White Jaggies show around a comlex balck image?

I know it can be gotten rid off i just dont know how?

Sunday, December 21, 2008 by RobJK | Discussion: Skinning

This has to be fixable? This is what happens sometimes....mostly when i first push the start button. It looks fine and completely normal.

then after two seconds it looks like this.

I really hope that i can get some help with this because that looks really bad. It will usually look fine if my background isnt a dark color but ...IDK what to do to fix this?

NightTrainthedark
Reply #1 Sunday, December 21, 2008 7:05 PM

I am guessing you have the top panel of the start panel set for blurring as it looks like blurring is happening in the second picture but not the first. What I mean is I think it is taking that 2 seconds for the blur effect to kick in and then you see the result with the jaggies. Try setting the top image to be transparent and not blurred.

RobJK
Reply #2 Sunday, December 21, 2008 7:42 PM

I had it set for no semi transparency. Now it is set for semi transparency and it is still doing that? It definately want set on blur though? So if you have any other ideas i would love to hear them. thanks though. I wish that it worked! It is frustrating. I refuse to release the skin when it isnt up to par. It may have something to do with the colors because it will look fine on a lighter backgruond.

NightTrainthedark
Reply #3 Sunday, December 21, 2008 7:46 PM

it will look fine on a lighter backgruond.

Sounds like it is just the image then. Open the image in your image editor and add a black layer behind your image. If you see the jaggies, that's the problem.

RobJK
Reply #4 Sunday, December 21, 2008 10:22 PM

I did that and it is showing a little bit of white but most of the white is from but if that is the case then why would it not show sometimes and not show for the first few seconds?

RobJK
Reply #5 Sunday, December 21, 2008 10:23 PM

sorry most of the white is the skinning it dont show half as much in the gimp when i make the back layer balck

NightTrainthedark
Reply #6 Sunday, December 21, 2008 10:50 PM

Save your image and reimport it as a new image. Maybe the TGA file is bad.

RobJK
Reply #7 Sunday, December 21, 2008 11:00 PM

I have many times? I dont know what the problem is because when i frist started the skin ihad a different name for it. Then when i though of a new name for the skin i saved the skin as that name. When i noticed the old named one i applied it to see what it was, only to find out that it was the one. I noticed after i applied it that this problem i have been having wasnt an issue in the old one. So i though maybie it was the image so i found that image on my hd and imported it into this one that i am having the problem with. Still the newly named skin had that white? Then i though if i synched the setting of both the old nad the new it would shurely work....but it didnt? I must have missed something? I have no clue why this would happen. Of course i was only synching the setting for the starmenu top part....so could it be i missed something or maybie the setting that needed to be set was in another section or the start menu or somewhere else entirely?

Xiandi
Reply #8 Monday, December 22, 2008 12:51 AM

Here is a little trick you can try to see if it is your image or not.

Open the image in gimp. duplicate the layer several times, so you have several layers of the same thing, one on top of the other. I have found that when you do this, if your image has stray pixels, that will make them show better. (obviously you wont save the image that way, but it will show you any flaws)

It's best if you have a background layer that is magic pink or a really intense color, the stray pixels show up better against that.

RobJK
Reply #9 Monday, December 22, 2008 1:43 AM

that sort of worked but the problem isnt the stray pixels i dont think? You know when you try to make your own shadow on the start menu and the shadow just turns out white and it looks all messed up. That is what is happening. The pixles that are sort of transparent to help make the image more rounded are turning out white.

When I put the background for the image in gimp as all black it looks like this

looks perfectly fine. That is also the way it looks if in skin studio i set the color behing the preview as black. The white only shows when the skin is applied?

NightTrainthedark
Reply #10 Monday, December 22, 2008 4:54 AM

Email me the skin to me at craig at cdoman dot com.

Neil Banfield
Reply #11 Monday, December 22, 2008 6:05 AM

The issue will be having blur enabled on the startmenu (any part of the startmenu - check them all).

RobJK
Reply #12 Monday, December 22, 2008 3:34 PM

okay neil banfeild thanks for just throwing me a dirty rotten old bone buddy. that issue has already been adressed and the outcome was that blur wasnt the issue at all? But thanks anyways:) Night train i will do that. And thank you!

Neil Banfield
Reply #13 Monday, December 22, 2008 4:16 PM

A delay of a few seconds plus the turning white symptom points to blur being the issue on Vista.

RobJK
Reply #14 Monday, December 22, 2008 4:42 PM

oh okay but it isnt set on blur i have already adressed that it isnt on blur at all and i understand that you could think that but in the first reply if you want to scroll up and read Night train sugessts blur as being the issue and i looked it over to find it wasnt andi  replied that it wasnt. I was just joking with you. I promise i understand what you are saying. I wish it was the blur because that would make things much easier.

NightTrainthedark
Reply #15 Monday, December 22, 2008 5:42 PM

To be clear, Neil suggests you check all of your start panel images for the blur setting. Even the bottom bar set to blur will cause the problem.

RobJK
Reply #16 Tuesday, December 23, 2008 12:04 AM

oh okay but i did check everything and it is all set for semi tranparency. I apologise neil...

Neil Banfield
Reply #17 Tuesday, December 23, 2008 4:27 AM

You should also check the WB override features in case you have told WB to always blur the startmenu.