Site Slowness and Connection Problems

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 by andrew_ | Discussion: WinCustomize Site Issues

I've created this post to house Carvan1's replies about the site being slow, routing and connection problems. He put together a lot of good information.

Please discuss.

Cavan1
Reply #1 Tuesday, September 9, 2008 6:06 PM

The whole WC site has been painfully slow for me since mid Sunday. Sunday I had been downloading and installing some free antivirus apps but I am now back to my original set-up and if I remember correctly I did that after site started being slow to have something to do. This is the only site I am having issues with. Some images are not loading, page load times are at times over 1 min.. I am on a 5 meg DSL service. I did some test downloads from MS, download rates are 520 KB per sec. as is normal for me.

Here is a screeny of the home page, you can see I am logged in but in the top block there is ad space at the top and bottom of it but no adds, images for galleries and WC store not loaded.

Cavan1
Reply #2 Tuesday, September 9, 2008 6:13 PM

Post 2, could not add after inserting pic in first post.

Here is my tracert to WC.com

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>tracert wincustomize.com

4    10 ms     9 ms    10 ms  core3-toronto63_POS0-1.net.bell.ca [64.230.242.9
3]
  5    21 ms    21 ms    20 ms  core1-chicago23_pos12-0-0.net.bell.ca [64.230.14
7.14]
  6    23 ms    24 ms    23 ms  bx6-chicago23_POS0-3-0-0.net.bell.ca [64.230.186
.202]
  7    21 ms    20 ms    19 ms  te1-1.ccr02.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.11.
29]
  8    21 ms    21 ms    21 ms  te3-1.ccr01.ord04.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.24.
178]
  9    21 ms    20 ms    20 ms  vl3503.na03.b002326-3.ord04.atlas.cogentco.com [
66.28.65.126]
 10    21 ms    21 ms    20 ms  StardockCorporation.demarc.cogentco.com [38.112.
15.250]
 11    21 ms    22 ms    23 ms  66.28.242.218

Trace complete.

This is a pretty good tracert, so I am at a loss as to why WC is loading so slow.

Hec even logging into Photobucket and uploading above screeny was faster than any WC pages are loading for me.

Cavan1
Reply #3 Tuesday, September 9, 2008 6:35 PM

Post 3, no edit button

Forgot to mention FF 3.0.1.

After my last post loaded this page so it would be cached by FF, went back to forums page loaded it again, it took just over 50 seconds.

Hankers
Reply #4 Tuesday, September 9, 2008 6:56 PM

Hey Cavan1 - same for me since about the same time Sunday afternoon. No changes were made to my system and every other site loads fast and without issues to the images not loading as you are showing in your screenshot. Since that time I have also been unable to get on irc.stardock.com.

A ping of irc.stardock.com returns 100% dropped packets. Would be interested to hear if anyone else is unable to ping irc.stardock.com and their state/province.

Have already emailed my tracerts to support@stardock.com

Cavan1
Reply #5 Tuesday, September 9, 2008 7:58 PM

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ping irc.stardcok.com
Ping request could not find host irc.stardcok.com. Please check the name and try
 again.

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 35ms, Maximum = 36ms, Average = 35ms

Ontario Canada

?????????????????

scorpNZ
Reply #6 Tuesday, September 9, 2008 8:10 PM

There's more than just the server at stardock & the isp you use,there's a whole stack in between & more than likley that's where the issue is,the post by M-203 shows that,one would have to assume that packets would get routed thru the path of least resistance if other servers are full ?? oddly enough tho it seems fine from NZ,occasionally it'll be a bit slower but for the most part logging on n stuff is'nt an issue at anytime of day.

Cavan1
Reply #7 Tuesday, September 9, 2008 8:23 PM

Blast no edit button again, typo fixed that Hankers pointed out

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ping irc.stardock.com

Pinging irc.stardock.com [38.98.152.138] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 38.98.152.138:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

Hankers
Reply #8 Tuesday, September 9, 2008 8:31 PM

Thanks Cavan1. At least we are not alone.

Cavan1
Reply #9 Tuesday, September 9, 2008 8:34 PM

Since for Hankers and myself issues seem to be sites wide I will add this here

Just went to respond to a comment on one of my skins but alas cannot (see pic)

wulfn1
Reply #10 Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:23 PM

See?? I'm not the only one with the exact problem cavan1 is dealing with.

Though, I tried several different browsers including msn9, ie8, and ff3. I originally used ie7 too but since I dl'd the 8beta, I've been using that one.

oh, and for the irc issue, I've used sdc,impulse , and chatzilla.

Andreas Giotas
Reply #11 Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:39 PM

I am having the exact problem that you are having.  I am running vista 64 and have tried all the browsers.  The site is very slow to load and not all the icons load.  I have no problem connecting from my work PC.  I have never had this issue before Sunday.  I even tried a different restore point to see if I affected the connection.  It is still not working.  I also have flushed the DNS cache and tried deleting history and computer cache.  Please let me know if I should try something different.

Lantec
Reply #12 Wednesday, September 10, 2008 2:07 PM

I wonder if this is another level 3 - cogent type battle........possible peering disputes among some Tier 1 providers maybe?

Thuglifejunior
Reply #13 Wednesday, September 10, 2008 2:46 PM

Without getting technical as I don't know enough to do so, but I am in Scotland and experiencing the same problems as Cavan1, my whole wincustomise experience is taking a serious entertainment dive as a result, not that I would ever stop using it, but the slowness and missing images is really a drag, is there anything we can try to rectify or is it go to submit a ticket time???

andrew_
Reply #14 Wednesday, September 10, 2008 3:02 PM

Lantec, it's possible. We're looking into it as best we can. It's definately network related though, and it appears to be external to our own network. I'll post more as we know more.

In the mean time, for all.

zakai1369
Reply #15 Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:00 PM

Good to know. Been waiting for it to clear up here too.

andrew_
Reply #16 Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:03 PM

Just a reminder; 'Me too' replies are moderated in the Wincustomize Site Issues.

wulfn1
Reply #17 Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:09 PM

re: the me too moderation...

Sorry , didn't know what else to put, other than the different tools I used to come to the same concusion.

I have submitted a trace route of my own via email. Hopefully it will help to figure out where in the world the problem is stemming from.

and if not, it will show that I can access other sites that have similar graphic content and an irc server as well.

NightTrainthedark
Reply #18 Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:11 PM

My browser IE7 keeps freezing while trying to load ads. Might be related to the problem, might not.

wulfn1
Reply #19 Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:20 PM

can't edit, but apologise for the missing L in conclusion I didn't mean concussion

DJ Geyer
Reply #20 Wednesday, September 10, 2008 10:36 PM

So how many reports does it take to get attention to this issue? I just bought Objectdock and I've been trying to browse some icons for it for 2-3 days now. I feel like I'm on dial up when I get here.

Are there site admins to fix this??