Remember RightClick? I tried it on Windows 10

Friday, June 26, 2020 by Island Dog | Discussion: Software Blog

In one of my last blogs, I downloaded and tried out ObjectBar on my Windows 10 laptop. It was a fun experiment, and I enjoyed reading your comments on whether we should try to bring back ObjectBar. Since that got such a good response, I'd like to take a look at another app that was quite popular many years ago. It's one of my personal favorites: RightClick.

RightClick was first released somewhere around 2005, and was made in order to let Windows XP users greatly enhance the right-click desktop menu. The custom menus would let you add items such as shortcuts, system commands, tasks, and much more. You could even add DesktopX widgets to the menu!

Of course it was also skinnable, and even worked with WindowBlinds. We had a gallery on WinCustomize for RightClick skins.

Unfortunately, Windows 10 did not seem to work very well with RightClick. It took some time to get installed, and then only the menu editor would work - and that was about all I could do with Windows 10. I was a bit disappointed I couldn't get it to work, but it got me thinking about what I could possibly use it for now.

I used to setup my right-click menu to have quick access to a favorite folder, commonly used apps, and a widget or two. I also would use RightClick to completely replace the start menu for when I wanted a really minimal desktop.

Did any of you use RightClick back when it was available? What did you use it for, and what would uses do you think it should have for Windows 10?

We definitely want your feedback, so let us know in the comments below!

RedneckDude
Reply #1 Friday, June 26, 2020 12:29 PM

This would be nice!

JanOscar
Reply #2 Friday, June 26, 2020 12:43 PM

I used RightClick a lot. Skins were one thing, but sorting, (re)arranging & grouping items were extremely useful. Now I use Right Click Enhancer. A great little app that also has other functions like File Type Editor, Send To Manager, New Menu Editor, SmartSFV & more.

c242
Reply #3 Saturday, June 27, 2020 11:20 AM

TechnoBearDan
Reply #4 Saturday, June 27, 2020 4:03 PM

This was one of my favorite apps!  I miss it!

c242
Reply #5 Sunday, June 28, 2020 6:07 AM

Found a susbstitute in Nextstart though. Using middle/mousewheel-click.

CharlesCS
Reply #6 Tuesday, June 30, 2020 9:36 PM

First let me say damn it's been a lot of summers since I've been here. I really miss this place. Glad to see some of the original members still active.

Now, with that said, I remember this app. I used to love it. It's a shame it doesn't work on Win10. I also miss SysMetrix which you guys skinned as well. that was a great app.

Nimbin
Reply #7 Tuesday, June 30, 2020 9:52 PM

it would be great to have RC working on Win 10. i use right click extender at the moment so if there is ever a win 10 version 0f RC some of the options available on RC extender would be great. IE the ability to have access to task manager, msconfig and other windows apps. i cant remember if RC had the option to add shutdown, restart, lock and sleep to it so those would be nice.

RedneckDude
Reply #8 Tuesday, June 30, 2020 11:58 PM

Good to see you here, Charlie!!