Start Menu Open Help Thread

Help Thread

Thursday, January 29, 2009 by theAVMAN | Discussion: Skinning

The purpose for this thread is to help new skinners configure a Start Panel.There is an open standing invitaion for all skinners who want to help.I will show how to as much and as often as time alows so don,t be afraid to jump in and help or ask questions!

A/V

theAVMAN
Reply #1 Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:10 AM

I am going to use the BBK Start Menu to begin with I will show where to set margins to properly STRETCH we will deal with tiling later!

Now here it is in its 5 parts

Now with the margins in place for 2 sections

Remember anything inside the box created by the margins will be stretched!

theAVMAN
Reply #2 Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:15 AM

Now for some skin stdio settings

theAVMAN
Reply #3 Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:30 AM

theAVMAN
Reply #4 Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:36 AM

Shot of my actual margins

theAVMAN
Reply #5 Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:40 AM

I will try and get some more up tomorrow

vStyler
Reply #6 Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:45 AM

perhaps this should be moved to tutorials category

theAVMAN
Reply #7 Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:54 AM

perhaps this should be moved to tutorials category
Probably so Can I move it or do we have to get someone to move it?

BTW...Thanks again!

2of3
Reply #8 Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:21 PM

One thing I would add:

When designing a Vista start panel, make the left side wider than the right because the all programs list pops up in the start menu itself instead of a fly out like xp. Long names get chopped off if your left side is to narrow.

jazzymjr
Reply #9 Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:47 PM

For Vista:   Using a start menu that is 380 px wide, I make the left side panels 230 px (both the Programs and All Programs panels), and I make the right side panel 150 px wide (the Places panel).

For XP:  Using a start menu that is 380 px wide, I make both the left and right side panels 190 px wide.

For me, these sizes work well...no text gets clipped off, or gets split into 2 lines of text.

Hope this helps....

theAVMAN
Reply #10 Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:49 PM

One thing I would add:

For Vista: Using a start menu that is 380 px wide, I make the left side panels 230 px (both the Programs and All Programs panels), and I make the right side panel 150 px wide (the Places panel).

For XP: Using a start menu that is 380 px wide, I make both the left and right side panels 190 px wide.

Hope this helps....

Thank you for helping!

ilsabav92
Reply #11 Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:20 PM

Posting for future referance.

(nice thread by the way)

Vampothika
Reply #12 Thursday, January 29, 2009 6:14 PM

awsome thread harley....... alot of newbies would learn alot from this for sure..

ablebodied
Reply #13 Friday, January 30, 2009 8:46 AM

Dude, you dont know how helpful this is! Thank you so much for taking the time to put this together for so many of us that need it.

theAVMAN
Reply #14 Friday, January 30, 2009 8:52 AM

KittyMalone

Thanks Kitty

ablebodied

I am very glad it helped I will try and add more as I can.I see we are starting to get some help too!!!!

theAVMAN
Reply #15 Friday, October 21, 2011 2:21 PM

I updated all the image links for this tutorial . Hope it helps someone!!!

Reply #16 Friday, October 21, 2011 3:29 PM

You are a great bunch of people: Examples to all, and Master Skinners heart and soul.

You people are what it's all about. There must be decades of experience here in this one thread.

There should be a Master's Forum Sticky Thread in General Discussions>Skinning.

roflmfaoo
Reply #17 Saturday, October 22, 2011 12:35 AM

Hey, Thanks for the tut.

Hope to see more of these coming our way .

Regards, roflmfaoo