Dark on Netflix is the best Science Fiction Series ever made

And maybe the best ever series, period

Monday, December 21, 2020 by 2of3 | Discussion: Movies & TV & Books

The series takes place in the Fictive town of Winden (Vinden) in Germany. You might think that it is similar to Stranger Things given that the original premise is closely related. I.E. a missing boy in a small town. But you will soon realize that this is so much more.

There are a several things that set this apart from any other series that I've seen and I'll try to outline them here.

1. The 3 seasons are meticulously planned from start to finish. The modern way of TV making is often to drag out a series as long as possible to maximize profit. They'll keep it going as long as they can....as long as the interest is there. This results in many cases in a hurried and sloppy emergency wrap up on the last season (I'm looking at you GOT). You won't find this in DARK. It's 3 seasons. It was intended to be 3 seasons. The complex story needed 3 seasons to come to completion in a satisfying matter and I found myself worrying that the show runners wouldn't be able to pull it off. But incredibly, they did!

2. The actors. Both the younger and older cast do a phenomenal job! Everyone is pulling their weight here. Please watch this in the original German. Do yourself a favor and suffer through the subtitles. The casting is excellent as well (tiny spoiler). We're seeing younger and older versions of each character and you BELIEVE it!

3. Cinematography and music. The color tones and framing of each shot really plays a huge part in the storytelling. Coupled with the soundtrack gives it a creepy and unsettling mood. Just amazing!

4. The story. It's so damn confusing! I just love convoluted plots that keep you wondering WTF is going on! I think I spent at least 50% of the time scratching my head. As I stated earlier, I was worried that they wouldn't manage to land the ending, but they sure did. And if your heart isn't made of stone, you'll be like me sitting there with tears running down your face as it concludes.

I cannot overstate what an impact this series has made on me and I believe I will be judging everything I watch in the future in how it compares to Dark.

Here is a video review of the show. I think this guy does a great job explaining why you should watch it.

2of3
Reply #1 Monday, December 21, 2020 6:23 PM

I should warn you that this show is quite violent. So if you're sensitive to that then this isn't for you.

JanOscar
Reply #2 Monday, December 21, 2020 9:06 PM

Season 1 & 2 were excellent. Season 3... I started to watch, but didn't like it at all. Maybe I'll give it another try. Winter is coming....

neone6
Reply #3 Monday, December 21, 2020 9:07 PM

Seenit     Deep shit!

2of3
Reply #4 Tuesday, December 22, 2020 5:34 AM

JanOscar

Yes, I do recall that S3 started off a bit slow. Believe me it picks up FAST and takes you for quite a ride!

BlackSmokeDMax
Reply #5 Wednesday, December 23, 2020 10:26 AM

Thanks, I'll give it a look.

While Stranger Things was good, it was very, very over-rated/hyped. Especially the bit about the 80s retro it had going on.

Chasbo
Reply #6 Wednesday, December 23, 2020 10:55 AM

BlackSmokeDMax

Thanks, I'll give it a look.

I couldn't agree more. Season one was pretty damn good.

Black Mirror, also Netflix, Don't know if it counts because it wasn't a single story.

alaknebs
Reply #7 Wednesday, December 23, 2020 6:54 PM

wasn't the problem with got that they basically gone past the books?

2of3
Reply #8 Saturday, January 9, 2021 2:40 PM

alaknebs

wasn't the problem with got that they basically gone past the books?
If you are referring to GOT, it is true that they went into new territory (beyond the books), but George RR Martin was involved with the series even up to season 8. There's no excuse for bad writing IMO.

2of3
Reply #9 Saturday, January 9, 2021 2:50 PM

I loved Stranger Things season one. If they had made it 3 really planned out seasons then wrapped it up, they could have had a winner.

That's the strength of Dark: The show runners had the ending all planned out and they intended it to span 3 seasons only.

JanOscar
Reply #10 Saturday, January 9, 2021 8:05 PM

Exactly. And some (or quite a lot, actually) of the dialogue seemed to be written for 7 year olds although the series had a PG <12.

That tips the scale for me. I will find time to watch it soon. Thanks for the info, Tim!

VirgonJ
Reply #11 Tuesday, January 12, 2021 6:10 AM

Never heard about this TV show, will give it a look later this week for sure

Timmaigh
Reply #12 Tuesday, January 12, 2021 12:58 PM

I loved the initial season of Dark, it was flawless all-around. The season 2 was bit weaker, but still quite good. The third one however, was a disaster IMO. By adding another level of complexity to already pretty complex show, it just became difficult to watch to me and not fun. Especially, when all of it was tied to the event from previous season, which aired year before and i did not remember every little detail. I honestly believe the creators went over the top, they have absolute winner on their hands, but did not know what do it with it, it had literally potential to be top 5 show of all times would it be handled better.

Additionally, i felt it veered off from its sort of initial first season promise of being bit of "cosmic horror" thing, it was at times alluded the Hanno/Noah character to be possibly some kind of incarnate of devil, which indeed, did not happen in the end, and i suppose i would have liked it bit more, if the show had that dimension.

You know, bit of a Event Horizon vibe.  I think Castle Rock in its first season especially, despite not being as fun to watch as initial season of Dark, would say even boring and dull to watch at times, did better job in that regard.

The ending however, was rather satisfying. It sort of explained everything and concluded things, that was the silver lining.

2of3
Reply #13 Thursday, January 14, 2021 4:35 PM

I've added a video review to the OP.