How Do I Save Theme

Saturday, June 6, 2020 by aceuk007 | Discussion: DesktopX

How do I save my desktopX theme as a .dxtheme or .Desktop file

DaveRI
Reply #1 Saturday, June 6, 2020 10:35 AM

While in DTX Builder, rightclick on the DTX systray icon and select "Save desktop as".  Note that in the window that pops up, you need to specify the entire path with the file name.

aceuk007
Reply #2 Saturday, June 6, 2020 2:06 PM

I'm running windows 7 and so it doesn't have a systray. Is there another way.

DaveRI
Reply #3 Saturday, June 6, 2020 2:10 PM

I'm referring to the same icon I told you about before to launch the navigator.  You don't have that?

DaveRI
Reply #4 Saturday, June 6, 2020 2:37 PM

It's the same area of your taskbar as the speaker/sound icon.

aceuk007
Reply #5 Saturday, June 6, 2020 3:56 PM

Hi DaveRI - In Windows 7 this area is not supported and so there is no display. But if I Right-Click on desktop I get a menu with that option.

See this Pic

Strange thing  is that as you can see in the window that is open which is where the save was made to it is not there.

It was named Aceuk-Colony-H2so4. I also tried saving it elsewhere and again it did not show.

Any Ideas

DaveRI
Reply #6 Saturday, June 6, 2020 4:31 PM

Honestly that image is way too small for me to see anything.  Anyway there are a couple of other options:

Option 1: In your folder c:\Program Files(x86)\Stardock\Object Desktop\DesktopX there should be a file DesktopX Helper.exe.  Double click on that and it'll open a widget (which will not be saved with your desktop).  The 3rd icon on the bottom is "Save Desktop As".  Watch the mouseover tooltip because the icon directly above it is merely "Save Desktop".

Option 2:  While DesktopX Builder is running, if you launch it again from the StartMenu or shortcut, you should see this Properties dialog which includes a "Desktop" tab with a "Save As" button in it.

JanOscar
Reply #7 Saturday, June 6, 2020 4:55 PM

DaveRI

Honestly that image is way too small for me to see anything.
Click to enlarge?

aceuk007
Reply #8 Saturday, June 6, 2020 4:56 PM

If you put the mouse over the pic and click it will magnify it.

Re Option 1 - Tried this and opens up "save as window" same as in centre of my pic.

Option 2 - Use this all the time to save updates made to the desktop.

Thing is as in my last post although I click save, a file never appears in the destination.

If you check out my pic again you will see save as window showing saved path and main window which is the destination after I have clicked save. Should show a file named  Aceuk-Colony-H2so4 , as you can see it is not there.

DaveRI
Reply #9 Saturday, June 6, 2020 5:06 PM

Ah, new picture is much better.  It looks like you're trying to save it to the C:\Programs Files.... directory, it's probably getting blocked by either Windows or your antivirus.  Try saving it to a less restricted folder, such as one in your "My Documents" folder.

aceuk007
Reply #10 Saturday, June 6, 2020 5:27 PM

Okay I tried My Documents" folder and it worked. Thank you.

But It makes me wonder  when I save it to C:\Programs Files....etc which I have been doing many times while editing the theme. I get a confirmation message saying it has been saved and I have switched between different themes and back to my saved one. Where was the saved file going as it was not in the destination folder as we have seen.

DaveRI
Reply #11 Saturday, June 6, 2020 5:48 PM

If it was actually trying to save it to c:\Programs... it probably wasn't saving at all.  Keep in mind that you're using a discontinued, unsupported program that hasn't been updated in years.

Another possibility is you've been saving it to and loading it from the same folder as the original theme you initially loaded.

Otherwise, there's always a file search.

DaveRI
Reply #12 Saturday, June 6, 2020 5:53 PM

aceuk007

I have switched between different themes and back to my saved one.

or where those different themes are.

aceuk007
Reply #13 Saturday, June 6, 2020 6:21 PM

I found it. I never thought to do a windows search for the file. It was here:-

C:\Users\Aceuk\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Stardock\Object Desktop\DesktopX\Themes.

It showed a save made earlier with a .dxtheme  and the one I saved in the documents folder had a .Desktop

any reason why ?

Also do you know where scripts are stored for the theme. In this theme you click on Icon which makes a bar popout horizontally. I would like to mode this to make it go vertically.

DaveRI
Reply #14 Saturday, June 6, 2020 6:46 PM

No I'm afraid I can only help you with general things.  Glad you found it though.

aceuk007
Reply #15 Saturday, June 6, 2020 6:49 PM

OK thanks for your help

RedneckDude
Reply #16 Saturday, June 6, 2020 9:20 PM

aceuk007

It is my experience that the default save directory is in public documents/stardock/desktopX