Important to remember before updating to W11

You have 10 days to roll back or...

Friday, July 16, 2021 by DrJBHL | Discussion: Windows Discussion

If you're planning to upgrade to W11 from W10, consider doing it on a machine on which you don't have valuable items.

A good reason for that is this:

don5318
Reply #1 Friday, July 16, 2021 12:49 AM

When the time comes to upgrade to Windows 11 from Windows 10 on my main system, I'll do a clean install, and I always keep backups of my important data, and files, but good suggestion for those who don't Doc!

Reply #2 Friday, July 16, 2021 1:08 AM

don5318

I'll do a clean install

The only way to go imo, Don.

uk58
Reply #3 Friday, July 16, 2021 3:51 AM

removed

SamEVO
Reply #4 Friday, July 16, 2021 7:26 AM

"upgrading" to Windows 11 won't be an issue for me since my 9 year old system that still does everything I need or want it to do can't get Win 11. My mobo does not have and can not get any TPM. I'm not building a new system just to get Win 11. This rig was a top of the line rig when I built it. To me, it still is. Of course, I've added things such as SSD's, more HHD's, and new vid card. To all of you who install  Win 11, I wish you  good luck  and enjoyment. Maybe some day I'll join you but not for the foreseeable future.

LightStar
Reply #5 Friday, July 16, 2021 8:42 AM

SamEVO

Sadly it will be the same here, My systems was custom built in 2009 and was top of the line at the time, Core I7 920, dual nVidia GeForce GTX 960 4GB video cards... and I have since upgraded it to 24GB of DDR3 RAM and every drive is an SSD. My MOBO has no TPM either and I cannot afford to get a new system, so I guess if and when when Windowblinds 11 comes out, no Windows 11 WB's from me.

don5318
Reply #6 Friday, July 16, 2021 9:53 AM

Not really and not for everyone if you bought hundreds and programs registered for this PC With Clean Install you lose the registration and have many problems because some software can only be registered once and the registrations are lost due to Clean Install because many registrations are stored hidden on the hard disk. If you have many programs needs weeks for the installation and setting up the software A full image of the partition is a good thing before an update to return to the old state if you have problems

Well, in my situation, all programs I use, I can Deactivate them, then after clean install, type in my registration, and I'm good to go, that, and I have hard copies of my registration/key codes, so I'm covered, it's been my experience, the software/programs I've purchased (online), I simply copy/print the key/registration code out, and it's helped me so far!   ...and I don't need weeks to install my programs, after a clean install, all can be done in an hour, but, that's just me, can't speak for anyone else.

Reply #7 Friday, July 16, 2021 11:33 AM

don5318

That's the right way to do it, Don. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

don5318
Reply #8 Friday, July 16, 2021 1:18 PM

That's the right way to do it, Don. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Kind of what I thought Doc, thanks!

I mean, my method may not be for everyone, a person has their own special way of doing things.

uk58
Reply #9 Friday, July 16, 2021 2:20 PM

removed

starkers
Reply #10 Friday, July 16, 2021 8:37 PM

don5318

Quoting uk58,

Same here, all my purchased programs can be reinstalled several times without issue ... all I have to do is enter the product keys, of which I also have hard copies, and I'm right to go.  If I sometimes receive an activations error I just go to the site, such as Ashampoo, and reset my software list for a new machine, etc, and all is good.

I won't be upgrading to Win 11 until after the official release in a few months time, so it's a bridge I'll cross at the time.

kona0197
Reply #11 Sunday, July 18, 2021 4:21 AM

So if you want to do a clean install will MS let you activate Windows 11 if you had a legit Windows 10 install? My Windows 10 activation says activated with a digital key tied to your MS account. Wonder if 11 will say the same.

don5318
Reply #12 Sunday, July 18, 2021 1:05 PM

kona0197

It does, I'm running Windows Insider Dev version of Windows 11 (Clean install), and under Activation, it says; "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account."