Start Panel Mouseover not working. Please Help!

Saturday, March 21, 2009 by Luceid7 | Discussion: Object Desktop

Hello,

I have a few questions, I hope someone is willing to help. This is on a Vista computer. I have lastest versions of SKS and WB.

1.I should be able to have a different font colors on mouseover and regular. However, I cant seem to get the left panel (programs) and the right panel (places) to simultaneously work.

I want to have red font (regular) and black font (mouseover) but for one to work correctly the other has to be on OS default which isnt what I want.

2.If I select the mouseover tab in SKS, and set its regular text to red and mouseover text to black, it will then work on the panel that shows up when you press all programs but not anywhere else.

3.The mouseover isnt working correctly on said all programs button. It shows up blue instead of red.

4.Finally the mouseover is invading the right side of the boarder of the places panel, but not the programs panel.

If someone could help that would be AMAZING. I'll email my skin and pictures of the problem if anyone needs it.

Thanks,

-Patrick

vStyler
Reply #1 Saturday, March 21, 2009 5:11 PM

When using left and right mousover images the text color remains the same on mouseover. I believe the mouseover text color only works when using a single mouseover image for both.

The all programs text mousover color is specified by selected item text in system defined colors.

You need to use the text margins for places panel to stop it from 'invading' where you don't want it to.

gmc2
Reply #2 Saturday, March 21, 2009 5:42 PM

hope this may help.

1. not much help here with that one. I generally leave a set color and use my mouse over for effect.

2. same as 1.

3."all program" area shows the default blue highlighted item color, the "mouseover" graphic has no affect in the area. It is easier to change the color in the "change skin color" area under "selected item" (look at the pull down menu for selecting system colors). It is possible to make "more programs arrow" graphic usable for some by impact by making it the same size as your "more programs background. This requires some work with the graphic and text settings. I have two blinds that I used this on "altuna" and "pinstripe". AND if there is any start menu transparency the highlight color will show through to some degree.

4. adjust your text setting for the right hand side of the places panel, this should align it for you

good luck, oh and I'm not seeing an image in your post (could just be me and my settings???)

Luceid7
Reply #3 Saturday, March 21, 2009 6:30 PM

Here are the pics. I've been able to solve the invasion problem in the places panel, but not in the extra panel in the right. SKS previews said panel as dsplaying correctly but its obviously not working in windows.

Also, I believe I am using the same image for both. How can I tell if I am not. I do want the same mouseover color and same mouseover image, but it doesn't seem to work. Any extra thoughts.

Also, thanks for the help on #3, That's completely solved now.

-Patrick

vStyler
Reply #4 Saturday, March 21, 2009 6:44 PM

SKS previews said

Always apply to see results, previews can be wrong in SKS.

Also, I believe I am using the same image for both

Luceid7
Reply #5 Saturday, March 21, 2009 7:29 PM

OK maybe I'm not understanding very well. I've tried a few solutions.

"I believe the mouseover text color only works when using a single mouseover image for both."

The first was that on default the item mouseover has two images, the normal mouseover and a seemingly useless transparent one. I deleted the transparent one and reduced image count to one and that had no effect on the problem. So I'm not sure I understood the above quote correctly.

"There are two sections (vista only) for "item mouseover" and another for 'right'. If you use them both then the mouseover text color will be the same as default color."

This part still confuses me as well. DOes that mean there are 4 sections total that you are refering to? Where are they?

I don't mind not using the item mouseover section to apply mouseover settings. I just want to make it so places list and programs list panels both have red font initially, and black font when moused over. When I apply the above settings on both of them (with actually mouse over settings on default OS) I get this: Programs working correctly, places malfunctioning, showing red font when moused over:

working:

and not working:

So I guess short question is this: is it possible to get the right to do the same thnig as the left and how? Sorry if you've already answered and I just didn't get it but I'm still a bit new to this as you can tell! This is my first skin. Hopefully I'll be able to release it when I'm done.

Thanks,

-Patrick

vStyler
Reply #6 Saturday, March 21, 2009 8:40 PM

[URL=http://img8.imageshack.us/my.php?image=64247373.jpg][/URL]

vStyler
Reply #7 Saturday, March 21, 2009 8:42 PM

if u use an image in BOTH side sections... the mousover text remains the same as normal text color. I believe if you only use the first one, (item mouseover) it will let u change the mouseover text color for both sides in one section.

I believe.

Luceid7
Reply #8 Sunday, March 22, 2009 12:55 AM

I think we may have found the problem. My file tree doesn't look like yours, I'm missing the right mouseover command. Are you running a pre-release or something? I'm running 6.40.024. Let me know if this makes a difference and how I can get the latest version. So far I've just been letting Impulse update it but if there's a better way let me know.

Thanks,

-Patrick

vStyler
Reply #9 Sunday, March 22, 2009 3:03 PM

Do u have the Pro version?  regardless.. skinning both sides will not let u choose a mousover color.. both normal and mousover colors will be the same.

Post your skin on www.sendspace.com and leave a link, I or someone else will have a look at it.

Luceid7
Reply #10 Sunday, March 22, 2009 3:59 PM

Yes I have the pro version. I bought Object Desktop recently. Any thoughts on the tech tree difference?

Here's the link to my skin. I left everything on OS default so it would be easier for you to see edit from scratch, but ideally I would like to have the normal color be "Itachi red" and the mouseover color to be "color 0" black.

link

Thank you so much for helping me out! I've made some more cool additions since you saw it.

-Patrick

vStyler
Reply #11 Sunday, March 22, 2009 5:32 PM

Patrick, ive looked at it, tried every config I can think of.. just isnt working.  Perhaps someone else can have a look makes no sense to me, the mouseover color is working on left.. but not on right.

Luceid7
Reply #12 Sunday, March 22, 2009 5:43 PM

Thanks for your help anyway. Perhaps it's a bug? If so I guess we should report it so it can get fixed.

In the mean time I'll switch some colors around so it won't look terrible without a mouseover.  And if anyone else on the forum can figure it out then please let me know, I'll still check the thread periodically.

-Patrick

vStyler
Reply #13 Sunday, March 22, 2009 5:53 PM

U could change your mouseover image to a red rectangle.

Anyway, ive had some issues with it after a recent update.. not sure what the issue is.

vStyler
Reply #14 Monday, March 23, 2009 12:41 PM

Bumpo

Luceid7
Reply #15 Wednesday, March 25, 2009 11:58 AM

So there was a windowblinds update to 6.40.114 recently. I was hoping that would fix the problem but it doesn't.

Also, if anyone can help explain why my tech tree doesn't look like vStyler's that would be helpful. If there are no answers to be found on the forum, should I contact stardock support?

Also, if whoever left the referral could please clarify where I am supposed to look within that google search, that would be helpful. As far as I can see, it's just a search that brings up web design sites, which isn't helpful at all.

Also, BUMP.

Thanks,

-Patrick

gmc2
Reply #16 Thursday, March 26, 2009 9:24 PM

do you have the pro version? vstyler use some animation so I assume that he has the pro version. there are more options with the pro version which may not show up within the freebee.

Luceid7
Reply #17 Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:25 PM

Luceid7

So I see no reason why our versions should be different unless he's running some kind of pre-release.

-Patrick

2of3
Reply #18 Friday, March 27, 2009 5:39 AM

Open impulse to check if you see 3 different version of skinsudio listed. Skinstudio Standard, Skinstudio Professional (formerly skinstudio 5) and Skinstudio 6 professional. The last is the version vStyler is using.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that this is only true if you have bought the ObjectDesktop Ultimate subscription. Also make sure you have "show pre-release versions" checked in your preferences (blue Stardock orb on the top left).

Luceid7
Reply #19 Friday, March 27, 2009 11:13 AM

Thanks for the reply,

I only bought the object desktop bundle, not the ultimate bundle. According to Impulse, I'm running Skinstudio 6 Professional. That's the only version I see available, even if I click the "show hidden applications" checkbox. I'm running Version:6.40.024, latest update 2/17/2009. I have the "show pre-release versions" checkbox checked, but it doesn't show me anything new as far as I can tell.

This is frustrating

-Patrick

Mirsguy
Reply #20 Friday, March 27, 2009 11:36 AM

latest update 2/17/2009.

I think there is a more recent update. Try updating again through Impulse and see if that works.