The Elderly and Me

Thursday, December 4, 2008 by storm347 | Discussion: Community

What is it about me and the elderly?Iwent to my corner store this morning to get my coffee and newspaper.

I know the owner pretty well considering i have lived in the area since childhood .As we were chatting while i waited in comes an elderly gentleman.the owner and i spoke he paid us no mind just bumped me aside no excuse me or anything.he was in a hurry to play his pick 3 before 1:oo pm this afternoon.mind you i was not in the pick 3 line.

I don't get it i'm nice to the elderly i help carry bags,open doors am always polite.Or mabey i just look like an easy target.

I am beginning to think the elderly are not good for my health hmm.  or i just got to close to the pickit machine mustn't stop anyone from getting rich

Tailsgirl
Reply #1 Thursday, December 4, 2008 8:19 PM

My Nanna was a lottery freak, as sweet, polite and proud and almost PRUDISH as she was, she'd bust through 6 inches of lead to get at the front before anyone else, so don't take it personally lol

storm347
Reply #2 Thursday, December 4, 2008 8:20 PM

i hear you now i know i'd better move a lot quicker

pjdark
Reply #3 Thursday, December 4, 2008 8:29 PM

Yeah, some elderly can be pretty rude. Still though, no excuse to not say excuse me. It's just a courtesy. I usually get targeted by little kids calling me butthead or poop face or something. Can't catch those little buggers, but the elderly well.......... i can at least catch them. haha. Maybe it's was just one of those days.

Jafo
Reply #4 Thursday, December 4, 2008 8:42 PM

Jafo worries/wonders what constitutes as 'elderly'....

...we all get there [if we don't vie for the Darwin Awards, that is]...

storm347
Reply #5 Thursday, December 4, 2008 9:30 PM

oh about 70 ish

looked in better shape than myself

storm347
Reply #6 Thursday, December 4, 2008 9:31 PM

lol i seem to get a lot of those days

Tailsgirl
Reply #7 Thursday, December 4, 2008 9:46 PM

I guess after 70 + years on this earth, they've earned the right to be a little abrupt

storm347
Reply #8 Thursday, December 4, 2008 9:50 PM

thats true

but i hope the next one isn't me

Tailsgirl
Reply #9 Thursday, December 4, 2008 9:58 PM

I know this old guy who lives a few blocks away, and he calls me everyday, and not once in 6 years, has he said goodbye... the other day I actually asked him why he couldn't say goodbye on the phone, and he hung up

Good ol' Joe

storm347
Reply #10 Thursday, December 4, 2008 10:04 PM

thats sweet he probely just can't

some people are like that my sister always

says see you later

Tailsgirl
Reply #11 Thursday, December 4, 2008 10:06 PM

LMAO he's the rudest most abrupt bastard I've ever met actually, but I like him hehe

k10w3
Reply #12 Thursday, December 4, 2008 10:07 PM

Maybe the dude had hearing problems and due to the fact that he can't hear well, didn't figure he needed to speak and you'd get the idea if he just pushed you out of his way.  Or maybe he had some dementia issues (Alzheimer type things) and that makes some patients afflicted with that kind of rude and impatient.

I disagree that anyone has earned the right to be abrupt.  Ill manners is something that someone may have an excuse for, but never a right to.

Where I live, I see all kinds of people, elderly and young, rude and polite.  I try to be kind and courteous to everyone I come into contact with, and usually I've discovered that I can change someone with a foul mood into a more patient person by responding kindly to them...others are just going to be impatient for whatever reason they have.  This didn't use to work when I was younger though.  I think you have to be "mature" for the nice-routine to work on older people.

Reply #13 Thursday, December 4, 2008 10:16 PM

Darwin Award...LOL. Yeah, all those sweet grandparent types....warms the cockles of your heart. I know what Starkers and I will be like in old age (about 30 min. from now):

My pity lies with the elderly who can't get around as well as they could in the past:

Tailsgirl
Reply #14 Thursday, December 4, 2008 10:17 PM

True.. I kinda meant, that they've lived long enough to get away with the little thing's.. I didn't mean full-on disrespectful of others, hehe speaking of.. Joe, the old guy,  just walked into my house [he does this often] and started yelling at me, because my son hasn't cleaned his room.. weird.. he drove here for that   I could've saved him the effort, my son Phil will NEVER clean his room hehe

storm347
Reply #15 Thursday, December 4, 2008 10:23 PM

Maybe the dude had hearing problems and due to the fact that he can't hear well, didn't figure he needed to speak and you'd get the idea if he just pushed you out of his way. Or maybe he had some dementia issues (Alzheimer type things) and that makes some patients afflicted with that kind of rude and impatient.

I disagree that anyone has earned the right to be abrupt. Ill manners is something that someone may have an excuse for, but never a right to.

Where I live, I see all kinds of people, elderly and young, rude and polite. I try to be kind and courteous to everyone I come into contact with, and usually I've discovered that I can change someone with a foul mood into a more patient person by responding kindly to them...others are just going to be impatient for whatever reason they have. This didn't use to work when I was younger though. I think you have to be "mature" for the nice-routine to work on older people.

of course no one should be rude because of age

it happened to me before in the supermarket little old lady almost ran me down with her cart.

i just prefer to see the humor in my situation it just

seems to follow me around it was meant in fun at myself

Reply #16 Thursday, December 4, 2008 10:24 PM

Joe the old guy is beginning to get "squirrely" eh?

storm347
Reply #17 Thursday, December 4, 2008 10:24 PM

times up are you guys there yet

Reply #18 Thursday, December 4, 2008 10:31 PM

They are following you storm. You are a victim of the elderly conspiracy.

You ought to try living in Florida. G-d's waiting room.

My late wife and I back in 1988 went looking for an apartment there. We saw a pretty building. We went into the renting office and were asked, "Are those two children yours?" (like, you can rent them?...like they were a differnt species) We said yes...and were told "This is an Adult Community". I looked at the woman and said...this is a single building. Where I come from a building isn't a "Community".

She hastened to explain that no children were allowed in the building except to visit.

I remnarked how nice it was that they now have special buildings for infertile people.

Honestly...storm it would be funny if the tyrrany of the elderly weren't a real and costly thing.

Reply #19 Thursday, December 4, 2008 10:32 PM

times up are you guys there yet

I just bumped into someone...was it you?

Tailsgirl
Reply #20 Thursday, December 4, 2008 10:34 PM

hehehe, I remember my great uncle.. he was a real bastard, when I was a little kid at his house, I was forced to watch his slides from his world trip, and all I did was ask him where the bathroom was, and he went off his head..

Well.. I've since been to the toilet, and he's dead..