does this forum stress heavily on the use of good punctuation in all threads?

Sunday, November 23, 2008 by BluesBrother | Discussion: Community

iam known not to stress too much on good punctuation. because it takes away what a community forum is all about, relaxation and have some fun in process, apart from designing etc. i have studied some threads and replies from people who ask others to word their sentences almost to perfection. i know of an individual on another forum who banters me all the time, forcing me to use good punctuation in all my replies and threads.  of course you wouldnt find me talking like a n00b- "wassup homies" and "yo watup in da hood"  i used to talk gangsta when i was much younger..not to mention a heavy dose of leetspeak   what are you thoughts if any?

cheers.

Bebi Bulma
Reply #1 Monday, November 24, 2008 4:02 AM

I think there's a difference between having to immaculately and perfectly articulate a sentence, abiding by all the rules of the English language...and then just making sure people can actually *understand* what you're trying to say. That's why punctuation is important (especially sentences and proper paragraphs). There's nothing more frustrating than trying to read a run-on that strays from one topic to the next, with no coherent structure. Or...even worse, people typing in "SMS speak." If I have to get a translator...I'm not going to waste my time deciphering it.

Personally I'm not too worried about proper capitalization or even the occasional typo, but as I mentioned, sentences and decent paragraphs (not those huge gigantic essay-long ones) are crucial.

Nimbin
Reply #2 Monday, November 24, 2008 4:22 AM

sometimes i wonder if some of those who insist on correcting and complaining about other peoples typing and punctuation are only doing so because they have nothing of any intelligence to say.

But seperation of paragraphs makes the post easier to read and thus aids in getting help not only faster but of the correct type. Spelling is not and shouldn't be a big issue as we all know a lot of people who post for help on the forums are using english as a second or third language so they should not be belittled because they make a few errors. Just my opinion

Jafo
Reply #3 Monday, November 24, 2008 6:57 AM

Politeness...and being comprehensible are important.

You are allegedly attempting to communicate....which means you [the generic 'you'] are expecting an audience and perhaps even a response.

If all you want is to maybe shorten the life of your keyboard a little more through semi-articulate [ordered] key-punching then go for your life....however you may not attract respondents willing to decypher/interpret.

Life is short.  Treat all your words as if they were your last. [make them count].

My last will be on my gravestone...something like "Bugger that hurt"....

NightTrainthedark
Reply #4 Monday, November 24, 2008 7:19 AM

The internet is people from all around the world. Many have trouble understanding English. Your words go unheard by alot if you talk in slang or tardspeek.

jpmurph1
Reply #5 Monday, November 24, 2008 8:07 AM

this is the one place where you can get away with bad punctuation, at least that is what i have observed, and there is nothing wrong with that, as long as the message comes across in the right way, that is what is important

angus1949
Reply #6 Monday, November 24, 2008 8:41 AM

I would have to go along with Bebi's thoughts.  Personally if one has the ability to properly compose an article, no problem.  If it's a chore to do so then do your best.  If one must speak street slang of whatever variety (to the exclusion of proper English), then they should be concentrating on more education and not on Internet forums. IMHO

For non-English speakers that try to do their best I salute you.  Many of you fare much better than some of our own high school graduates, to the shame of our educational systems.

The__Goo
Reply #7 Monday, November 24, 2008 9:10 AM

To me it’s laziness.  A simple mistake here and there is one thing but when people try to communicate to other people and they use “gangsta” talk or SMS speak.   It does nothing but confuse the message.

If you think you need to type the fluctuations of speech to communicate your thoughts properly you are mistaken.  If anything you confuse the reader and make him/her work at trying to understand your own thoughts.  If you really want to put a point across then proper use of the English language is your best bet.

There are some leniencies I am willing to put up with.  I understand using the words "cant, wont, aint, dont" and so on and so forth.  But I see words such as "wut, wud, tha, da, dere, peeps, dat," and many others.  This is to me is just plain laziness.  Maybe if you were posting from your phone I would have more understanding, but you have a keyboard in front of you with all 26 letters.  Why can we not use them?  Are we so pressed for time that we can’t put the one extra letter?

I guess it all comes back to the fact that we have allowed Ebonics to come into being. (The acceptance of a portion of our culture to misuse and misspell words)  Why do we feel the need to accommodate the uneducated?

Follow these simple rules and I promise you will get your message across to the reader.  And even more so, you will the response to deserve.

1. To join two independent clauses, use a comma followed by a conjunction, a semicolon alone, or a semicolon followed by a sentence modifier.

2. Use commas to bracket nonrestrictive phrases, which are not essential to the sentence's meaning.

3. Do not use commas to bracket phrases that are essential to a sentence's meaning.

4. When beginning a sentence with an introductory phrase or an introductory (dependent) clause, include a comma.

5. To indicate possession, end a singular noun with an apostrophe followed by an "s". Otherwise, the noun's form seems plural.

6. Use proper punctuation to integrate a quotation into a sentence. If the introductory material is an independent clause, add the quotation after a colon. If the introductory material ends in "thinks," "saying," or some other verb indicating expression, use a comma.

7. Make the subject and verb agree with each other, not with a word that comes between them.

8. Be sure that a pronoun, a participial phrase, or an appositive refers clearly to the proper subject.

9. Use parallel construction to make a strong point and create a smooth flow.

10. Use the active voice unless you specifically need to use the passive.

11. Omit unnecessary words.

The__Goo
Reply #8 Monday, November 24, 2008 9:12 AM

On the other hand, how sad it is that we end up losing the elegance of the English language because of technology.

ZubaZ
Reply #9 Monday, November 24, 2008 9:14 AM

"Bugger that hurt"
Shouldn;t that be "bugger, that hurt" or "Bugger!  That Hurt." or "Bugger; that hurt!"

Jafo
Reply #10 Monday, November 24, 2008 9:20 AM

Shouldn;t that be "bugger, that hurt" or "Bugger! That Hurt." or "Bugger; that hurt!"

Don't make me hurt you....

Shouldn't that be "shouldn't"? ....Spell checker ....

Snowman
Reply #11 Monday, November 24, 2008 9:25 AM

tardspeek

turdspeek rather

ZubaZ
Reply #12 Monday, November 24, 2008 9:27 AM

Shouldn't that be "shouldn't"? .... ....
Bugger.  That hurt.

angus1949
Reply #13 Monday, November 24, 2008 9:30 AM

In regard to spelling I would refer yu to this link. https://forums.wincustomize.com/329858

angus1949
Reply #14 Monday, November 24, 2008 9:33 AM

turdspeek

Give us an example Snowman.

Reply #15 Monday, November 24, 2008 9:34 AM

Does Zubish have Zubtype and Zubspeak comopnents?

Seriously though, I like trying to help if I can...but with my limited knowledge of 'matters tech' it helps if it's an understandable question. I do check in cases where I don't understand to see where the writer is located for a hint as to why I'm having a hard time understanding....or whether (at my age) I've had a stroke.

angus1949
Reply #16 Monday, November 24, 2008 9:58 AM

Remember Doc that not everyone puts truthful information into their profiles for whatever reasons.  Some people think listing their country might be problematic for other forum members.  To that I would say yes, a very small percentage of forum members might be put off by someone because of their origin.  There will be racists and bigots in any venue.  As for me, I enjoy having people from other countries join in and do the best they can with English.  I certainly would not do very well on a Russian forum.

Jafo
Reply #17 Monday, November 24, 2008 10:03 AM

There will be racists and bigots in any venue.

Not for long....

Not here....

Reply #18 Monday, November 24, 2008 10:09 AM

angus1949

Never occurred to me Ed. I don't care where a person's from apart from any difficulties he/she might have with English. As I said, I like to try to help someone with a problem (hence what I do). If I can't I try to give the person someone to address with the problem. You should now have the reference to the original thread.

angus1949
Reply #19 Monday, November 24, 2008 10:26 AM

There will be racists and bigots in any venue.

Not for long....

Not here....

Way to go Jafo!

Never occurred to me Ed. I don't care where a person's from

I wasn't referring to you Doc, that was a generalization.

Bichur
Reply #20 Monday, November 24, 2008 10:41 AM

good punctuation stressing can at times help clarify a problem a poster might have without it the tendency is sentences that run on and on mingling various issues causing confusion separation of thought and process of what went wrong when you did what is always beneficial in trying to come up with a solution periods ending thought and paragraphs separating like thought help those who help

proper spelling hasn't really been stressed since 150,121