Strange problem with sk 6?

Sunday, October 19, 2008 by Vampothika | Discussion: WinCustomize Talk

I have noticed in vista when I skin using sk6, when I apply the skin I am working on, my taskbar dissapears and my icons from my desktop dissapear as well.  This happens no matter how many times I apply the skin.

So far, my only solution to solve this, is before I apply the new skin i am working on, I apply a different skin in windowblinds, then go to sk6 and apply my new skin.  This becomes rather cumbersome when I want to apply new work to my new skin quite often.

Is this a current problem that stardock is aware of? and can we see changes for this in the future?

my stats just in case:

Your computer has a Windows Experience Index base score of 5.6
Your Windows Graphics Experience score is 5.9

WindowBlinds version : WindowBlinds 6.3 (build 110 x86 - Vista Edition)

WindowBlinds is installed correctly on this PC
WindowBlinds appears to be activated on this PC
(BenQ T705) 1 is attached to NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

Wblind.dll      2008/09/23 07:59:20
Wbsrv.dll      2008/09/23 07:59:22
Wbconfig.exe      2008/09/23 07:59:32
Wbload.exe      2008/04/28 11:35:14
Wbhelp.dll      2008/04/28 11:35:07
Tray.dll           2008/04/28 11:35:21
Wbload.dll           2008/04/29 02:34:28
Screen.exe      2008/07/22 10:10:09

Bichur
Reply #1 Sunday, October 19, 2008 7:46 PM

my taskbar dissapears and my icons from my desktop dissapear as well.

no explorer has encountered and error type message?

Vampothika
Reply #2 Sunday, October 19, 2008 8:46 PM

oh yes....sorry, im so silly, i get a mesage that something stopped working, it seems like its a windows, explorer thing,

Bichur
Reply #3 Sunday, October 19, 2008 9:06 PM

do you have nView desktop manager turned on?

Vampothika
Reply #4 Sunday, October 19, 2008 9:56 PM

are you talking about the accessories that came with my nvidea card? cause if so, i dont install them, the first time i did i had nothing but trouble....so i just install the driver, nothing else.

oh, i saw the message again it read 'explorer has stopped responding"

Bichur
Reply #5 Sunday, October 19, 2008 10:26 PM

mine didn't need installing, it just has enable or disable

Bichur
Reply #6 Sunday, October 19, 2008 10:28 PM

i can enable mine by

right clicking the desktop, properties

settings, advanced

geforce tab

then desktop management on the popout

Vampothika
Reply #7 Sunday, October 19, 2008 11:27 PM

hmm... when i right click i have an option to view nvidia control panel........... is that it?........im not the sharpest fork in the bucket so bear with me bichur..........

Bichur
Reply #8 Monday, October 20, 2008 12:23 AM

possibly (i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed) but I'm not convinced

choose it, then when it comes up, choose 'view' > 'use classic..'

then when you right click the desktop > properties > etc

you'll get the nvidia tab

yrag
Reply #9 Monday, October 20, 2008 12:41 AM

i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed

Say it ain't so.......

If the latest Vista drivers are installed and there's one monitor, nView is off.

Kitty - Post the full Event Viewer error (Control Panel/ Administrative Tools), list your security apps and any IE (yes....IE) add-ins you have installed.

...and then Bichur will be better able to ascertain the malfunction.....

Ain't that so farmboy?

Vampothika
Reply #10 Monday, October 20, 2008 3:24 AM

guys, your going to have to speak to me and explain things to me in laymans terms, i dont undrstand alot of stuff,

i found the error report but it wont let me copy and paste so i dont know what to do.  I have windows defender and zone alarm security suite installed.  I have one monitor.

yrag
Reply #11 Monday, October 20, 2008 2:03 PM

When you open the error report, there's a 'Copy' tab in lower left. Click it and paste into Notepad. Save and post. That said (try this before messing with error report), open ZA Programs tab and put green arrows (allow) across the board for SK6 and list as 'Super Trusted' in the Trust Level column.

Vampothika
Reply #12 Monday, October 20, 2008 4:57 PM

i did the zone alarm, error report i still cant do......... ill look on line and try to work it out

Vampothika
Reply #13 Tuesday, October 21, 2008 6:41 PM

I downloaded an update for my nvidia card just in case..ever since ive completed the uis frames, its stabelized, here is the error report, i found online how to get it.

yrag
Reply #14 Tuesday, October 21, 2008 10:45 PM

I see nothing in that error report that shows a correlation between the DWM errors and SK6. The single SK6 (MMC) error appears to be an anomaly.

A repetitive DWM error like that is a known Nvidia problem. It usually involves using the Aero theme. Updating the drivers could have solved the problem, but unless you refreshed your Windows Index Score, Aero isn't running. Control Panel/ Performance Information and Tools: 'Refresh' your score and see if the problem is still gone with Aero running (that, of course, is predicated on whether you even want Aero to run)

Vampothika
Reply #15 Wednesday, October 22, 2008 12:42 AM

awsome.....thanks for that Yrag.......you rock....

Bichur