friday, April 24, 2009 5:14 PM

Yes, Lantec....that and avast and adaware.

Reply #17 Friday, April 24, 2009 5:27 PM

Also...why isn't MyColors giving me back my Vista desktop?

yrag
Reply #18 Friday, April 24, 2009 6:20 PM

lost the vista desktop (taskbar/orb)

Explorer crashed.....look in Event Viewer. What does the error say?

Reply #19 Friday, April 24, 2009 6:54 PM

No....sorry. WB config crashed.

The Windows Desktop Manager has exited  with code 0xc00002fe

ShelbyGT_The_Car
Reply #20 Friday, April 24, 2009 7:20 PM

Also...why isn't MyColors giving me back my Vista desktop?

Doc open task manager and process's - then find explorer.exe end the process - then on the applications tab go new task and type in explorer.exe and say ok to that. Then go to personalize and windows color and apperance choose the classic and then choose the windows aero. If you get a blank screen of either - then make sure wb config it is set to the the windows aero theme and apply. Logoff and back in again and go back to personlize where we first started at and apply aero from there again. It should show up now. Then after that try your Mycolors theme again and it should work fine.

0xC00002FE  A system shutdown is in progress.  STATUS_SHUTDOWN_IN_PROGRESS

Is what that is saying there Doc.

Seems you have something running that should not be maybe?