Today’s Most Popular XP and Vista Themes

Friday, April 17, 2009 by Island Dog | Discussion: WinCustomize News

Going through some statistics this morning, I saw a nice mix of old and new skins that were popular today on WinCustomize.

Here’s a quick look.

1MrPaul1
Reply #1 Friday, April 17, 2009 10:48 AM

its funny, my new fork is a mix of all this skins.  plus some innovates. its not advertising , i'm just wondering with this fact.

mickeko
Reply #2 Friday, April 17, 2009 12:18 PM

1MrPaul1

Wow! Your fork is skinnable?

superman
Reply #3 Friday, April 17, 2009 1:05 PM

Wow! Your fork is skinnable?

What does fork mean here? Sorry I googled but couldn't understand perhaps my wisdom slipped.

1MrPaul1
Reply #4 Friday, April 17, 2009 1:10 PM
yes, my fork and spoon... everything skinnable:) skinner of interfaces, skinner in all!!!
WOM
Reply #5 Friday, April 17, 2009 2:08 PM

As a stat man I always look at stats but its amazing how they can be misleading.  I wonder how many people download something because they see tons of others doing it or its one of the authors they download from.  Then they apply the skin and don't like it and delete it from their machine.  To bad there isn't a way to go back and subtract your download so the stats are more accurate.

I generally read the comments on a skin to see if there is any trouble with it before I download it or not.

Wizard1956
Reply #6 Friday, April 17, 2009 3:33 PM

Then they apply the skin and don't like it and delete it from their machine

Good point,WOM. I wondered the same thing about updated skins. The original is deleted before downloading an updated skin. Won't that give two dl's to the count for only one user?

WOM
Reply #7 Friday, April 17, 2009 3:47 PM

Wizard, the count is advanced upon download so it a skin is updated, it retains the cound from the old skin and continues to advance for each download of the updated skin.  Hope ya understood that.

mickeko
Reply #8 Friday, April 17, 2009 4:04 PM

Implementing an optional feature that sends info to a data server on which skin is loaded by WB ishould be doable. Obviously optional and disabled by default...

RedneckDude
Reply #9 Saturday, April 18, 2009 12:33 AM
Good point,WOM. I wondered the same thing about updated skins. The original is deleted before downloading an updated skin. Won't that give two dl's to the count for only one user?
Short answer...yes. As far as stats and ratings go, I download a skin and try it out before rating, or commenting on it. Yes, some of them get deleted...but most do not. If I can assume the preview is anywhere close to the actual product, then I only download keepers to begin with, mostly. Some previews are deceiving.
1MrPaul1
Reply #10 Saturday, April 18, 2009 12:33 AM

look. two old skins its Windows7 and Broken Aero. so people download them till this time not because all download it, and counter display big numeral values. its just because most of all people love brands. Aero and Windows 7 good advertised names, If I call skin for example "YoKLMN" may be 2 or 3 cool guys will download it for fun, but nobody else. So if call skin with well known brand, 90% probability that skin will be good downloadable. But good downloadable skin not means good skin.

I'm for example not see how many times people download my BrokenAero skin, and big values of this don't make me happy. But I always like to read comments like "-My 2 friends install WindowBlinds only for using of this skin" or "Finally! I was waiting for this for so long." or "-This is definitely my new favorite skin". It's I think more important than stars or counter