Problems With Windows Defender Updates?

Monday, July 21, 2008 by Leo the Lion | Discussion: Personal Computing

Many of you may well use Windows Defender software to protect your PC against spyware etc. I noticed recently that the definitions were quite old and out of date and I had always thought that it would automatically update itself. I found I was not the only one who was not getting automatic updates so I visited the Defender website - above link - and downloaded the most recent definitions file. Not sure how many other people are having this problem but if you rely on this software I would suggest you check to see if you have the most recent definitions and from hereon in, check back regularly

Philly0381
Reply #1 Monday, July 21, 2008 12:40 AM
I always check for updates on boot up for all security programs before I jump on the internet.

I really don't like automatic updates, not matter what time you pick for the update it will always be when you are doing something.
Leo the Lion
Reply #2 Monday, July 21, 2008 10:16 PM
Has anyone else had this issue where Defender does not update automatically
Cavan1
Reply #3 Monday, July 21, 2008 10:34 PM
Has anyone else had this issue where Defender does not update automatically

Had auto scan turned off for a couple days so not sure, last def. version from the 17th. From help options just checked for updates, said none available. There is something not right.

Thanks for the heads up and the link Leo. Link bookmarked.
zakai1369
Reply #4 Tuesday, July 22, 2008 10:24 PM
I use it occasionally but never set anything to autoupdate. I always receive a notice for the updates through windows updates along with everything else for windows.

The only problem I've had with it is that for months now it never scans unless i start it manually. For some reason the preset scan time never starts it up.
LightStar
Reply #5 Tuesday, July 22, 2008 10:54 PM
I have had update issues too, like it does not work at all, and even when I click update it fails. So I have to go and manually download the update and install it. My automatic scans do not work either. Microsoft definitely has a winner here!

I think I am just going to uninstall it and use a quality Anti-Spyware software program instead.
Kaltes
Reply #6 Tuesday, July 22, 2008 11:25 PM
if you are going to get a dif ati virus/spyware try AVG. They have a pay version and a free versoin both work realy good.