I Want To Upload Here

Please fix my account....

Thursday, April 2, 2009 by PuterDudeJim | Discussion: WinCustomize Talk

This just plain isn't fair. You know, I read a lot of griping, whining, and such in these forums. I try not to get too involved with it. But I must say, I have a very legitimate gripe. I am trying to be patient, I try to be an asset to the community, I work hard to please people here. Yet I am forced to go upload at other sites because I can't upload here anymore. All because of a nickname change gone bad.

Now I realize that everyone is working on the new WC. And, I realize, all too clearly, that I am just one, insignificant person. But come on guys, this ain't rocket surgery! One brain at Stardock should be able to take an hour or so and fix my problem. How hard can it be to reverse the effects of a nickname change?

If you guys can program the stuff Stardock puts out, and totally redo Impulse, and WC. Why can't someone fix my problem? I don't mean any disrespect to anyone here, and I don't want to be exiled, but I must say that I truly believe no one is trying to fix it, or it would be fixed. I have waited over a year now, just for a fix for my dual sites problem. I think I have been very patient. How long do I have to wait for this round? Or do I have to create another site and have 3 sites, just so I can upload?

Come on guys, give me a break!!

Sc4rfy
Reply #1 Thursday, April 2, 2009 4:59 AM

We are with you Peter

MouseGoddess
Reply #2 Thursday, April 2, 2009 5:17 AM

SNAFUs are so frustrating, but hang in there and keep the faith, I'm sure they will get it fixed for you.

Wizard1956
Reply #3 Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:43 AM

The community is missing out on some really good stuff.

Can't someone look into this and put things back the way they were before PDJ changed his nick?

Please?

Island Dog
Reply #4 Thursday, April 2, 2009 10:05 AM

The right people have the issue, but with the huge network of sites and current issues already on the books, it takes time to get to it.

Wizard1956
Reply #5 Thursday, April 2, 2009 11:00 AM

Thank you for the reply,ID.

Hopefully all that's needed now is a little patience.

PuterDudeJim
Reply #6 Thursday, April 2, 2009 11:30 AM

Hopefully all that's needed now is a little patience.

I feel I have been very patient. Over a year of patience.

PuterDudeJim
Reply #7 Thursday, April 2, 2009 11:31 AM

I respect that Spencer, but as we all know, this problem is actually over a year old, how patient is one expected to be?

PuterDudeJim
Reply #8 Thursday, April 2, 2009 11:57 AM

I guess, what I am trying to say here is that the real problem is that my Dual sites problem was never fixed. That was a year ago. With that in mind, why should I think that this newer problem will be fixed, when the original one wasn't? I want to be good, I want to be patient, but i fear that as long as I sit here, like a good little boy, and say nothing, another year will pass and nothing has changed. I could start a new site (#3) and upload there, but that would probably just make things worse. What is irritating to me is that comments are made that clearly say to me that some people view this as a new problem, when really it is a year old. It's not a new problem, check the books, it's a year old problem. If the original problem had been fixed, this newer one wouldn't exist. Someone once told me that it wouldn't be fixed unless it happened along with something that benefitted Stardock.

ZubaZ
Reply #9 Thursday, April 2, 2009 7:37 PM

That's not the case.  But . .  you have a very unique problem that has been looked at any number of times of the past year and no good solution has been found.  The question on the Stardock side is how much time/money is appropriate to maybe resolve this.

The answer so far, is that we have spent more time than your subscription has paid for.    We want to get it fixed though.  We are working on it.  But we can't take a resource away from something that makes us money to something that doesn't.  In that sense, we'd rather fix your issue as part of something else.

You are not being ignored.  You don't need to make these posts to get attention in the hopes of a speedier resolution.

Way back when, when you wanted to change your nick from chubbyhubby to your current one on the fforums you were told that skin galleries didn't change with it.  You changed it anyway and had tthe site issue.  And then, knowing that your account was wonky, you tried to change it again  . . . apparently scrambling things more.

We can't wave a magic wand and we can't throw staff willy-nilly at this very small problem (as a % of everything that is Stardock).

We know you are there.  We know you have a problem.  We want to fix it.  We will.  But it may take more time.

Xiandi
Reply #10 Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:04 PM

Wouldnt a solution to this be:  Create a 3rd site for him, migrate all his stuff from both old ones over to it, delete the old sites. I realize that I dont know anything about the 'behind the scenes' stuff there, but things got migrated from the GUIC site to this one in no time. Would something be lost in doing it that way?

I'm thrilled that he chose The Skinning Suite to upload his work while he waits for a fix, but I also realize that he will get lots more exposure here. Quite frankly, I'm amazed by how patient he has been.

Jafo
Reply #11 Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:13 PM

Xiandi ...if only it were that simple.

The reality of a User - site - upload - database is that the site Admins can only change the status of an upload....essentially just as the uploader can.... but we can not alter its association [with a user account].  That is what would be called 'hard-coded' to each user.

One possibility is to delete [exile] all 3 existing accounts and create a fourth, new one.  Then re-upload everything to that.....but existing histories would be lost.

One quaint anomaly is the repetition of Account info...and emails used to login....only the userID numbers are different.

If it were easy it would have been fixed a year ago...

WeatherBound
Reply #12 Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:39 PM

It is a sad thing indeed. I must admit that i am spending more time on other sites too.

I love WC, But how many times does it take to upload a skin. It fails 10 times and then it decides to work. and thats besides how slow the site is running and know i don't even get my personal page comments any more.

So yes i have been going to other sites just because the grass is greener over on the other side. Even when WC 2009 comes out and fixes everything better. I will always visit my new friends on other sites.

Jim, I wish you luck!

It should not be about profit. it should be about satisfying the customers that are supporting the Site. And i fill WC has forgotten the basics of this.

I do hope when WC 2009 is out that your problems will be solved.

Xiandi
Reply #13 Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:43 PM

only the userID numbers are different.

Not trying to be a pest here, but can you edit the user ID or is that hard coded too? The reason I'm asking is that on TSS, we have user ID's as well. I tried to change the user ID on an uploaded file to a different one. It worked. It moved all the file...comments, downloads, everything over to the other user. Nothing was lost....just by changing the user ID.

voidcore
Reply #14 Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:56 PM

Uhmm.. ill borrow the thread... can anyone please check if my upload went thru? a WB named GhostShell...? tried the upload a couple of times but the rsults are.... eehmmm wierd..... pretty please ... is anything working as intended around here anymore??

ZubaZ
Reply #15 Thursday, April 2, 2009 9:14 PM

Xiandi

only the userID numbers are different.
In the  . . whatever many number of years since WC's inception the databases have become . . . complex.  It's no longer easy to do many things.  And because so much is reliant on so much else, the days of "let's see what this does" are largely over.

PuterDudeJim
Reply #16 Thursday, April 2, 2009 10:33 PM

One possibility is to delete [exile] all 3 existing accounts and create a fourth, new one. Then re-upload everything to that.....but existing histories would be lost.

Actually that don't sound too awful to me, as long as I keep my rank. Anything is better than not being able to upload. I have come to think download counts don't mean that much. I am currently in the process of downloading all my skins to my external HD. Upon doing that, it is my plan to reupload them all to whatever site yall end up giving me. I solemnly vow never to try to change nicks again....ever...lol.

PuterDudeJim
Reply #17 Thursday, April 2, 2009 10:38 PM

Just give me time to download my stuff.

ZubaZ
Reply #18 Thursday, April 2, 2009 10:57 PM

PuterDudeJim
Reply #19 Thursday, April 2, 2009 11:26 PM

I solemnly vow never to try to change nicks again....ever...lol.

However, If I do have to start over again, fresh, I want the nick to be PDJ.  Please.

I assume that the powers that be around here would remember my history and acknowledge that I have done what I have done, and am an asset to the community, and not a noob!!

ZubaZ