I Need Some New PC Advice

Thursday, July 24, 2008 by PoSmedley | Discussion: WinCustomize Talk

* I tried posting this 3 times in the Personal Computing section, but the content would never show and I am unable to post any replies in thatg section as well.

Okay..so ZA starts telling me my IP is under attack by some IP as soon as I boot my PC. After 20 or so of these alerts in 3 minutes, ZA shuts down and Avast starts popping up virus alerts quicker than I can send them to the vault. About 25 or so (Literally) alerts later, everything goes apeshit.

My taskbar starts coming and going. Nothing 'WIndows' will work right because as soon as I open it, it starts vanishing with the taskbar. Avast..I run it ans it finds nothing. It won't let me see whats in the vault. I ran it 3 times. I did a diskcheck...it says all is fine. Run Avast and spybot in safemosde..it says all is fine. Can't tun Trends Home call. I run Hijack this and the parser cannot parse the log and says there is a fatal error in the log that will not let it parse.

My systsem is fried. After a year of upgrades (2 gb memory, a 5500 Nvidia card, etc) it seems all is lost. There is a good chance the memory is infected and I have no way to even tell by what.

SO..here is the situation. I have a new Acer 19" widescreen monitor, so I m good there. I just need the rest.(maybe a new keyboard) With the baby and all (life, etc.) I am on a budget...but, because I have the monitor, I have a chance to do a little better on the CPU than the little Compaq that got me through these past 5 years.

Budget..I (my wife) would like to see me keep it under $400. It needs to able to handle all the SD programs graphically (per pixel) etc. I don't have a clue about 64 bit except the complaints I see about lack of support, etc. AND, I guess I will make the Vista leap. I love to do my graphics, love music. I was looking for one that had the memory, HD, and graphics card I wanted and just the OS without all the garbage thrown in.  My step-son got an e-machine for Xmas from his Dad. I have never been impressed with them. (We have three dead ones at the office that didn't last a year). He has Vista Basic and it runs nice. I hate to ask because I can imagine the negative feedback..but any thoughts on emachines are welcome.

Here is what I am looking at currently, to give you an idea. Advice, warnings, better deals are all welcome. The last one is really closer to what I want. I don't know if any of them will meet my graphic needs to run dESKTOPx, wb AND ALL THAT. I'm also looking for the most memory and  HD for my money. My little compaq only had 80GB and it was about 70% used because I save all my graphics for reference and such for PSP.

I am open to suggestions.

Jafo
Reply #1 Thursday, July 24, 2008 7:13 AM

Po...re the posting issue...is this posted via the same browser...if so, what?

We're getting 'several' dud threads....and I need to gather intel so I can help Andrew with the issue...

LightStar
Reply #2 Thursday, July 24, 2008 7:22 AM
Of the ones you have listed, I would recommend going with WWW Link . Just remember that you might wnt to upgrade your video later, but it should suffice even with DesktopX if you have 256MB of Video memory.
BigDogBigFeet
Reply #3 Thursday, July 24, 2008 7:24 AM
I'm no yrag but, have you tried booting in safe mode and doing a full virus scan? I don't know a lot about ZA and Avast but, aren't they both both anti virus programs? If they are, you should only have one or the other installed on your PC not both.

If you are still going to throw in the towel on your PC then $400 will not buy you enough of a PC unless you buy used. And, considering it is some type of software and or virus problem a new PC will likely end up with the same problems (hate to say it), now won't it?
MadDeez
Reply #4 Thursday, July 24, 2008 7:26 AM
of those 4, i'd go with #4. numbers 2 and 3 do not include an OS, so if you go vista, you're talking another $100 or so. i ruled out #2 as soon as i saw the case, to be honest. anyway, a friend of mine has a system very similar to #4 and she has no issues with it at all. so far, it's been a pretty good system. let me put it this way: she's had it since february and hasn't had to call me once to come fix it other than the time it wouldn't turn on because the power cable was disconnected.
Bebi Bulma
Reply #5 Thursday, July 24, 2008 7:38 AM
Po...re the posting issue...is this posted via the same browser...if so, what?

I sent him a pm asking the same questions.
theAVMAN
Reply #6 Thursday, July 24, 2008 7:42 AM
PO I will send you some stuff!
* 64 Bit probably not beneficial for what you do!+ some of Stardock stuff is iffy on 64

*Nvidia or intel graphics plays better with window blinds than ATI
I have used all three.(ATI caused the dancing dragon effect on the dragon skin and forces my start menu to be wider and taller that what I set it at in SKS(IRB and me tried to figure it out but it something with ati)

anyway Hang tight I will send you something today!
PoSmedley
Reply #7 Thursday, July 24, 2008 8:05 AM
Po...re the posting issue...is this posted via the same browser...if so, what?

I tried the first 2 times in FF3 and then in IE7...no luck. I could not post in reply's either.

I tried again this mornin. Same deal.

I went to another section and was able to post an actual reply on a thread, so I posted this in a different section thru IE7 and it finally took.
PoSmedley
Reply #8 Thursday, July 24, 2008 8:13 AM

no. ZA is firewall- avast is anti-virus

granted, 400 may be laughable to some..but my compaq was 475. it originally had an intergrated video with no per pixel capability and 256MB memory. I upgraded it all and it was fine. I think 400, if buying just the CPU can get me something a lot better than the entire package I bought when i got my broke down one. As for the virus stuff...I don't think it was a software issue???...My PC was remotely hacked is what my impressions was.

Lightstar, Snidley, and Avman..thanks. I will be considering it all and I really do need the advice. Number 4 looks to be good. I didn't even notice the other had no OS with it. My brain is fried.

Avman,,looking forward to the email. May take me a day to respond. I don't have my email set-up on another PC yet.

PoSmedley
Reply #9 Thursday, July 24, 2008 8:18 AM
* I talked to our company's IT guy. After I told him all that was wrong (Honestly, too many things to even list) he told me to take the HD out and throw the rest away. Then said to install the HD in a new one , with out connecting to the internet, and run the Virus scan, clean it, get what I need off of it and then throw that away.
starkers
Reply #10 Thursday, July 24, 2008 8:39 AM
Po`... of the 4 you provided links to, N0 4 would be the better deal as it includes the OS, and being it's already loaded with Vista Home Premium with SP1 you should be pretty much ready to go without having to download too many Windows/MS Updates first.

Oh, and with 2gb of RAM and a 2.2ghz CPU it'll have plenty of power/memory to run Vista well.
teddybearcholla
Reply #11 Thursday, July 24, 2008 10:46 AM

Po, just a note about the emachine....I had one for 4 years ( actually I still have it, it just needs a a new graphics card or something...and it is windows 98) but other than that , I never had a problem with it....but then I use Nortons, and never had a problem with that either ( no viruses etc, either)...
yrag
Reply #12 Thursday, July 24, 2008 11:37 AM
Can I assume you don't want to fix this and want to get a new one?

BTW: Don't ever ask that IT guy about anything relating to computers again......
M1sterB
Reply #13 Thursday, July 24, 2008 11:39 AM
I would check out bensbargains.net for deals on computers. He lists the current deals at places like Dell and Newegg. I have seen some decent computers there for under $400.

I am curious why your IT guy told you to throw away everything (unless your hardware has failed), can't you reformat the drive after you have your data saved off the drive? I have fixed many severely infected computers with a format and reinstallation of the OS.

I wish well in any case.
Wizard1956
Reply #14 Thursday, July 24, 2008 11:40 AM
The weakest link in my $300 HP is a nVidia 6150SE.It keeps my score at 3.0 with 4.3 possible.Otherwise,this hums right along with an AMD64 w/1.5Gb ram.No problems running anything in ODNT. DeskScapes uses a bit of cpu,though.A new video card is in my distant future.

Home Basic is a stripped down version, which works great for me but some skins don't display as well(especially the taskbar and r-click menus) without Blur or aero,something you may want to consider.
As an artist,it may not work out as well for you.
Jafo
Reply #15 Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:00 PM

The only IT crowd you can trust....

Jafo
Reply #16 Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:01 PM
Philly0381
Reply #17 Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:21 PM
Po' Smedley not even close to the experience that you have, but it does seem strang that nothing can be used out of you old system. I think I'd get a second opinion there (which yrag gave)

If you are able to use anything out of the old system that allows you to spend the money towards say a better power supply. Since it looks like you haven't made a purchase yet it might be worth looking into.

I've brought a dvd drive and memory from TigerDirect with no problems. I've read though posts from folks that will never use TigerDirect.

I also agree that #4 looks like the best.
Phoon
Reply #18 Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:53 PM
I don't see the need at all to throw it away. As suggested get what you can off of it, reformat and reinstall OS. Why do you need firewall software? Get a hardware firewall and call it a day.
Lantec
Reply #19 Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:08 PM

I agree....just recommending you put an infected drive into a new machine is kinda whacko.

Boot into safe mode command line and reformat the hd, reinstall windows and see if you have any problems. Probably run like a scalded dog in comparison to before the infection.

edit: you can just stick your windows cd in and reboot........
CarGuy1
Reply #20 Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:30 PM
PO...I would have to go with # 4 also. That's a good deal. Personally, I've had good luck with Tiger Direct but try to stay away from rebates with them. They will try thier best not to fulfill them everytime.
As for hard drives, you can always add an external drive like the My Book drives from Western Digital after you fill up the 500 gig that the system comes with. I bought a 1 terabyte drive last week for less than $200.00.

Also, save the old PC and give it to the kids after you reformat.