Screen Shots in Newest section.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 by buzzh58 | Discussion: WinCustomize Talk

I know this has been talked about before but I'm sick of going to the gallery to check out what is new and finding screenshots flooding the newest section. This is a skinning site and Im looking for new skins to
download, not to look at other peoples desktops. I'm not knocking screenshots, they have their place, but it isnt in the newest skins section.

They never appeared on old site until a few months ago and it was called a glitch, if it was a glitch what are they doing on the new site.

While I'm at it, it would be nice if there were more than just six listed skins in the newest section, would save going to each individual gallery to see whats new.

Cheers
Bichur
Reply #1 Tuesday, January 23, 2007 11:14 PM
When I click gallery > newest = I see 18 Screen shots out of 48 newest.
Bebi Bulma
Reply #2 Tuesday, January 23, 2007 11:17 PM
Something I had wanted on the other site when clicking on the Gallery tab was to be able to customize which galleries would show up (like we can do with the gallery nav section). It used to show the latest 5 skins or so from ALL the galleries, and out of what, 20 or something of them I only cared about maybe 5. Just thought it would be nice to customize what results we get, afterall, this is a customization site.
buzzh58
Reply #3 Tuesday, January 23, 2007 11:21 PM
Hey Bichur, Im talking on front page of general galleries where only six newest are ever shown, and half the time theyre all screenshots
Fairyy~
Reply #4 Tuesday, January 23, 2007 11:25 PM
Its funny cause I almost started a thread about this earlier today. I was wondering why they are still in the new skin section too. It was discussed on the old site that the screen shot section would not be listed on the right side as a gallery selection because the section needed the space for newer stuff coming out with Vista etc. Then the daily shots were removed from the front page and delegated to the "Gallery" page and you have to scroll to the bottom to find it. The " Daily Shot " hasn't been changed for 8 days. Its like its been forgotten. But new screen shots get uploaded to the front page as a new skin. That just doesn't make much sense at all.

Bichur
Reply #5 Tuesday, January 23, 2007 11:33 PM

ah. and yep, 3 outta six.

buzzh58
Reply #6 Tuesday, January 23, 2007 11:39 PM
ah. and yep, 3 outta six.

3 too many
Fairyy~
Reply #7 Tuesday, January 23, 2007 11:51 PM
And......I click on screen shots every day - I still enjoy looking at them.

Many skinners started out making screen shots.

But it seems a bit unfair that new skins that sat in mod queue for a few days get uploaded and then get pushed aside by screen shots that get uploaded usually twice a day. Some are uploading 5 screen shots a day every day.. The week before one had 5 screen shots with same WB and wall in all 5 shots - all that was different was icon placement. Just seems unfair to those that make skins - especially a WB that takes 2 weeks to make.

Skinhit
Reply #8 Tuesday, January 23, 2007 11:58 PM
i wholeheartedly agree...
BigDogBigFeet
Reply #9 Wednesday, January 24, 2007 12:01 AM
hey Fairry~ you wouldn't be talkin about that Oh let's see now my memory might be a bit hAZy Dude but oh well maybe I'll think of who you're talking about if I work on it some more. Let's see I think I'll do a dozen screens on Vista Blista, Vista all over the place, Vista Blue, Vista Pink, Vista World, Vista Earth and then I'll do Vista Blista 2, Vista Blue Anew and well you get the idea. Should have them all completed in 30 mins and the only thing you'll be able to see are my screen shots.
Fairyy~
Reply #10 Wednesday, January 24, 2007 12:09 AM

Right now there are 3 that seem to think that quantity is better than quality.
But I was referring to someone that all 5 shots looked exactly the same - all that was changed in all 5 shots were icons. I still think no one should upload more than 1 shot a day period. Its not fair to those that put a lot of effort into their shots either.
But the fact still remains - screen shots are not skins...they dont belong on front page as " new skins "
Bebi Bulma
Reply #11 Wednesday, January 24, 2007 12:22 AM
I totally agree.
BigDogBigFeet
Reply #12 Wednesday, January 24, 2007 12:28 AM
Okay it was my best guess as to who it could be, but in any case you're right screen shots shouldn't be filling the newest gallery of the front page. Even the Screen Shot of the Day (week?) is at the bottom of the gallery page. The front page being cluttered with the latest gratuitous screen shot grafitti upload cheapens the sight. Looks like the sight needs some work.
c242
Reply #13 Wednesday, January 24, 2007 1:00 AM
I think a filter would be the best option.
windoe
Reply #14 Wednesday, January 24, 2007 1:32 AM
I 'll never say anything against screenshots, because I started in this category before trying anything else, and it gave me taste in skinning...but :

I agree with my friends about SS in newest section. I could make 10 shots a day if I wanted, it's not the same for a WB...

On the opposite, I think the daily shot has his place on home page.Its the only gratification for members who dont skin anything else.

Chasbo
Reply #15 Wednesday, January 24, 2007 2:46 AM
Why are the WB's and Icons and DX widgets and Walls and everything here being made? For people to use them. Doesn't it make sense to show off what people are doing with this art? Doesn't it help the site? Doesn't it ultimately help the artist. To see how different people from all over the world interpret these creations and use them. I think that's valuable and I think Brad sees that too. It can only be a good thing. Skinners should be happy that people are using their creations in ways that they may not have thought of using them. Isn't this the purpose of creating all these skins? For people to use them?
buzzh58
Reply #16 Wednesday, January 24, 2007 3:13 AM
Chasbo no ones saying that screenshots shouldnt be made or shown,they do have their merits and they do have their own gallery, I just dont think they should be in the new skins gallery.
dragonmage
Reply #17 Wednesday, January 24, 2007 3:23 AM
Chasbo I would agree that screenshots show off what people are doing with the things they dl, but they should be required to link to the things they used in making the screenshot. I don't know how many times I've seen something in a screenshot that I would like to get, but have know idea what the skin is called even, to search for it. The vast majority might have a couple of words in the description, like "thx to artists", completely useless.

As far as screenshots in the "Newest", I think screenshots should be put in a seperate Newest section.

Newest Skins

Newest Screenshots

Simplest and most logical solution imho...
Fairyy~
Reply #18 Wednesday, January 24, 2007 4:59 AM

Chasbo, I always look at your screen shots. Screen shots are a great way for skinners to see their work being used. I love to look at screen shots and see how others match up different elements with blinds and walls. Some take all day making one screen shot.

The main point that buzzh58 was making is when anyone looks at the " Newest" section they are checking for the newest skins. Sometimes the whole section is filled with screen shots. If you had spent 2 weeks making a windowblind wouldnt you like to see it listed as " New" for more than 30 seconds ? There are only 6 places for " newest" So your new windowblind is followed by 6 screen shots mostly by the same person and now your windowblind is bumped off the page already. That is the only thing being debated here. If WC suddenly wanted to get rid of screen shots altogether , I'd be the first in line to oppose that idea.

Dragonmage: I agree about screen shots with no info on what elements were used to make shot. But you can't force people to do it. Thats what makes a good screen shot and a mediocre screen shot and it's why you can rate them.
Sometimes people just make an occasional screen shot so they might not even remember where they got the items they used. Most that make SS's daily do include info and will always send you a wallpaper if they don't remember where they got it.
Chasbo
Reply #19 Wednesday, January 24, 2007 7:38 AM
I stand corrected. I agree that people should list what went into the shot.

Not actually making skins, I guess I was a little out of line. Sorry.
BigDogBigFeet
Reply #20 Wednesday, January 24, 2007 7:49 AM
On the opposite, I think the daily shot has it's place on home page. It's the only gratification for members who dont skin anything else
I tend to agree with this. A more visible high quality screen shot of the day helps the sight and promotes skinner's work.