A Note About Uploading and Permissions

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 by Island Dog | Discussion: WinCustomize Talk

Hi all!

I just wanted to drop a quick note about uploading works to WinCustomize, especially in the wallpaper, DeskScapes, logon, and bootskin categories.  We have been seeing quite a few submissions that are not the original works of the person submitting it.  I don't think many of these are intentional, but I wanted to remind people that the works you submit must be your own, or with written permission for use.

Also, if you are using another persons work or stock images, you still need permission or a link to the site detailing how it is free to use.

Happy uploading!

Island Dog
Reply #1 Sunday, November 23, 2008 7:36 PM

Mirsguy
Reply #2 Sunday, November 23, 2008 8:41 PM

Thanks for the reminder, ID!

DaveBax
Reply #3 Monday, November 24, 2008 10:38 AM

Great point. I uploaded a right click Chrismas skin yesterday. It came back saying I needed permission to use other peoples graphics. All the graphics I made and would never think of using someone else's. I submitted it again with a permission txt in it. This was so someone would look at it. I asked to be advised what rules I have broken as I made  all the graphics. I'm really lost here as I did nothing wrong except to make something for the community.

Lantec
Reply #4 Monday, November 24, 2008 11:18 AM

Great point. I uploaded a right click Chrismas skin yesterday. It came back saying I needed permission to use other peoples graphics. All the graphics I made and would never think of using someone else's. I submitted it again with a permission txt in it. This was so someone would look at it. I asked to be advised what rules I have broken as I made all the graphics. I'm really lost here as I did nothing wrong except to make something for the community.

I think it was missed the second time because it came back on the same calendar day and a different Mod (probably me) assumed it still needed an email because the original moderator forgot to note that he had sent you the first email. The snafu has been sorted and the skin is in the library.

Just to add to ID's post...if you include a note in the comments that all graphics are original or that permission text is included then it makes it easier for the Moderator to do his job.

DaveBax
Reply #5 Monday, November 24, 2008 2:48 PM

Thank you Lantec. I did include a note in the second upload and said just that but guess it was just missed somehow. I have no problem going by the rules, but also have to know what I did that wasn't correct so I can make sure I don't do it again. You folks have enough to do without checking and checking so I want to try and do it correctly the first time. All straightened out now so agaqin thank you. Have a great holiday.

Island Dog
Reply #6 Friday, January 16, 2009 9:49 AM

captkidd66
Reply #7 Sunday, June 9, 2013 1:32 PM

I have been trying to upload a couple of wallpapers that I created using Bryce6.3 but I always get an error like this "Error Saving File. (1)". What is causing this? I used to upload many wallpapers and a few of things, but somehow my user name was lost and I had to create a new profile. My other user name was "captkidd57". Need help, please.

RedneckDude
Reply #8 Sunday, June 9, 2013 1:44 PM

Lantec

Good info, something I seldom do, figured it was "a given."

I'll do better...

Jafo
Reply #9 Sunday, June 9, 2013 9:11 PM

captkidd66

The most common issue is with the naming of the file/s ....alpha-numeric only....no !@ #$%^&*() , etc ....

captkidd66
Reply #10 Monday, June 10, 2013 10:18 AM

To Jafo;

There isn't anything wrong with the names of the files, for instance- Morning of Hunters Envy. That is one of the files I have been trying to upload. The image is a .jpg image, 1024x768 and 131kb in size. In the past I have uploaded many wallpaper files under my past user name, captkidd57, and have had no problems.

Don't know what is wrong, still need help.  Thanks Jafo

Island Dog
Reply #11 Monday, June 10, 2013 10:24 AM

You need to try different browsers, make sure you don't have ad-blockers used, latest versions of Flash installed, etc.

captkidd66
Reply #12 Monday, June 10, 2013 10:25 AM

Ahh, that might be the problem Island Dog. I'll check my browser settings.

Thanks much

Island Dog
Reply #13 Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:44 PM

Post updated.

Island Dog
Reply #14 Monday, February 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Jafo
Reply #15 Tuesday, January 13, 2015 8:17 AM

You know, you'd think that after 13 years a person would know by now what is required.

RedneckDude
Reply #16 Tuesday, January 13, 2015 11:44 AM

Guessing I missed something?