Folder icons not changing..

Saturday, March 12, 2005 by BNUFaNtAsMa | Discussion: IconPackager

I'm using Icon Packager version 2.50e, on Windows XP Pro.. with windowblinds. It seems as if all of the other icons are applied, but the default windows folder icons remain. In Icon Packager, if I browse for something, the folders are chaned there, but they don't change anywhere else. Thanks in advance for any help.
Corky_O
Reply #1 Saturday, March 12, 2005 7:41 PM
BNUFaNtAsMa,

Start Icon Packager, then verify that the "Folders" option is selected in the "Include" list on the right side of configuration panel, if not selected - select it and reapply the package.

If it is already selected, I would start by trying the following in the Icon Packager configuration panel:

Go to "Tools" menu, and select "Repair Icon Images", click "Yes" to have Icon Packager repair images, then click "OK" - see if this corrects the problem.

If this does not fix it, try the following:

Start Icon Packager again and go back to "Tools" menu and select "Rebuild Icon Cache", and then "Restore all Icons" and click "OK" - this should restore all defaults and close the configuration panel.

Reboot computer, and run Icon Packager again, try loading a package again.

Note - you may want to check for updates if you are elligible. I have Object Desktop suite and the current official released version is 2.50h.087, and works fine.

Post here again if the problem persists, and someone more advanced than I is bound to stop by and offer some help.

I hope this helps.
BNUFaNtAsMa
Reply #2 Saturday, March 12, 2005 10:21 PM
1) Yes, the Folders option is checked.
2 & 3) Just tried with no luck
4) I don't think that I'm elligible for updates.. or, if I am, I don't see an option to do it.
Corky_O
Reply #3 Saturday, March 12, 2005 11:05 PM
Hmm,

Okay, let's see if this will work (I apologize if you have already tried this one):

Start Icon Packager, Select the Icons & Cursors category at left of configuration panel - this should give you a list of images in the list at center.

Click the "Folders" button on top to see if the default windows folder shows up in the list (it may or may not since there is an issue). If it does, highlight it and click the "Change" button to the right of this list, navigate to the Icon Package file (".icl") - should be something like - C:\Program Files\Stardock\Icon Packager\Themes\"name of package"\"name of package.icl".

Select the ".icl" file and you should now see all the icons that are part of the package.

Select the folder icon that you want, then click "Apply".

That should do it.

If it does not show the default icon in the list, I would use the "Restore all Icons" option in the IconPackager tools menu, then click "OK".

Open any windows explorer and go to "Tools>Folder Options" and click the "Restore defaults" button on both the "General" and "View" tabs, then click "Apply".

Try reapplying a package.

Sorry about all the steps.

If you want to post again and leave either the name of the package or a link to it, I would be happy to test it for you.
BNUFaNtAsMa
Reply #4 Sunday, March 13, 2005 12:21 AM
Yeah, I had already tried that and it didn't work. I also tried putting the defaults back in, but that didn't solve the problem either.

I just uninstalled and reinstalled, but that didn't help any, either. I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that I'm using BlackBox as my shell instead of explorer.exe. I don't think that it would, but it's possible, I guess..
Corky_O
Reply #5 Sunday, March 13, 2005 12:41 AM
Could be,

Testing it with "explorer.exe" should be fairly definitive.

Good luck.
BNUFaNtAsMa
Reply #6 Sunday, March 13, 2005 3:23 PM
I did a little searching on the BlackBox forums and I found a post that said that folder and drive icons can only be changed by programs like Icon Packager while explorer.exe is running.. guess I'll just have to find another way to change the folder and drive icons.

Thanks for at least trying to help me