DesktopX Step-By-Step Tutorials #12

Stepping Thru States

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 by RomanDA | Discussion: DesktopX Tutorials

Step-by-Step Tutorials

#12 - Stepping Thru States

A series by RomanDA

Listing of other DX Tutorials: Click here

Today's Lesson: "Stepping Thru States" is a very simple way to setup multiple states with a button to change between them.

In this lesson we will cover how to create a simple object, then add multiple states to it, and add a simple button to "step" thru the states.

For this and all the Step-By-Step DX Tutorials you will need to purchase DesktopX for $14.95 from Stardock.

See previous tutorials for how to load DX & create a new object.

Lets get started.

STEP 1 - Create the first object "state"
With DX loaded and running, add a new object, goto the "STATES" tab and here we will assign the object a new image and then rename the state to "1"

Browse to the 1st background image you want to use, and select it.
Then use the steps below to rename the state to 1.

RIGHT-Click on the
"Mouse Away" in the States window.
Click "Rename" and name the state "1".

We will be adding more states in the next step, and each one will be another # .  IE: 2, 3, 4, 5.

STEP 2 - Create More States
Add a new STATE naming it "2" and assigning it to the next background image.

You would continue this for ALL the states you want to add.

In our case we will make the TOTAL 8 states.

Repeat - till you have all 8 states added.

"OK" it all when its done.

STEP 3 - Adding the code to step thru the states.

Edit the above object and click on "NEW  SCRIPT". We will be adding the following script.

Code: vbscript
  1. Dim MaxStates, CurrentState
  2. 'Called when the script is executed
  3. Sub Object_OnScriptEnter
  4. MaxStates = 2 '-- Set this to the max # of states
  5. '-- Pull Current State from object
  6. CurrentState = Object.PersistStorage("CurrentState")
  7. '-- check CurrentState to see if it had any value
  8. '-- if not set it to 1
  9. If len(CurrentState) = 0 Then
  10. CurrentState = 1
  11. Widget.AddPreference("CurrentState")
  12. Widget.Preference("CurrentState").defaultvalue = 1
  13. End If
  14. Call SetState() '-- See Function Below
  15. End Sub
  16. Function SetState()
  17. object.state = CurrentState
  18. End Function
  19. Sub Object_OnLButtonDown(x, y)
  20. CurrentState = CurrentState + 1
  21. If CurrentState > MaxStates Then CurrentState = 1
  22. Call SetState()
  23. Widget.Preference("CurrentState").value = CurrentState
  24. End Sub
  25. 'Called when the script is terminated
  26. Sub Object_OnScriptExit
  27. End Sub

You could also add multiple "state" changes to other objects as well (things like Clock hands, or color changes to text objects, etc.
CONCLUSION
There is a lot more you can do with this, but these are the basic steps to setting up the Stepping Object State Changer.

This works great for clocks, and lots of other items where you want to have multiple looks/colors/layouts.

Enjoy,RomanDA
AKA: David A. Roman
Tailsgirl
Reply #1 Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:47 PM

Thanks for this Roman, just one question, how do you toggle through the states? is there an option to toggle?

Edit.. I'm an idiot Roman, that WAS for the button doh! <---

RomanDA
Reply #2 Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:15 PM

yep.. the whole object is the button.

if you want to make a seperate button somewhere, just look at the code:

Code: vbscript
  1. Sub Object_OnLButtonDown(x, y)
  2.   CurrentState = CurrentState + 1
  3.   If CurrentState > MaxStates Then CurrentState = 1
  4.   Call SetState()
  5.   Widget.Preference("CurrentState").value = CurrentState
  6. End Sub

You would have to make some changes to this to make it work, but its not that hard.  If you download and look at my "Kewl-Klock" it had all of this code in it.

Tailsgirl
Reply #3 Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:26 PM

I've done it dear! just exporting it now, I'm still half asleep, that's my excuse , thanks again for this script, and for suggesting it to me hon, you rock

RomanDA
Reply #4 Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:08 AM

RomanDA feels the Karma

Tailsgirl
Reply #5 Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:06 PM

RomanDA must be related to HG, he also speaks in the third person

PuterDudeJim
Reply #6 Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:42 PM

Thanx David. BTW, How's that gadget coming? Or did I miss it's finish?

HG_Eliminator
Reply #7 Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:23 AM

RomanDA must be related to HG, he also speaks in the third person

HG_Eliminator thinks it must be a Dave thing.

Tailsgirl
Reply #8 Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:32 AM

Tailsgirl means it affectionately

sViz
Reply #9 Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:41 AM

Very nice!

RomanDA
Reply #10 Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:53 AM

How's that gadget coming?

RomanDA wonders What gadget?

RomanDA thinks others should think like he does.

RomanDA likes to use '/ me'

Tailsgirl
Reply #11 Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:01 AM

Tailsgirl is going to test /me out

Hey it works!! coolies

PuterDudeJim
Reply #12 Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:15 AM

RomanDA wonders What gadget?

Wincustomize Community Wall Gadget, of course!

RomanDA
Reply #13 Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:30 PM

oh,  Sorry.. no, it had a lot of issues with screen resolutions, and i just gave up at one point, it was just too time consuming to get working the way i wanted it to.  sorry.. I can send you whats done if you want.

The main issues were with the "desktop" icons not showing with it setup, and that sorta defets the purpose of a "wallpaper"

HG_Eliminator
Reply #14 Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:41 PM

Roman couldit be set it up with layered pages like Lcars? one full of the Links as proposed and a second with Desktop Icons available, alternatively switched back and forth with a control button.

PuterDudeJim
Reply #15 Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:05 PM

I can send you whats done if you want.
  Please do. I can't script like you do, but I can do a simple wall with the shortcuts and I may have to do several resolutions. I think it can be done with just DX, only not as slick as you were going for. Thanx for giving it a shot!  Jim

PuterDudeJim
Reply #16 Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:06 PM

Anything I could do would , of course, require that desktop icons be hidden.

PuterDudeJim
Reply #17 Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:08 PM

What I am proposing will not be a wallpaper, it will be a full screen gadget.

ZubaZ
Reply #18 Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:46 PM

What I am proposing will not be a wallpaper, it will be a full screen gadget.
My favorite DX desktop . . that was very gadget-y

Tailsgirl
Reply #19 Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:53 PM

PuterDudeJim

What I am proposing will not be a wallpaper, it will be a full screen gadget.

Crikey Jim, you're gonna need some horsepower to push something like that ..... or in my case, I'll need a LOT of extra mice to run in that wheel, that powers my CPU

RomanDA
Reply #20 Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:13 PM

I uploaded it here: https://www.wincustomize.com/skins.aspx?skinid=1503&libid=34

its a DXPACK (in a zip file), its also HUGE (size).  Its very complicated in the script, but if you want to take it apart, and try and make it work, its all yours.  I just have not had the time (desire) to make it work.  Maybe VAD could make it work, but i dont know its really a complext thing.

Sorry i never managed to get it 100%.