Creating a blind with GIMP

I need a little help...

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 by mommaTee | Discussion: WindowBlinds

Hey all!

I'm trying my hand at a WB, but have run into a problem.  I'm following SKOriginals "A Complete Guide to the Start Panel", which is fantastic, but I don't know how to create an alpha channel in GIMP.  I also can't get the .tga files I do create to open in SkinStudio.

Any suggestions??
SKoriginals
Reply #1 Wednesday, May 7, 2008 3:08 PM
You can create a regular transparent png image and import it into skinstudio and it will do all the work to make the image into an alpha blended tga image.

The tutorial takes an extra step in creating your own alpha blended tga images which you do not have to do but sometimes I feel gives you more control. let me repeat...

It is NOT necessary to make the tga image in your graphics program, you can make a png and import it.
Xiandi
Reply #2 Wednesday, May 7, 2008 3:09 PM
GIMP is all I use.

You don't really need to create an alpha channel. Just make your image without the background layer. The layer named 'background' will not be transparent. When you're done creating, save it as a .png file. Then go to SKS and import it. It will automaticaly make it a tga.

If you get stuck or need more help, you can PM me and I will give you my email address.
Xiandi
Reply #3 Wednesday, May 7, 2008 3:11 PM
GIMP is all I use.

Xiandi
Reply #4 Wednesday, May 7, 2008 3:12 PM
Sorry, double post and no edit button.
mommaTee
Reply #5 Wednesday, May 7, 2008 4:15 PM
Thanks for your help, SK and Xiandi! I'm going to work on my skin some more later, but the .png's are working just fine . Thanks again!
erathoniel
Reply #6 Wednesday, May 7, 2008 5:38 PM

.PNG is what I recommend for most art. .TGA is useful, but if it auto-convets .PNG, use it instead. Plus you can use Inkscape for a .PNG, as well as GIMP.

The actual .TGA problems may be due to differing save forms. Try all types of compression and format for .TGA.

mommaTee
Reply #7 Wednesday, May 7, 2008 9:44 PM
Thanks for the tip, erathoniel!