He wasn't expecting THAT!

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 by k10w3 | Discussion: Community

O.K., so the fan on my powerpack has been making nasty noises lately, and I really can't afford to be without my means of making money (my computer).  I didn't want to just wait until the thing ceased to function, because if it happened in the middle of a pay period and I was without access to funds, I would just be stuck until I got paid again, with no way to work (and make money).  So, I took my computer into "Badboys Computers" which is our local computer repair shop.

I've been in Badboys before, reluctantly, when I discovered "Cheap Guys Computers" went out of business.  The name of the place always confuses me, because I know BADBOYS and the guys working in that shop were no badboys (with their neat, freshly cut hair, and tidy polo shirts with the company logo on the breast, stamping them "officially sanitized for your protection" and those demeaning khaki's that anyone who has ever worked entry-level retail knows marks the person as a slave).  I think a more proper name for this shop would have been "nameless, shapeless, strip mall computers," from my previous experiences there, purchasing parts for my daughter's computer.

Since I'm not confident enough to "fix" my workhorse myself, I brought my computer in.  Squeaky-Clean-Computer-Employee-Guy-Steven asked me what I needed and when I told him my machine was making nasty fan noises, he said "OH.  One moment, I'll get a tech for you."     About 10 seconds later he comes out from the back WITH A BAD BOY! (OH!  They keep the badboys in the back!  The guys with the ponytails, the funky suede shirts, Levi's 501's, and the strangely long fingernails that to the uninitiated seem like something only for homeless men with no access to clippers, but having been around badboys in the past I know means "in case I get in a fight, this long thumbnail works well as an improvised knife to shank someone with.")  He took my machine in the back and came out about 15 minutes later to tell me, sadly, that because my computer is a Dell, their generic powerpacks don't fit, and either they would have to order one or I would have to call Dell and get one.  (This gets re-interpreted in my mind as "next stop--the pawn shop to see what they have in a replacement for your computer, because you don't have enough to cover a new Dell powerpack.")  So the guy goes into the back again, then comes out and says "Wait...I think I can make it work.  The screw holes match up, but the new power supply is smaller than the Dell, so you'll just have an open space in the back of the computer.  OK--make it so.

He puts the new one in and as I was paying for it up front with Squeaky-Clean-Computer-Employee-Guy-Steven, my husband is in the back with Badboy Keith, overseeing the closing up of my computer.  After it's all put back together nicely, Badboy Keith decides to plug'er in and make sure everything is running as it should be.  I suppose he was expecting Microsoft Luna, or Media Center Style Energy at the very flashiest when he booted my computer up, because my husband tells me he was seriously stunned, stood back and said "what-the-f" when the monitor started to boot up to "Winky at the Balloon Station" Birthday Suit(e) Bootskin XP, and then on to the full Birthday Suit(e) desktop, including all widgets and DesktopX features and CursorFX!  My husband had to tell him, "Oh yeah...tomorrow is her birthday and she has all this stuff loaded up for that."

ZubaZ
Reply #1 Tuesday, December 9, 2008 5:29 PM

because my husband tells me he was seriously stunned, stood back and said "what-the-f" when the monitor started to boot up to "Winky at the Balloon Station" Birthday Suit(e) Bootskin XP, and then on to the full Birthday Suit(e) desktop, including all widgets and DesktopX features and CursorFX! My husband had to tell him, "Oh yeah...tomorrow is her birthday and she has all this stuff loaded up for that.
(again) YAY!!!

NightTrainthedark
Reply #2 Tuesday, December 9, 2008 5:32 PM

Happy Birthday.

Wizard1956
Reply #3 Tuesday, December 9, 2008 5:38 PM

I know the feeling.While in SC I had my ISP send out techs to check out my connection.I forget what WB ,DX theme and OD I had on but I think it scared him half to death. I reluctantly re-applied aero and unloaded the rest so he would start breathing again.The next two times they came I made sure things were"normal" for them.

Edit:Btw,Happy Birthday

k10w3
Reply #4 Tuesday, December 9, 2008 5:41 PM

Thank you, Night Train for the birthday wishes, and Zubaz, thank YOU for organizing the Birthday Suit(e) even though you didn't include my screensaver in the suite, and you left me out as a contributor.

Reply #5 Tuesday, December 9, 2008 5:45 PM

Happy Birthday, Karen girl!!!! (my winky still has his labcoat on!)

From "The Bad Boys"

Vampothika
Reply #6 Tuesday, December 9, 2008 5:49 PM

omg did he have a goatee or facial hair of sorts?????????????.......im a sucker for bad boys..............*sighs*

I dated a badboy once....his hair was longer than mine, down to his ribs...(i luv guys with long hair..there is something SO 'rockgod' about it......)   but unfortunatley we were never meant to be.

yr story is sooo funny K............no wonder i luv you......(huggles)

Shadowdragoon
Reply #7 Tuesday, December 9, 2008 6:02 PM

Happy Birhtday,

ZubaZ
Reply #8 Tuesday, December 9, 2008 6:26 PM

Zubaz, thank YOU for organizing the Birthday Suit(e) even though you didn't include my screensaver in the suite, and you left me out as a contributor.
Hey now!  I tried to get hte saver in there!  It's a bug I tell you!

Happy birhtday in any case.  Many, many more!

k10w3
Reply #9 Tuesday, December 9, 2008 6:59 PM

KittyMalone

yr story is sooo funny K............no wonder i luv you......(huggles)

Kitty, I married my badboy.  Here he is on our honeymoon, (and if you're trying to read it, his T-shirt says "Get Naked?" on it)

DPCloud
Reply #10 Tuesday, December 9, 2008 7:05 PM

Happy Birthday!

HG_Eliminator
Reply #11 Wednesday, December 10, 2008 4:11 AM

Happy Birthday

wulfn1
Reply #12 Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:07 AM

I wish I lived in your town! I would trust those "badboys" over  any of the computer (cough choke cough) geeks we have aroundhere. They over charge and do little better than I could at home. that said,

Happy birthday!!

and I know whatcha mean about techs being shocked at the displays.

I have had numerous tech support guys convinced I had a vista computer and  I had to convince them no, it's just an ol xp! the Object Desktop suite really makes a computer shine.

warreni
Reply #13 Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:38 AM

I feel like I have to take a stand for the nerds here.

Even though I'm a government employee, I wear khaki slacks pretty much every day, I don't have long hair, and my facial hair is (usually) well-groomed. I wear glasses, I have a plush E. coli above my workstation, and I don't own a leather jacket. I've been using computers since I was about 8. I used TRS-80s and Apple IIs in school, I owned a Commodore 64 and then an Amiga, and when Commodore got out of the PC game (at least for a very long time), I finally had to switch to what we Amiga owners considered the "dark side," PC compatibles. I've used XTs, ATs, 286s, 386s, 486s, and original Pentiums (on the OS side, DOS 5, 6, and every version of Windows from 2.0 on [except ME]). I know enough about computers to fix most problems on my own, sometimes with a little research, a few software tools, or a new bit of hardware.

I'm a nerd, I can fix computers, and (for the record) my wife thinks I'm a good catch!

By the way, happy birthday, Karen!

k10w3
Reply #14 Wednesday, December 10, 2008 2:39 PM

warreni
I feel like I have to take a stand for the nerds here.

No need to do that.  I gave birth to three of them.  My oldest son just got engaged last week--he proposed to his future wife during a game of Dungeons and Dragons.  (He was the dungeon master, he had her kill a monster, than told her to check the body for treasure. When she said "O.K., I've searched the body for treasure, what do I find?" he got down on one knee and presented her with the ring).  Most romantic story ever!  I wouldn't need to be taking my computer to Badboys, if my own kid was closer, and the real nerds at  "Cheap Guys" were still around.

I'm sure you are!  Badboys aren't good catches...they're just....challenging.  Much like when I got my pitbull puppy, I have this passion for taking dangerous, wild beasts and keeping their stomachs full, their bed soft, and showing them a kinder side of the world and watching them transform into safe, happy, well adjusted tamed things.  It's personally rewarding to know there's one less threat to peace in the world because of me.

Thanks for wishing me a happy birthday.

warreni
Reply #15 Wednesday, December 10, 2008 4:45 PM

No need to do that. I gave birth to three of them. My oldest son just got engaged last week--he proposed to his future wife during a game of Dungeons and Dragons. (He was the dungeon master, he had her kill a monster, than told her to check the body for treasure. When she said "O.K., I've searched the body for treasure, what do I find?" he got down on one knee and presented her with the ring). Most romantic story ever! I wouldn't need to be taking my computer to Badboys, if my own kid was closer, and the real nerds at "Cheap Guys" were still around.

Wow--I'm pretty sure he out-geeked me! I take it she said "yes"?

Now I understand: you're a superhero!