Google Chrome and ObjectDock Plus

Chrome doesn't run from the Dock

Sunday, November 30, 2008 by shortyhawaii | Discussion: ObjectDock

I am running Vista x64 Ultimate. I am using ObjectDock Plus and after I drag Google Chrome to the dock, and click to open the program, I get the following Application Error: "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click OK to terminate the application." I was using the standard ObjectDock (not Plus) before and was able to open Chrome from within the dock without any problems. Anybody having the same problems and if it's working fine for you, any known solutions?

shortyhawaii
Reply #1 Wednesday, December 3, 2008 12:21 AM

Bump

JMB1984
Reply #2 Wednesday, December 3, 2008 5:13 PM

Hi shorty,

A few things you might want to try, see if any work:

(1) Disable UAC, or at least ensure that ObjectDock isn't being launched with admin privledges (not sure if this is involved, but just looking after the possbility).

(2) Exit ObjectDock and launch it from Explorer's run dialog directly. The path for ObjectDock might be something like "%programfiles(x86)%\Stardock\ObjectDock\ObjectDock.exe".  (This will potentially have an effect ObjectDock's working-directory, v.s. running via link)

(2) Try creating/using a shortcut by dragging and dropping the chrome shortcut from your start menu (probably already did this)

(3) Try creating/using a shortcut manually in ObjectDock via right clicking. Then, put in the shortcut location manually. For me, that location is "%localappdata%\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"... that likely works for you as well

(4) Head to ObjectDock's settings dialog. In the "General" area choose "Miscellaneous Options". From there, uncheck "When a shortcut is added to a dock, point to the target not the shortcut". Then, again drag in a shortcut to chrome from your quicklaunch or start menu. The link in ObjectDock should now point the link file itself and not to chrome.exe. See if that shortcut works. (Try this in combo with #1 / #2)

Let me know how it goes, thanks

shortyhawaii
Reply #3 Thursday, December 4, 2008 5:37 PM

JMB1984

Thanks a ton for the effort! I tried everything you suggested, no go. UAC was already disabled and I made sure it's not running as Adminstrator. Tried opening it from Exlporer and new task from task manager. I've also tried entering the shortcut and program manually and by dragging after unchecking "When a shortcut is added to a dock, point to the target not the shortcut." I was certain that would fix the problem, but it still doesn't like to open Chrome. There are a few other programs that I dragged from the start menu that are giving me the same problems. I thought it was an issue from draggin from start menu at first, but after adding manually and adding from different locations, such as main application directory and start menu folder, I realized it had nothing to do with that. Not really sure what to do from here. But I am grateful for the help!

gaussflayer
Reply #4 Tuesday, December 30, 2008 7:00 AM

you made sure its not running as administrator? thats the first time ive heard that fix!

Try installing .NET

and you may want to check you have service pack one for vista as it fixes many of the issues that really do bug us. Hope it helps

chaos mag3
Reply #5 Monday, October 26, 2009 6:25 PM

i had this same problem only on windows 7, it was fixed by setting it to vista sp2 in compatibility mode, you might want to try setting it to an earlier version of windows and try then.

zakai1369
Reply #6 Monday, October 26, 2009 7:16 PM

pstt.... chaos mag3...hopefully he sorted it out by now that last post was almost a year ago

but at least now your comments their to help others who may need it .

TheQuikOne
Reply #7 Monday, September 6, 2010 2:16 PM

I know this post is old, but I've just found out something very useful, may help out a lot of people.

Ever noticed that when you launch Word or Excel etc from Objectdock the aero glass effect doesn't display, but if you launch the same application from the start menu it does?

The problem is not the target app's compatibility mode, it is Objectdock's compatibility mode.

So go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock\ObjectDock

right-click objectdock.exe

go to the compatability tab,

make sure the compatibility mode box is unchecked,

but ALSO click on the 'show settings for all users box' at the bottom

and make sure the box is unchecked there too. OK everything.

restart Objectdock, and launch the app, it should now be displayed in its aero glass glory.

I had the same problem with Google Chrome as the original poster, hence why I saw this post.
But currently am using Firefox 4 beta, and the aero glass wasn't showing up after launching it from OD, now it does after this fix.
I dont have Chrome on my computer any more (I love FF too much), so can't test it for that, but I'm confident that this is the solution!

s_w_f_l_lionheart
Reply #8 Wednesday, March 2, 2011 10:27 PM

I was first having problems opening google chrome with objectdockfree and it fixed itself after about 2 weeks. But I just purchase objectdock plus and I cant open chrome again Im not really trying to wait 2 weeks to see if I get lucky again. Is there any real way to fix this ive tried all kinds of things from different forums and nothing works. Also I'm having problems opening ventrilo. PLEASE HELP!

s_w_f_l_lionheart
Reply #9 Wednesday, March 2, 2011 10:29 PM

I forgot to mention I'm running Windows 7.

JanFreitag
Reply #10 Friday, March 4, 2011 12:55 AM

After scouring the web, I found a solution that works

1. Find chrome.exe (User/App Data/Local/Google...
  2. Create a shortcut for chrome.exe
  3. Move the shortcut to C:\
  4. In the shorcuts properties, set the compatibility mode to Windows Server 2003.
  5. Click on the shortcut to make sure it works
  6. in ObjectDock (I am running Objectdock Plus), create a shortcut to the shortcut and voila!