Dealing with Weather Backdrops!

Easy Solution For Saving them all!

Saturday, August 16, 2008 by WebGizmos | Discussion: WinCustomize Talk

As many of you have seen I have started creating Weather backdrops with all of my recent docks and mostly everyone else has followed along with this.

Here is an easy solution for saving them and not losing any of your weather backdrops that you may start accumulating. Create a "Weather Backdrops" folder in your "My Documents" folder to store them in...and as you acquire them....just name them starting with backdrop1.png and continue on increasing your number of backdrops accordingly. Make sure that you start with the next number in line of your collection as you acquire more of them before moving them to the "Weather Backdrops folder" you created...since when they are created they are usually numbered according to the particular side docks they were created for.

Now...all you have to do if you want to change your Weather backdrop is this...copy and re-paste the backdrop you want to use to the same folder your collection is in....rename it to backdrop.png and move it to the Weather docklets folder in Objectdock and let it overwrite the one that is already in there. You can do this at any time without changing your side docks and you won't lose any backdrops...as long as you continue renumbering them in the Weather backdrops folder.

Note: This works easily with XP....not so sure now with Vista!
ZubaZ
Reply #1 Saturday, August 16, 2008 10:16 AM
What's a weather backdrop?
WebGizmos
Reply #2 Saturday, August 16, 2008 10:26 AM
Your kidding....right?
Pixeleo
Reply #3 Saturday, August 16, 2008 10:26 AM
Zubaz, Zubaz, Zubaz...who would have thought that you, of all people, would not know..

Essentially, it's this thing down here:

And during use, it's this thing down here:

Bless you.
Pixeleo
Reply #4 Saturday, August 16, 2008 10:27 AM
Your kidding....right?

Now that you mention it, I think he really is
WebGizmos
Reply #5 Saturday, August 16, 2008 11:22 AM
Now that you mention it, I think he really is

I Hope so!
ZubaZ
Reply #6 Saturday, August 16, 2008 12:13 PM
(posted for clarification of any new folks who may not be aware)

Pixeleo: Your explanation (with images was perfect!)
Mirsguy
Reply #7 Saturday, August 16, 2008 12:19 PM
Thanks for that tip, WebGizmos! Great idea!
ALMonty
Reply #8 Saturday, August 16, 2008 12:59 PM
Ok this may sound stupid. I changed the weather docklet background a while ago and I went to change it again but the image I used last time isn't in there. Just to be sure it's located C\programs\stardock\objectdock\docklets\weather. Is that correct?
Mirsguy
Reply #9 Saturday, August 16, 2008 1:03 PM
Is that correct?

Yessir! Not entirely sure what would have happened there... (
ALMonty
Reply #10 Saturday, August 16, 2008 1:26 PM
It won't let me change the backdrop. I've changed images, restarted od, restarted the computer, copied the dll from one computer to the other, unloaded the docklet and applied it again.

See I changed it for Rapture
ALMonty
Reply #11 Saturday, August 16, 2008 1:43 PM
So without reinstalling OD. I think I'll just keep it the way that it is. On a side note the image you see in the SS, it's not in the weather docklet folder.
messiah1
Reply #12 Saturday, August 16, 2008 1:47 PM

Usually, it just takes a copy paste to overwrite backdrop.png. Like WG said, you don't even have to do anything else, as soon as you mouse over the weather icon, it shows the new backdrop. Very strange Monty.
messiah1
Reply #13 Saturday, August 16, 2008 1:48 PM

Is it in the MyDocuments ObjectDock Library folder somewhere?
ALMonty
Reply #14 Saturday, August 16, 2008 1:59 PM
Is it in the MyDocuments ObjectDock Library folder somewhere?

No, I looked for it there. I even did a search for "backdrop.png" through the whole computer. I only found the default one. I'm stumped on this one
messiah1
Reply #15 Saturday, August 16, 2008 2:06 PM

Weird. Do you have two weather docklets??
ALMonty
Reply #16 Saturday, August 16, 2008 2:27 PM
No just 1 weather docklet.
Mirsguy
Reply #17 Saturday, August 16, 2008 5:11 PM
AlMonty: Just an idea; try moving the default image somewhere else, like to your desktop. Then copy a new image into the folder and make sure it is named "backdrop.png." This (hopefully) would make it so that there is only one image in that folder.

Hope this helps...
WebGizmos
Reply #18 Saturday, August 16, 2008 5:55 PM
Yeah that is kinda strange This should have been a no hassle deal.

If you saved all your weather backdrop images....including your default one that comes with it....to a separate folder....you should be able to just copy/re-paste/rename and then send it right to the weather docklet folder letting it overwrite the one that you were using and it should show up instantly. And I would image it "should" even work with Vista.
Mirsguy
Reply #19 Saturday, August 16, 2008 6:02 PM
And I would image it "should" even work with Vista.

I'm running Vista here, and yes, it works fine. BTW--nice Zubish, WebGizmos!
WebGizmos